Same OP chased me more than once = counts or not?

Hi. I looked at the GRs, but either I missed a clause on this or it is not clearly stated. Questions are about the following scenarios for my log as an Activator:

(1) I am being chased by a station, say SP1ABCD on 7.032 cw, then after a while the same station calls me at 14.062 cw. Does this qualify as 2 QSO’s or 1 in SOTA QSO’s count?
(2) I am being chased by a station SP1ABCD on 7.032 cw, then after a while the station calls me on 7.150 ssb. Does this qualify as 2QSO’s or 1 in SOTA QSO’s count?
(3) I am being chased by a station SP1ABCD on 7.032 cw, then after a while the operator calls me also at 7.032 cw but as a club station SP1PPPP. Does this count as 2QSO’s or 1?

I know I log those as such, because my log is the actual log of all QSOs regardless SOTA, but what do I submit to the SOTA database? And even if I submit the “dupes” (well, are they really dupes?), then how will the database recognize that (for example I have altogether 4QSO’s, of which 2 are as in any of the scenarios mentioned above)? And finally - if next QSO with the same OP can or cannot be treated as another QSO SOTA-wise, then which paragraph says so?

Thanks for your feedback.

(just to emphasize, I am asking as an Activator being chased and just my log, not the log of the OP mentioned in the scenarios - I even assume the OP is not a regular SOTA chaser and does not log at all, just for the clarity of the ask).

Log everything. The DB will work out the QSO count, points etc.

(1) Yes, it will count as two QSOs in the QSO count, but only one towards your 4 needed to qualify for the points.

(2) Same answer as (1).

(3) Counts as two distinct QSOs, and therefore 2 towards the requisite 4 for points qualification.

4 Likes

Possible the operator concerned could be collecting on different bands.

Here in UK Sotas are well useful as we can use them towards WAB awards also as in there WAB square there in and if possible a Trig point common on many UK Sotas.

In my case if a UK Sota is operating on say 160m 80m and 40m and possible 2m I can hear them i will make contact and chase them for the WAB side of things as my award trackers are multi bands and mixed for WAB. BUT only LOG one contact in me Sota logs as extra points for extra bands working is not possible.

One Sota, one lot of points per day no matter band worked.

If i get station when out on Sota summit my log will show all worked and on various bands i have put the Sota out on. I have had people chase me on Kitt hill on 80m 40m and 20m from same station.

But its nice to know you have made the contacts via various bands that are working at time.

karl

1 Like

See the General Rules, 3.7.1.8.

2 Likes

OK, clear now - it is a Station not OP what counts as 1 of the minimum 4 for scoring the Activation in the ranking.

Number of general QSO’s for this Activation though would be actual number of lines in my log (as per Tom’s reply)

Thanks!

1 Like

it counts if the qso is not at the same Band & mode, i say tha examble for my self allways chasing same sations but diferend bands it ok i thnk that is helpfull for the Activators…:slight_smile:

My question is:when a chaser uses different station callsigns as portable, mobile and his own from QTH does it count as different stations?For example:SV2OXS, SV2OXS/P and SV2OXS/M.Or another callsign from a different association, but the same operator.

73 Christos

Good question.

To me it sounds like they all count as one station - station is one callsign, and /p /m, etc - those are just voluntary suffixes to indicate type of operation - it is still one station to me (=1 license, same). Looking forward to hearing any other points of view.

1 Like

The SOTA Database does not count SV2OXS, SV2OXS/P, SV2OXS/M as different stations in terms of getting the 4 contacts required to qualify for the points for an activation. However, I’m pretty certain that (for instance) LZ/SV2OXS/P would count as different.

Looking at the code, I’m not sure that’s true. It attempts to get down to a callsign root for identity purposes, and looks to remove prefixes and suffixes. I can’t be bothered looking deeper to see how far down the rabbit hole that code is used in determining score, but of course the chances of being chased by DL/M1EYP and EA8/M1EYP in one activation are small

True. But the chances of being chased by M1EYP/M and MW1EYP/M in one activation are somewhat greater.

Tom, so here I have a different opinion. I would treat xx/call still as the same station. Station is determined by a license. Whether the station is /p or prefixed by another country prefix - IT is still the same station license by 1 license.

I would only agree this is a different station if operating in another country where one gets a license based on the mother callsign with just a prefix od the visited country.

Anyway, as started by another reply - this is theoretical to me, as unlikely to operate during one activation as a chaser from 2 countries. :slight_smile:

Let’s imagine an activator in Liechtenstein HB0 working on 2m FM. It would be perfectly feasible for a local chaser with callsign HB0XXX, chasing that activator from Switzerland as HB/HB0XXX/M, then our chaser crosses the border and chases him again as HB0XXX/M. Finally, our chaser crosses another border and chases him again as OE/HB0XXX/M.
If you are in HB0, you can get into Switzerland (HB) or Austria (OE) withing just a few minutes. I did it some years ago.
Look at its size.
imagen

Guru

And that’s one station to me, just moving across the border.

Yes, I know. The database would consider those 3 QSOs as just one in terms of summit qualifying QSOs, but I honestly don’t see it fair considering this as one single station, therefore just one QSO, but considering 2 QSOs if that operator makes another QSO with the club callsign.
I believe it was several years ago when a callsign was issued for a station but I believe in these days a callsign is issued for an operator.
In the first case of a callsign issued for a station, the operator in title of his owned station had to use his station callsing when transmitting from his entitled station (i.e. EA2AA), but in case he would go to some other colleague’s station with callsign EA4BB and he would wish to transmit, he would have to use the transmitting station callsing EA4BB stroked his own station callsing EA2AA = EA4BB/EA2AA.
This was several years ago, at least in EA and it’s, fortunately, not anymore like that, as current callsigns are issued to the operator, not the radio station and we can use our own operator callsing no matter which station we are transmitting with.
This argument is to explain that if a callsing is issued for an operator, I don’t see very clear why the database will count 2 different summit qualifying QSOs if one single operator makes one QSO with his own callsing and then a second QSO with his club station callsign, being both QSOs made with exactly the same radio station, same rig, same antenna, same location, same everything.

Guru

Earlier this year while on G/LD-037 I worked M0GHM/M in England and again after he crossed the border into Scotland as MM0GHM/M and I asked the question as to whether or not this counted as 2 qsos towards the 4 required to qualify the summit. The verdict was that it wouldn’t because it was the same station. Fortunately I had worked another 3 stations so I did qualify the summit.

Nick

The code will remove prefix and suffixes so DL/M1EYP and M1EYP/P should resolve to the same station and will only count once. But the stange UK secondary locators may get through. That’s something that needs fixing I think.

HB/ is no valid prefix. :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s either HB9 for a full license or HB3 for a novice. They use also HB4 for military stations.

There are HAMS who have another callsign from Germany or Malta, how could the system recognise this as one operator?

If I was to fly to Malta and set up /P and somehow work the same activation with a 9H call as I’d worked before leaving Manchester on my home call - then I reckon that’s pretty much two different stations and nothing for the database to worry about.

But then I personally think operating /M from either side of a national border from two different DXCCs is sufficiently distinct enough too, and disagree with Andy that it needs fixing. In any case, I’d say it is such a rare scenario that (a) this happens AND (b) it makes a difference to whether you get your four contacts or not, that it’s not worth what would be disproportionate attention.

A bit like working the same person again, but this time under their old G6 / Intermediate / Foundation / club callsign. Same op, same equipment, but a different station! Many find that hard to swallow, and it is understandable why. But the effort involved in enabling the Database to police such scenarios would be off the scale - and it’s not really harming anyone is it?

Put it this way - I’d rather a fellow SOTA activator who was struggling, acquired their 4th contact via one of these means, than they had to fail the activation.