North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

i’m in … had a lot of fun during the VK ↔ EU event, so this will be fun too! never had a NA S2S QSO so far.

73 martin, oe5reo

EDIT @ 27/10/2016 → sorry, but I will not be able to activate on 19/11! maybe next time

Many thanks for the further input which is much appreciated. To focus minds, could I propose -

Saturday 19th November 2016 between 1400 and 1700UTC?

I appreciate that we are not going to suit everyone and time is short to get this off the ground. Like the VK/ZL - EU event, hopefully there will be sufficient interest for this to be repeated and the QRPTTF event in March 2017 seems to be a realistic date for that. A further summer event could be a possibility, but conditions might not be so suitable.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hey how about that? I do have a gig booked in that day. But it’s a local gig in Macclesfield! So count me in (excuse the pun)!

I agree that something has to be sufficiently different to get the “fix” from each and every activation. Thank goodness for several ascent routes, lots of bands, lots of modes, different propagation, different parts of the solar cycle, different times of the day, different days of the week, various weathers and different people you meet. 832 activations of G/SP-015 and still to duplicate any single experience :wink:

1 Like

Fortuitous choice Gerald as I’ll be out activating anyway that day from EA8/FU. I think I’ll smuggle a small PA into the luggage when nobody is looking.

As I expect to be in the Forest of Dean then I have put up an alert for WB-021, Ruardean Hill.
Just hope it all works out well.
Rod

For the record, the QRPTTF 2017 event is APRIL 22.

73, Barry N1EU

Many thanks Barry. Will attempt to make a note somehow somewhere. As you have been the one to try to organise this before, maybe it is appropriate for you to be the NA “contact” if you are happy with that. With two minds on the case, perhaps this event won’t fall through the cracks. :slight_smile:

Right, I’m off to put on an alert and we’ll see how it goes.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I’m not very active these days and wouldn’t be the best NA contact I’m afraid.

Hi Gerald

Unfortunately, after looking at the diary I’m unavailable for that date. Good luck anyway and thanks for pulling the event together, hopefully, next time I’ll be there.

73 Allan GW4VPX

That date doesn’t look too bad contest wise the only one on appears to be the Bulgarian DX contest:

Okay Barry. Maybe Pete will take up the reins on your side. I have posted the event on the NASOTA group, so it should reach a fairly wide audience. It just needs disseminating by whoever, however. I am a keen exponent of KISS, so no need to overcomplicate matters. Let’s just do it!

73, Gerald G4OIG

Sorry to hear you won’t be able to be out on 19th Allan. Hopefully future dates will suit.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Darn… :frowning: I’m in a half yearly Mountain Rescue meeting that day. I’d be free after about 1600UTC, but by the time I get up a summit it will be after 1700. If there are any stragglers I might try and catch them.

Oh dear, sorry about that. Hopefully there won’t be a second meeting on 22nd April.

Apparently that is also Earth Day.
I have no idea what “Earth Day” is (but then I don’t know what “TTF” stands for either).
I do know that I am taking my wife to London to participate in the marathon, so not sure what opportunity I’ll get to play SOTA :confused: Good luck to the rest of you

I’ll try and get out on the 19th - was thinking of G/LD-035 or G/LD-037 ( Easy to walk down in the dark ) - any one have better suggestions for nearish Penrith?

To The Field. So QRPTTF is an event where you take QRP radios into the field from the shack. For the last few years there have been sections for stations just operating outdoors and SOTA stations.

1 Like

I should be available for this happy to go on use the 17m band.

Dufton Pike G/Np-027 is close to Penrith and a fairly safe summit.

Graeme

Perhaps this will help with “QRPTTF”: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=QRPTTF

1 Like

Has it been decided which band(s) will be used for this event please (propagation playing fair assumed of course).

Ed.