North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

I would think that 20m and 17m would be the most likely bands for contacts Ed. That is not to say that 15m and 30m would not be capable of producing results. I have alerted for 20m, but may take a second antenna for 17m.

I am hoping to be able to check SOTAwatch to keep track of the action, subject to operating of course.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I may plan on 15 metres, given that, thatā€™s where I have had success once before.

Perhaps Iā€™ll try an outing beforehand and see which band appears to be the best. Not until this K Index drops though! - Itā€™s still at 5!

Ed.

Count on me :slight_smile:
Jaka, S55X

Iā€™ll activate G/SC-008 - easy access in bad WX and good NA take off!
Looking forward to it.
73 Gareth, G0MFR

1 Like

Count me in.

W3CDW
Chris

How much power and which mode will you European activators be using?

Barry N1EU

Weā€™ll give it a try. Using 40 - 50 W, mainly on 20 m in SSB.

73, Sylvia OE5YYN & Peter OE5AUL

I will be running my FT-857D at 50 watts out to my 20m 1/4 wave vertical. I am considering putting links in for 17m and 15m to give some flexibility.

It is great to see increasing interest from both sides of the pond. :grinning:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Iā€™ll be using 25w RF-clipped SSB - and what power and mode will the North American Activators be using?

It doesnā€™t matter - there will no doubt be SSB and CW at different power levels.

If the conditions are good, even 5w can get through. If the conditions are bad, nothing will get through. I suspect weā€™ll be somewhere in between.

Ed.

I expect to Tx 80w SSB into a EFHW vertical. Iā€™m thinking about adding a second mast for a parasitic array pointed at Europe.

Kevin

A point picked up on the NASOTA forum is that propagation is likely to move from the eastern states to the west, so the hope is that EU stations will have enough stamina (and resources) to keep on to work those in the west.

Hopefully the current difficult conditions will improve significantly over the next three weeks.

73, Gerald G4OIG

P.S. I have updated the title of this thread from ā€œexpressions of interestā€ to give the date and time of the event. I am hoping interest will build as we approach the 19th November.

SSB only, FT857d, about 50W, and two 5000mah LiPo battery

Ed, I was pleasantly surprised that 5w was enough for the VK-EU S2S Party. I feared it may not be at the present stage of the solar cycle, but 99 QSOs including 18 S2S including 2 VK S2S wasnā€™t too shabby from the FT-817.

Anyway, Iā€™m thinking of nipping out for a practice run for the forthcoming NA-EU event. Anyone else fancy trying for some S2S 1400-1700 TODAY?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Running a bit late here. I have put the alert 1 hour back to 1500z / 4pm BST. Will try to do some running on CW (if my paddle / 817 works - had trouble with the left-dot paddle last time out), plus will look for anything interesting on SSB in the CQWW.

I put an announcement up on the W6 SOTA site to see if we can drum up participants from California.

https://w6-sota.org/north-america-europe-s2s-party-nov-19/

Paul W6 AM

On that map is not marked Slovenia ā€¦
We will be active from the S5 and in this way contribute to the knowledge of geography ā€¦ hi.

73 de S58R - Rado

1 Like

Pleasant little outing on The Cloud G/SP-015, Saturday 29th October 2016.

1535 to 1700z, 54 QSOs:

21 on 20m CW, 33 on 20m SSB.

1 S2S - EA5FV/P on EA5/MU-033

DXCCs worked: 5B4, 9K, CT, DL, E7, EA, EA8, HA, HB, HB0, I, LY, OH, OK, OM, RA, S5, SM, SP, UR, VE, W, YO, YU.

DX: 1 Africa, 2 Asia, 7 North America

Presumably 817 and vertical. Maybe some help from the contest, but an excellent log considering all reports are that conditions are currently poor. Bodes well for a reasonable event. :relaxed:

Yes, 817 (5w) & GP antenna.

Certainly the 33 SSB QSOs were all contest stations. None of the 21 CW QSOs were :wink: