Quick Report GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm

Unlike poor Walt G3NYY/P, who suffered the slings and arrows of the WX Gods, I arrived on GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm, in brilliant sunshine and never saw a hint of rain all day, despite a WX report to the contrary.

I actvated this summit a couple of weeks ago but was forced to leave early due to other commitments. As I was driving right past it on my return from visiting a customer in North Wales, I thought I’d give it another go.

The walk to the summit is a doddle, taking about 15 minutes with very little ascent.

Being surrounded by thousands of trees makes working this summit a bit of challenge on Vertical VHF, even for the white stick. The take-off to the North and West is OK, however, East is very difficult and South is utter garbage.

One of my first contacts was with Colin M0XSD in Frizington a nice contact from a summit of only 305m. I was kept busy for quite some time on 2m including a number of S2Ss.

Thought I’d give HF a try and found my self amongst a lot of chasers including half a dozen contacts Stateside and Canada also callsign that has me a bit baffled… PJ5AV.

This was a unique for quite a number of the HF chasers.

Anyhow, 129 contacts made including five S2S, which is a nice haul for this summit.

47 on HF, 78 on 2m and 4 on 70cm.

Thanks to all the chasers, for a very enjoyable days radio.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

You were a good strength from the top of Burbage Edge as I dropped into Buxton yesterday. Sadly 1.5W from the Baofeng was insufficient to make the trip back.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,

Once I realised you were out and about it was quite late in the day…not a good day for me yesterday.

Saw your spot on 17m but could hear nothing from you, so I guess I just managed to get on frequency just as you switched off the power to your set?

Shame. Could have done with a chat…

As for your elusive callsign - are you sure it was not Michael in Germany DJ5AV?

Just a thought…

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

I turned my 4 ele beam vertical and could just about hear you from both WB-19 and WB-21 but clearly my 5 watts were not sufficient enough!!

QSB was prevalent whilst I was on 2m SSB yesterday, however I did manage to work Colin G4XSD from most the hills as well as G4OBK in Pickering!

73 Mike, see you soon on FM or hopefully even SSB!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G1STQ:

As for your elusive callsign - are you sure it was not Michael in
Germany DJ5AV?

Give that man a coconut!

Checking Michaels SOTA log, it was indeed DJ5AV.

Now to ammend my log.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Mike

I turned my 4 ele beam vertical and could just about hear you from
both WB-19 and WB-21 but clearly my 5 watts were not sufficient
enough!!

Hi Matt,

This is a difficult summit for VHF. For some of the time, I was running 25 Watts and did go as high as 50 at times. Even with your beam I’m not surprised you didn’t make the trip from the Welsh Borders.

QSB was prevalent whilst I was on 2m SSB yesterday, however I did
manage to work Colin G4XSD from most the hills as well as G4OBK in
Pickering!

Always nice to work colin and Phil.

73 Mike, see you soon on FM or hopefully even SSB!

Look forward to that, Matt.

BTW, are you going to Blackpool?

73 Mike
2E0YYY