KX3..new portable rig from Elecraft

New portable rig announced from Elecraft.

http://twitpic.com/photos/ke9v

Nice specs.
Taken from Elecraft reflector;
KX3: Ultra-compact K3/KX1 hybrid, 160-6 m, 10/100 W, all-mode, 32-bit
DSP/SDR, 1.5 lbs, 1.7x3.5x7.4" ,KX1 form-factor, internal battery pack & charger
internal wide-range ATU, new adjustable, attached keyer paddle, RX-mode current drain ~150 mA. Very efficient on TX, with dual-output-
impedance 5W/10W PA,

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:
Nice catch Roger. That looks really nice. Where do I sign…?

It looks so good I would be frightened to take it out portable! :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:
Yes indeed, perhaps more fitting on a car dash board.
Modes I believe include TX PSK31 and RTTY, decode on screen, no computer needed.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

There is a video here:

It’s a seriously impressive radio.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
After seeing the pictures and the video, I’m looking around the shack to see what I can sell, so I can buy this…lol.
What a fantastic radio !
Rumours are that it will be more than $300 (£184) and much less than $1500 (£924). It’s competition (FT817, FT857 & Elecraft K2 & K1) are all between $300(for a basic KX1) and $900 for the FT857. So you have to think they have to hit the higher end of that price range.
Such a lot of features crammed into one small box. Is this the ultimate SOTA radio ??

Andrew
K1YMI

In reply to K1YMI:

It is very droolworthy. You can guestimate the pricing based on how they wish to canabilise their existing sales! Assuming it’s a repackaged K3 with similar performance then I’d expect a KX3 and its PA to come to about the same as a K3. Otherwise you can kiss sales of K3’s goodbye.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Who needs 100W :wink: I do just fine with5W…

The nice thing about the PA being separate is that you can buy the radio then later if you want add the amp to your kit.

Andrew
K1YMI

In reply to K1YMI:
I agree. 5W (or 10W) of CW will do me fine.

I am guessing that the basic model will be $999 (plus a long list of options) although it’s no surprise the price isn’t available as I reckon that interest generated at FDIM and viral activity such as this could push it up to $1199. But I still want one!

Let’s see…

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to K1YMI:

Rumours are that it will be more than $300 (£184) and much less than
$1500 (£924). It’s competition (FT817, FT857 & Elecraft K2 &
K1) are all between $300(for a basic KX1) and $900 for the FT857. So
you have to think they have to hit the higher end of that price range.

IMHO the question is, whether from which direction :wink: the KX+ price will hit the higher end of that price range?!

Elecraft are not famous from their competitive pricing but their nearly unacceptably high lead times and prices. Remember that in case of K2 each and every feature providing ease of use (e.g. SSB, noise blanker, DSP, audio filter, separate receiving antenna input, etc.) are separately priced supplementary options.

Thus, I think, the $300 rumour is nothing but a kind of dreaming about Santa’s surprise, we could imagine to find below the Christmast tree on boxing day…

However it looks fine and I could also do with it. (Santa, do you read this mailing list? :wink: )

73: Jóska, HA5CW / M0HAA

Apparently Wayne Burdick (Elecraft founder) told a blogger it would sell for “under $800”. So make that base price $799 plus options. I’m still interested…

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:
It may start at 800 but how much when you add all the essentials missed off to hit that price point?

Andy, MM0FMF

Sent whilst being deafened by Larry Miller!

In reply to MM0FMF:
Exactly… who needs SSB anyway? :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

Options are the money makers …
Don’t spend too much at the puggy machines out there !

Andrew
K1YMI

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G0AZS:
It may start at 800 but how much when you add all the essentials
missed off to hit that price point?

Andy, MM0FMF

Sent whilst being deafened by Larry Miller!

In reply to G0AZS:

Indeed. The best bit though is that there will be many people plotting how to raise the necessary moulah for a KX3 so they can be first on the block with the new shiny shiny. This means there should be a large number of K1’s, KX1’s and K2’s hitting the market. Those of us who want a K2 but really find the price causes the wallet to weld shut can hopefully bag one at a good price.

Hint to self: talk up KX3 at every opportunity, rubbish K2 in comparison, keep eye pinned to eBay and the like!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Maybe a glut of Ft-817s going cheap too?

In reply to GW7AAV:

Maybe a glut of Ft-817s going cheap…

I thought they went “pop” from time to time…

I’ll get my coat…

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to MM0FMF:

The only worry I would have about a secondhand K2 is the quality of the workmanship of the original builder.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to MM0FMF:

ePay will most likely be the platform for rubbish K2’s to end in… “well sort after”, ha! I wouldn’t buy any of these without having tested them previously.

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to DL4CW:
Count me in for a KX3. I like the idea that you can use it in the shack with the 100w amp then “untether” it for /p work. I cant find much reference so far as to how much of a kit it will be. For pricing,the kx3 and amp surely will be roughly the same as the k3 if not a few hundred $'s more. I also like elecrafts approach of being able to buy a “basic” rig and upgrade it as your pocket(or station manager) allows.
If anyone wants to buy my ft817(with cw filter) and elecraft T1 let me know before the market get flooded with them :slight_smile:

Adrian
MM0TAI

Finally I could watch the videos and all I can say is…
“Gimme Gimme!” and “Can someone pass a tissue I am drooling.”

Steve GW7AAV