North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

FWIW, I plan on using a 44ft (NorCal) doublet hung inv V style from a 33ft pole, fed with balanced (window) line thru a 4:1 balun into the ATU of my KX3 which will put out 12-15W. The summit has a good downslope toward EU.

73, Barry N1EU

Does it have to be two poles? Twin wire for vertical and radial(s), tune the shorter one first then trimming a bit off the longer one to bring it to resonance should have little effect on the shorter one.

Brian

The jury is still out on what I will eventually take Brian. Having it all on one pole does have the advantage that there is less to take down in the dark. Like Tom, I expect to be hanging on for the guys out west.

I am considering taking my LDG auto-ATU which is rated at 30W so the antenna system is a guaranteed match. Running the 857D at 30W out would extend the battery life - worthwhile as this would be against a loss of less than half an S point relative to my original proposal for 50W. Things will no doubt firm up during the week running up to the event.

Gerald G4OIG

Yeah, I didnā€™t see that. Although a 17m vertical moxon would fit onto a 10m pole.

How about DM/BM-356 Hainsberg? Itā€™s about 1.5hrs for you and looks easy access to the summit. The aerial pictures show some reasonably clear areas in the trees as well. You could do me a favour whilst there and pop over to Ingolstadt and ask Audi to explain why they fitted a stainless steel exhaust to my car (which is immaculate after 50k miles) and used mild steel clamps and fittings (which rusted through after 50k miles) leaving me to get new clamps fitted. Grrr!

ā€¦ should have bought a X-driveā€¦ BMW!! HaHa :wink:

I like being able to pull out of junctions or turn right (left in the case of LHD cars) across oncoming traffic which is why I donā€™t have a BMW.

A good suggestion Andy, and on a good day, itā€™d be about 1.5 Hrs from where I live, but the roads the route uses are prone to traffic jams, so Iā€™d probably plan 2 Hrs for that route (still reasonable). The advantage of say DM/BW-064 Heersberg is that itā€™s a ten pointer, rather than ā€œjustā€ a 4 pointer.

If I was heading in the direction of Ingolstadt, I could also arrange to go and visit Channel 292 - the Amateur Radio operator owned and run 10 KW shortwave AM broadcast station on 6070KHz that I used to have a program on!

I think weather will be a contributing factor to my decision. With snow forecast here at the weekend, if that stays and gets worse, the roads to the DM/BW summit will most likely be better than those to the DM/BM one, Iā€™ll still have to allow more time for either however or I may end up with a much more local one that I know I can get to if road conditions are really bad.

Iā€™d really like to get the (new for me) 10 pointer in the bag though if I can.

Ed.

Hmmmmmm, seems to be!!!

LOL. Spot on Andy. Even old ones like mine get ushered into the traffic flow. Mind you, thatā€™s not a problem up in GM where the traffic is usually so much less and the locals are so much more laid back and friendly. Of course I have my Quattro so I can park it in those less than optimal parking spots, a wee bit closer to the summits. :wink:
BTW - mine is still on its original exhaust mounts - 200k on the clock (320km that is).

Well the question had to be asked Ken. Hopefully a good number will be able to get out on the day.

Tom,
Reference: the vk/eu event where I found it impossible to get an s2s contact on ssb due to the activator not giving selective calls or requesting the loud locals to give the dx a chance.

I think that while the ideal situation is for everyone to just work everyone, that does mean the stronger (local/chaser) stations will make all the contacts first, then the medium strength locals, then the stronger dx chasers, then finally the weaker dx activators. Unless the activators make selective calls, such as ā€œQRZ any S2S contacts?ā€ to give them a chance (after all, both ends want that contact) - and that selective call does not exclude the zillions of local chasers, it just asks them to wait their turnā€¦ or is that the problem? People canā€™t wait?

Another issue is Cw speed. Many newcomers to dx CW operation are ok up to 15 wpm but simply blanch when they hear a cq thatā€™s coming at machine speeds (over 20 in particular, but even over 15 can simply make them keep tuning).
So to optimise the number of s2s contacts in the event of dismal conditions (not unheard of all this year) I suggest an occasional cq at lower speeds. AND matching the callerā€™s speed.

Intelligent operating will optimise the event. First in, loudest signal gets the contact may result in many disappointments.

Some (not all) vk activators make a practice of calling for S2s, portables, qrp, then sometimes even by vk call area, to make sure the weaker signals get their chance and that new joiners to the pileup know they have to wait for their turn. It usually works out very well.

I hope the event goes well and everyone works all stations they hear.

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

Agree with Andrew that activators should OFTEN ask for S2S only and for all chasers to standby.

As far as cw speed, I think all good cw activators will slow way down if a caller is sending at slow speed. CW chasers should not be intimidated by a high speed SOTA CQ - just call in at whatever speed your comfortable with and the vast majority of times the activator will slow right down.

73, Barry N1EU

Current alerted summits for this event are a total of 21 - Europe 12, North America 8 and Africa 1.
Of course this is stil 2 weeks before the event, so I would exect this to increase closer to the time and some activators donā€™t post alerts at all. In any case, a very good effort for two weeks out.

Of those 21 summits,
There are
1 PSK only,
7 SSB only,
5 CW only,
2 PSK + CW,
6 CW + SSB

A very nice mix of modes.

Ed.

And 1 in Africa.

Thanks Andy - updated.

Thatā€™s why god inventedā€¦ x-Driveā€¦ :wink:

Years after having Torsen diffs in the Audiā€™s with correctly oriented engine layouts BMW plays catch up having cottoned on to the fact people buy performance oriented cars to make use of the performance and not to smoke the back wheels. If you want to smoke the back wheels, god gave us the 426 Hemi or a 440 6-pack.

But itā€™s not the inferior x-drive system thatā€™s at stake, itā€™s the simple fact that years of aggressive tail-gating, failure to use the turn indicators and general hoodlum-like driving by a vast number of BMW drivers has rendered them ā€œpersona-non-grataā€ on European roads. The result is nobody ever lets a BMW enter the traffic flow. Never, ever. In fact ensuring any BMWā€™s progress is restricted at all times is one lifeā€™s rewards for driving on the UKā€™s ever more congested roads.

Sadly many BMW drivers have realised this fact and their error in choosing a 3 series (less exclusive than you think) and have chosen A4ā€™s instead and drive them with their typical 3 series driver arrogance devaluing the A4 brand considerably.

:grin: But sadly OT though.

Back to the subject, Iā€™ve checked the sunset times for EA8 and compared to here (Edinburgh) I get 2 hours more daylight with sunset at 1800Z not 1600Z. That should give me the chance to stay to 1700Z and maybe longer. All depends on the summit and whether there is a real path/track or not.

Have you been moonlighting writing the scripts for Jeremy Clarkson, Andy?:wink:

Brian

1 Like

Weā€™re all Special in our own wayā€¦ :slight_smile:

It seems like on the east coast US we need to be operational from around 9am through at least 1pm (local) to catch the majority of Euro operatorsā€¦

Looks like Chris has talked me into taking the Spiderbeam on the hillā€¦ it will take a few trips from the x-drive BMW (ha ha)ā€¦ to bring all he gear up the hillā€¦

Richardā€¦

Somewhat off topic Andy, but having owned both Audi and BMW cars (albeit older models), I am now driving a Holden (sorry Opel). Actually the E30 BMW 320i was a good car for me - I had it 13 years with no major problems and lots of fun.

Good luck with the activation from Africa on the 19th. !!

73 Ed.