Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Self-spotting via Mobile phone

Following my failed attempt to activate GW/MW-033 on 1st June (Mainly my fault - I was way out on the ETA given to, and posted by, G0NES), can anyone give me concise directions to self-spot by mobile phone. I’m on T-mobile pay-as-you-go, with a SAGEM MY X5-2 phone.

Many thanks, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to M0DFA:

It’s easy, you ring the wife…;-))

In reply to M0DFA:

Do you mean in addition to the ones on the website?

http://www.sota.org.uk/spotlite.htm

Richard

In reply to M0DFA:

You just call on 5.3985 MHz and Alistair (VMZ), Graham (JZF), Don (NES), Steve (AAV), Mike (DSP) etc will spot for you. They provide a fantastic service.

Thanks Alistair for all the support yesterday.

Start by getting your phone to work on WAP over GPRS. Forget SOTAwatch until that is working.

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to GW4BVE:

hi john

when the going gets tough we step up a gear hi, it’s easy from the shack innit.

73s alistair

gw0vmz

In reply to GW4BVE:

Hi John

It’s always a pleasure and almost a race to get the spots on first, hi.

73 Mike

In reply to GW4BVE:

Start by getting your phone to work on WAP over GPRS. Forget SOTAwatch until that is working.

I’m not understanding this - it seems like a contradiction in itself! I am finding that SOTAwatch is working fine, both on my PC and on my 'phone.

I echo John’s (and subsequent) comments about the spotting service offered by shack-based chasers. It is always a welcome “bit less to do” on a summit when a chaser mentions those words “I’m just putting you on the Spots now…”. In fact it is often good fun when returning home from an activation (especially when several bands/modes have been used) to look back at the day’s spots and see just how accurately you have been tracked! Big Brother is watching!

Oh yes, Big Brother - another reason to start going out doing evening activations for many of us I guess…

In reply to G4MD: The time I need to be able to self-spot is when we are away from the home QTH for a few days - usually a caravan trip and well away from computer terminals. On the smaller summits, my wife is usually there as well, and that does cause a few timing problems!

In reply to GW4BVE: I’m reluctant to take too much advantage of the good offices of some of the chasers, I but I am very gratefull for the spots when I’m on station.
5.3985 - Not on HF yet, but it might happen this summer.
WAP over GPRS? Problem is, my phone handbook was written by a computer man and is about as intelligable to me as Chaucer in Old English.

In reply to M0DFA:

Maybe best to drop into the High Street shop for your service provider where a spotty youth will sort it (if you are lucky).

Richard

In reply to M0DFA:

Sorry about the flippancy, Dave - my sense of humour is going to get me into trouble one of these days!

73 de Paul G4MD