Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

QRV from EA8

Today I obtained a permit to ascend Mt Tindaya (EA8-FU-005) on Mar.8 at 1000 GMT.
I will be accompanied by a park ranger, so I am not sure whether I can really build up my rig. (but I will try to…)
It is about 1 hr to reach the summit, so expect activity not before 1100.
I expect the higher bands to be more useful. I will try 10.118, 14.058 or 18.086 - in CW as always. Perhaps I can send a more detailed alert later.
Hope to meet you tomorrow.
Martin df3mc

In reply to DF3MC

Martin - Is the permit necessary for Mt Tindaya only, or is a permit required for any of the EA8/FU summits? If it is needed for any of the FU summits, How do you get the permit.

Tks es 73 de Dave, G6DTN.

Activation failed on EA8/FU-005
We reached the summit today at abt 1100 GMT. There was a friendly park ranger with us and it was possible to build up the station. I called cq on 30m, 20m and 17m bands without any success - no QSO.
I do not yet know why that happened because I never had this situation before on short wave. I did hear some stations, but there was not enough time for “random” QSOs. Perhaps my power was just to low - we are some 3000 km from central europe.
I will check the rig again tonight, but I do not think that there is a fault there.
Perhaps we get another chance to activate one of the FU summits during the rest of the week.
73 from Fuerteventura
Martin df3mc

In reply to M0DFA:
The permit is necessary only for FU-005.
You can get it in the capital city for free. No problem…
73 Martin

HELLO MARTIN!
FROM “EA2” WE ARE WAITING FOR YOUR CALLS.
IF YOU CAN INDICATE APPROXIMATE TIME AND EXACT FREQUENCY, I’LL BE QRV.
ANYWAY, ALSO ALWAYS LOOKING TO “SOTAWATCH” HI, HI …
I HOPE YOU HAVE SUCCESS IN THE NEXT TIME.
BEST REGARDS AND 73.

David - EC2DM

In reply to DF3MC:

Martin if you have a chance, try 10m. I heard many EA8 stations on the band yesterday. They were loud in UK but all seemed to be working North & South America.

The SOTA activation of the 742m high EA8/FU-002 (Atalaya) was successful.
I reached the summit after a one hour ascent from the old capital city of Fuerteventura, Betancuria. After EC2DM spotted me, I could reach a couple of stations in 8 countries, on 30m, 20m and 10m band.
There was no big pile up and I did not make as many contacts as I had expected. Obviously my signal in central europe was weak and some did not hear anything of my signal from EA8.
Thanks a lot to all stations, especially to David, EC2DM!
Martin df3mc