Well, finally I managed to get my first activation done. I was late, but I under-estimated Dublin traffic - I left one hour before, and it still took another 40ish minutes. Never underestimate Dublin traffic.
The weather went from bad, at the carpark (some 3Km from the summit), to worse at the top. Viz. reduced from 5Km to about 20m at the Kippure antenna mast.
I set up my FT-817, Elecraft T1, multi-band dipole (ala John Clifford GW4BVE) and 7Ah SLAB battery on the side of the road.
As I was going to connect the antenna, I saw the PL259 had broken off. So I had to stick the core into the BNC connector of the T1. and screw the braid onto the earth tap.
It seemed to tune up ok, and I started off.
I was calling to myself for about 30 mins until Pete, EI7CC responded, giving me 5/3 with QSB.
At least then I knew everything was working (ish).
I went on to work:
After that, some nice gent (G8CBU) continued to call on my frequency, 3.770, for about 20 minutes, despite my calls of frequency in use. Anyway, I won’t let that bother me.
I had intended on activating Djouce, IE-007, but I was cold, the weather was gettng worse, so I called it off. Apologies to G3RMD and the rest.
All-in-all a good day, and it earned me my first 10 points.
I thought I had prepared for everything (as much as I could), but there were some small “failures” in my system. These will be rectified, until the next lot of failures happen
Thanks again to all who helped me out on my first activation. As the Gubernator says - I’ll be back.