Novice licence

I note with interest the spot of DO/PD2PC this morning. That is a novice licensee from the Netherlands operating as a novice in Germany. This got me thinking about UK intermediate (formerly ‘novice’) stations.

As it stands, and as far as I can tell, UK has not yet adopted ECC-Rec.(05)06 and is therefore not in the list of countries from which and in which novice licences can operate under CEPT. It is confirmed on the Ofcom site that only UK full licensees may operate abroad under CEPT, and that intermediates (and foundations) may not, but it doesn’t mention ECC-Rec.(05)06.

I wonder if there are any plans to adopt ECC-Rec.(05)06 here in the UK, or whether our intermediate licence is too far apart from the Novice licence in countries like Germany, Netherlands, Liechtenstein etc for it to be viable?

I can think of many current and prospective 2E0’s that would be SOTAing on the continent should the opportunity arise!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I can think of many current and prospective 2E0’s that would be
SOTAing on the continent should the opportunity arise!

Some might argue that their time would be better spent in studying for a Full Licence … then all their problems would be solved!

73 de G3NYY

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to M1EYP:

I can think of many current and prospective 2E0’s that would be
SOTAing on the continent should the opportunity arise!

I can only speak for myself on this and as a Intermediate Callsign who at this moment in time feels he has reached his limit of studying skills and understanding of the hobby. I am happy with my level of license and its restrictions/allowances. I will admit I struggled in places when studying for the Intermediate exam,but pass I did and quite proud to do so at what I consider to be my level.

I would dearly love to play Radio abroad especially in Greece(where I believe they also require full licensees to have passed a Morse test??).

But I am in total agreement that you should have a full call to operate abroad, as laid down in CEPT and OFCOM/RSGB Regs. But if things did alter I would certainly welcome it,but would never protest for it.

Best 73

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Now heres a question, are novices from other countries able to operate in UK?

The jump from intermediate to advanced is a big step, it would be nice if it was a more gradual progression. I know not all amateurs need the extra privellages, but im looking forward to playing radio abroad when/if i pass the advance exam in a few months time.

Adrian

In reply to MM6ADR:

Now heres a question, are novices from other countries able to operate in UK?

No.

when/if i pass the advance exam in a few months time

Good man for continuing with the training. Simply get yourself into the mindset that you will not fail then it will be ‘if’ and ‘not’ when. And if you do fail, then resit the exam again until you pass.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM6ADR:

Edit: I’m not going daft, I posted this before Andy’s above post had appeared :wink:

Hi adrian,

From my understanding, as the UK has not implemented the relevant CEPT regulation the answer would be no, they would not.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to MM6ADR:

The jump from intermediate to advanced is a big step, it would be nice
if it was a more gradual progression. I know not all amateurs need the
extra privellages, but im looking forward to playing radio abroad
when/if i pass the advance exam in a few months time.

Adrian

It was a really big step when there was only one grade of license, I enrolled on a night school course in September and took the (written) exam the following May: there was about thirty of us on the course, one failed and only a couple got distinctions. I would have given my right arm for an M3 ticket!

In practical terms, that is the difference in dB between the classes of license, there isn’t that much between them. I suppose the ability to operate abroad (and the possibility of an NoV for 5 megs) are useful additional carrots!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

have to agree with you these 3 steps to full have been a godsend to me.

Back in the early eighties when I failed the RAE and could not grasp Morse,it put me off trying again,especially with family commitments soon after.

If in those days I could have progressed the way I did these last 18 months, I would certainly have been more motivated back then.

The RSGB in my mind made the right decision in setting up the new access into the hobby,although in my opinion Foundation level could have had more technical and slightly more testing than I found it.

Just my opinion though

Tony