Same activator on different summits = same station

Hi

A question that has been brought up as a result of the S2S support.

The rules state that you need 4 X QSOs with different stations to collect points for activation. With the recent S2S frenzy we have seen stations ‘summit hop’ where they intent ally activate multiple summits in a day. When you are chasing these from another summit it appears a valid station is call sign only as the second QSO does not count to the total for your summit activation.

i.e. VK3ZPF/P on VK3/VC-013 and later VK3ZPF/P on VK3/VC-033 appear to count as a single contact for the purpose of qualifying the summit VK3/VC-018 your are activating.

Whilst this has not affected myself, I can see a situation where you are on a remote marginal summit and squeezing all QSOs to qualify the summit with activate activators on other summits.

Can this change or is it a case of same call sign within UTC day regardless of position?

Allen
VK3HRA

In terms of activating, yes. That wouldn’t count as a distinct contact. However, for the chaser award, and indeed the S2S award, credit for both (or more) of the other station’s summits will be scored.

It is difficult to imagine that you would still be trying in vain to obtain a 4th contact by the time a station you have worked S2S has reached a second summit in his/her expedition! Though I accept it is technically possible!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

It is difficult to imagine that you would still be trying in vain to
obtain a 4th contact by the time a station you have worked S2S has
reached a second summit in his/her expedition!

Depends on your imagination :slight_smile: Think of border summits with reference numbers in two associations, e.g. F/AM-512 and I/LG-309. I just picked these two as a quick search on border summits gave Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day
Probably I can do an activation on the French side of the border as F/DB7MM/p and cross the border within a few minutes (or even seconds) and do another activation on the Italian side as I/DB7MM/p. Interesting question: Is F/DB7MM/p the same station as I/DB7MM/p?

73 de Michael, DB7MM

No.

But that example would not cause the situation described anyway, because the database would see them as different stations also.

There is possibly a question about the spirit of the programme that the other activator would need to ask him/herself in such an instance though!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to DB7MM:

Interesting question: Is F/DB7MM/p the same station as I/DB7MM/p?

I think the database may think it is the same station for activation QSOs but not for S2S QSOs. Whether that is the correct interpretation is another question!

Andy
MM0FMF