Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Pole guying

Fred, I know you’re really just envious of Andy’s Anvil …and would love lugging that 100-lb beast up a 14er just for the fun of it! :scream: :joy:

I have found this thread really interesting, but like Fred I find I do not need to guy my pole. Usually, I lash the base to a nearby object, usually a tree stump, larger rock, or the like. This works quite nicely for me. I do carry three aluminum tent stakes and paracord just in case. I have yet to have a nice barren summit to activate.

Come to Scotland then! We have plenty of summits like this:

But repurposing the cairn and those scrap fence strainers is bad form. Even here, 7.5km walk from the car, 21km down a dead-end glen, you still meet walkers and commandeering the cairn is not acceptable. You have to get a bit off the true summit to play with wires across the hill.

I’d guess 40% of summits look like this with nothing suitable to lash the pole against.

Sure there are plenty of fences and rocks on other summits. But I can guy with 3 tent pegs and 3 lanyards in less time than I can build a rock base for the pole.

What we need is one of these on every summit, just ideal to slip the pole into!

Sadly this is about 400m lower than the summit and it’s the only such thing I’ve seen in 11.5 years of SOTA! The dude who installed this did a good job. That’s been exposed to Scottish weather for 60+years and it was corroded on the surface.

It’s a fundamental mark for the damn construction… there should be another one on the other hill and all the sightings were done from here.

I will trade you “things to lash a pole to” for that view.

I offer you these… I could have built something but I wanted to enjoy the view too, so guying was the answer. Mid-November too!

That’s kind of what I did so far. Here are the reasons why I looked for an guying alternative:

1. No tree stumps on summits without vegetation
  2. I do not use Summit Crosses or Cairns
  3. I do want to choose the “right” place for the antenna … and not the tree stump :slight_smile:
  4. In summer I often had the problem, that at the shady places there were no suitable tree stumps

73 Martin, OE5REO

Has anyone any tips for winter mast guying, ie in ice/snow?

Adrian
MM0TAI

I find that my light 5m carbon pole can be simply pushed into consolidated snow and stays put. Sometimes I have to break through the hard Neve with an ice axe first, but then it goes in no probs. If you’re looking for a lightweight snow anchor then these may be of interest:

They would be easy to make at home.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

As most people have already said, my preferred option is bungee cords around a fence post (or similar sturdy object).

Failing that its a couple of lightweight tent pegs.

I have longer guy wires than I need so that I have enough length to tie around large objects (if the summit is rocky then you can use large rocks/boulders).

I prefer not to have guy wires if I can help it though due to the risk of other people tripping over them. Not really an issue on the quieter summits, but there are plenty of summits which do get busy.

Bungee cord and tent pegs are what go in my backpack!

A triangle of 9mm plywood with three corner holes and a big centre hole cut with a Forstner bit [from both sides down a common pilot hole] are how my guying rings are made. Polypropylene cord for guy lines and any old tent pegs. I did give Richard money for kite winders. It all lives in a beat up Jiffy bag envelope. :smiley:
I do like a screw-in tube thingy / ground spike for plain moorland summits where no fence posts or trig points are provided. I undo the end cap of the roach pole and slide it over. Sometimes there was no wind so no guying was needed.
David M0YDH