POLL: What should the maximum number of posts in a thread be?

What is the plan for when two people do that at the same time and the thread forks?

Martyn

A manual recombination I suppose, unless the topics also fork. There was always the potential for this problem to occur but with a post limit of 500 it wouldnā€™t happen very often. Now it may happen 15 - 20 times a year which will keep me on my toes!:grinning:

ā€¦and can replies to a terminated thread be quoted in the new thread?

Yes, it seems so. The ā€œquoteā€ highlight automatically opens a new topic, you just have to give it a nameā€¦

It seems that you can still ā€œlikeā€ posts in a closed thread, too - I just did so in the Aussie reptiles threadā€¦

But what if the new topic already exists? Does that work too?

I would hope that cut and paste will work.

I canā€™t see how to do that neatly - might have to resort to highlight / copy / pasteā€¦

You can use the link option to link your current post to another topic.

Cut and paste does not link to the original text though. Still I see that Andy has stepped up to the plate to take on the new MT role of ā€œthread continuerā€ so I imagine that he will change cut and paste quotes to hyperlinks.

I just tried to quote from a closed thread, and in the box where it invites ā€œtype a name or linkā€ or some such, I pasted in a link to this thread - it didnā€™t do what I hoped, though, and now there is a messed up new topic under my name - could someone (maybe called Andy) delete it for me please?

(shuffles away to play with things I understand better :o)

1 Like

Thank you!

I used the ā€œmove postā€ feature butā€¦ you need to have the right privileges. These come with continued posting, liking, replying etc. If you donā€™t do enough your privileges drop down. The more active the more facilities. However, for the few times this will happen, itā€™s not a big job to move the last post that causes a closure to a new topic. I only did it to see if it worked which it did.

2 Likes

You guys are extending this conversation just to push it over 100 posts. I see your plan!

1 Like

Surely

Not!

The badge for reading every post in a thread with more than 100 posts will become a collectors item.

Specially since I will be deleting posts!

Even this one?

There should surely be a badge for The Last Post?

Thereā€™s a bugle for the Last Post.

1 Like