Plans for Snowdon

Hi All,

Hoping for a bit of feedback relating to my planned activation of Snowdon sometime in April.

I was planning to go up on the railway to summit from Llanberis and walk back down,which gives me more time on the summit.

Would it be better to leave car @ Pen-y-Pass,with a short walk into Llanberis and then come down from summit via the path to Pen-y-Pass?

Or would it be better to park in Llanberis and come back down via railway path?

Tony

In reply to M6ADL:

I’ve no idea about timetables but there is a bus service on the pass so you could leave your car at the top and bus down to save time, however the car park is often full so you might be forced into your second option: the path is long but fairly easy.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I’d suggest parking in Llanberis, bus to Pen-y-pass, and then walking back down the railway line to Llanberis. Probably easier on the legs.

Alternatively continue on the bus round to Rhyd Ddu and then walk back over the top.

Rick

My choice would be:

Leave car in Llanberis. Bus up to Pen-y-Pass. PYG Track to summit - a rather nice and not-too-difficult walk.

Descent: Take your pick from:

Miners’ Track back to Pen-y-Pass and bus to Llanberis;
Llanberis Path straight down to Llanberis (boring)
Train down to Llanberis (standby ticket).

TBH, the Snowdon Mountain Railway is not very useful for a SOTA activator. A one-way ride, up or down, costs nearly as much as a return, which itself is expensive, so not exactly cost-effective. On a return ticket, you must descend on the train that leaves 30 minutes after you got dropped off, so only time for a 4 x 2m FM RD HH smash-and-grab, especially if you want to visit the new summit building as well.

There is no guarantee of getting a standby descent ride; you have to ask and wait, and wait, and wait and see.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi all,

thanks for the Great info,

the initial idea was for us to go up the summit on the train as my Mrs wants to ride the train up.

Then stay longer than the halfhour to activate the summit from the Trig,

Then descend via Shankys Pony(Feet)

So I think we will go with:

Car left at Pen-y-Pass, walk to Train Station, go up on train,activate summit, visit the cafe and then head down via path to Pen-y-Pass.

Sounds good to the Mrs so OK for me, as it kills a number of birds in one visit.

1)My Mrs gets to ride a train up Snowdon. 2) I can activate a 10 pointer and 3) we get a good hill walk in, albeit downhill. Everyones happy!! Hi Hi ??

Tony

In reply to M1EYP:

TBH, the Snowdon Mountain Railway is not very useful for a SOTA activator.
A one-way ride, up or down, costs nearly as much as a return, which itself
is expensive, so not exactly cost-effective.

Quite agree.

The Welsh Highland railway from Caernarfon to Rhyd Ddu is in my view far
superior.

Rick.

In reply to M6ADL: My preference would be to use the car park just across the road from Snowdon Ranger YH (Free last year) and use the Snowdon Ranger path. Alternatively hoof it up the road to Rhyd Ddu (?) and return via the Snowdon Ranger path. From Snowdon Ranger, there is always the option to detour to NW-030 (Moel Cynghorion) as an extra, or alternative, if the weather is poor or (unlikely) too good for a long walk. IMHO, the Rhyd Ddu path can be a little exposed for some.

Which ever way you go, take care and enjoy!