KX3..new portable rig from Elecraft

In reply to G4OIG:
I agree that elecraft is expensive, but that premium IMHO is justified forthe quality products that elecraft is developing. Someone else said recently, how many other electronic hardware company ceo’s can you contact directly and ask advice etc. Not too many! I agree also that the kx3 will most likely be unsuitable for SOTA unless people are willing to risk there small investment, but in other circles I think it will sell very well, and maybe as the bugs are ironed out by the bleeding egde testers I will get one myself. The ft817, 857, have been on the go for over a decade now but when will yaesu bring out their next ‘trail friendly radio’? Does anyone carry an 897 for sota by the way?

Adrian

In reply to MM0TAI:

are willing to risk there small investment

The price quote is not that much! Add up what the gear you wear costs.

Goretex jacket + waterproof trousers £320
Boots £140
Rucksack £80
Walking poles £50
Gloves £30
hiwicking t-shirt + trousers £50
socks £30
GPS £200
Camera £120

That’s just shy of a grand before we add on any radio gear such as an 817 + handy in my case.

Suddenly $899 + options isn’t so expensive.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to MM0TAI:

are willing to risk there small investment

Goretex jacket + waterproof trousers £320
Boots £140
Rucksack £80
Walking poles £50
Gloves £30
hiwicking t-shirt + trousers £50
socks £30
GPS £200
Camera £120

That’s just shy of a grand before we add on any radio gear such as an
817 + handy in my case.

Suddenly $899 + options isn’t so expensive.

As long as you are prepared to activate naked and barefoot?

Brian G8ADD

This rig has certainly more bells and whistles than my ATB3B (35 mA RX and about 90 g with filters). I have been wondering the RX performance, since the pile-ups are not so easy to copy. Is there any site for the receiver tests on the web?

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to MM0TAI, MM0FMF and G8ADD:

I agree also that the kx3 will most likely be unsuitable for SOTA unless people are willing to risk there small investment………

Adrian,

For me the question is whether I really need a “hot” rig on a summit. I know I mainly use 2m SSB, but when activating say 40m CW I can generally hear everyone that calls and actually work them using the 817 and 857. Would a KX3 enhance my experience or increase the number of contacts? I doubt it, but if I am in my shack at home with QRM from the local industry and other sources, then the extra bells and whistles would come into their own. I would say that a CW filter is a must on the 857 and 817 to cope with 40m CW… and that is coming from someone who operated the mode for over 20 years using just an SSB filter.

I am a firm believe of the KISS principle. In some ways an 817 is overkill for me, but I’ll put up with that for the sake of convenience. :slight_smile: As for the 857, I think anyone that uses one for SOTA has already accepted its shortcomings, particularly the high current drain on receive, though it is a much easier rig to operate with frozen fingers! I certainly wouldn’t call it trail-friendly, but it is a superb mobile.

Andy,

I have done that and I agree entirely. It’s all costly, but it comes down to priorities and balance. I would prefer to stay dry with my Paramo waterproofs rather than suffer the elements sitting in front of expensive technology.

even the 857 is only allowed to poke just its face out into the outside world…
isn’t that where all the holes are? :slight_smile:

Yes it is Brian, but it is only allowed to peek out occasionally when changing bands or mode. Experience with my 817 has made me very cautious!

73, Gerald G4OIG

The KX3 represents real innovation. It also brings the TFR format into the mainstream for the first time. That’s a big step forward for encouraging more portable operating. It has more bells and whistles than my simple style of operating demands but I am sure it will meet the needs of a lot of people. I certainly hope that it is a successful product for Elecraft.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Yes, agreed. Elecraft fans are really pumped up about this one. TFR format has been a little limited to CW until now and Elecraft have beaten the big names with this rig. Also,the brilliant customer service reputation will help. This thing will sell like hot cakes and I’m sure will encourage amateurs to get ‘out there’!

I for one need to shed a few kilos first though.

cheers

Keith
GW4OKT

In reply to G4OIG:
As for the 857, I think anyone that uses one for SOTA

has already accepted its shortcomings, particularly the high current
drain on receive, though it is a much easier rig to operate with
frozen fingers! I certainly wouldn’t call it trail-friendly, but it is
a superb mobile.

I know the handbook says the 857 takes an amp on receive (550 mA squelched) but mine with the audio high and lit up like a Xmas tree takes a measured 600 mA. An odd discrepancy!

As for mountain gear, I use the same sort of thing as I wore 30 years ago, much cheaper but I’m happy in it!

Brian G8ADD

Yes, indeed, KX3 has very nice specifications. I saw it, touched it and play with it at Friedrichshafen this year.
It is solid made, has the battery and the antenna tuner included in that enclosure which you can see in the photos. So, you don’t need extra wires and cables. I think for SOTA operations will easy become the favourite rig.
The keyer (solid and good one, but sold as optional) can be attached to the rig by two screws with large heads (for screw-unscrew by hand). CW operation is a pleasure. If you want to operate SSB, you have just to plugin the microphone. If you prefer PSK31, than everything is included and you will get the decoded transmission on the big LCD. It is all mode rig, but has not all the bands (e.g. 2m, 70cm not available). It has a good DSP and 1Hz DDS resolution (WSPR might be a good application). The firmware is upgradable by connecting a cable to computer. The price seems to be a bit higher. But, let’s remember how was the price some years ago for an FT-817 (one of the best QRP rig and the single all-bands, all-modes QRP rig).
Personally, I’m preparing to sell my IC-7000 and to try to get an KX3.
BTW, I’m not associated in anyway with Elecraft. I wanted just to share my impressions.
73 de Dan

First KX3 use for SOTA:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to PA2LA:

Yes, Dan, was about to post the fact that my ‘first edition’ FT817 cost me £818.99 with the soft case when I bought it 10 years ago.

I doubt I will ever own a KX3, but I can always dream! When you look at the cost of other radios, I don’t think that that projected price of the KX3 seems that out of the ordinary.

I’m trying hard to persuade my XYL to let me buy an MKARS-80, which will cost £60!

Colin
M0CGH

KX3 on action: Team K7S activates Mt Little SI for Summits on the Air with Elecraft KX3

In reply to PA2LA:
For those that don’t watch ‘ham nation’ podcast by bob heil and Gordon west, they had Wayne from elecraft on and he confirmed there will be a 2m ‘option’ available

Adrian

In reply to MM0TAI:

I seem to recall it was Eric Swartz, WA6HHQ, on Ham Nation :wink:

Yes, it was stated that 2m would be an option.

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to M0CGH:
Ooooops my mistake, well spotted :slight_smile:

…has just hit the store (or at least been emailed those interested) and is $900 for the basic kit, $1000 for an assembled rig, $60 for the hand mic., $130 for the paddle, $130 for a precision roofing filter, $150 for an internal AMU, and $60 for an internal NiMH charger.
(Knock 5 cents off each price according to standard marketing procedure. ;))

73, Rick (5Z4/)M0LEP