Unfortunately I will be deleting my activation log for last weeks activation of I/TO-314 Le Cornate.
I did visit the lat-long as quoted in the SOTA Italy TO Manual where I found a farm below the 700m contour line. I continued to the highest point, some 500m away on a direct line at a height of 755m ASL - best endeavours. A few days later when I downloaded my GPS track into Garmin Base Camp and compared the data to the summits page I noticed from a Google search that La Cornate should be 1060m ASL and is miles away from the SOTA Summits page quoted coordinates!
The planning for this trip was only done the day before and was not as thorough as it usually is, However, I would warn any potential activator coming to Italy to carefully check the details from the summits pages and not rely on a download of summit locations as a GPX file from the SOTA Mapping Project. (It’s not your fault Rob!).
The reference for I/TO-315 Poggio Cassacia is also tens of miles away from where it should be. So that is two major positional two errors out of the three summits I checked.
I will be claiming the supposed S2S QSOs I made with OK1MCS/P and DL/G1INK/P as Chaser contacts only, sorry guys but your S2S QSOs are null and void. My conscience will not allow me to cheat!
I’ll leave my log in the database for a few days and then delete it.
I’m pleased to report my activation today of TO-304 was very successful. 70 QSOs and with VK2IO worked on 20m CW & SSB. I hit a purple patch of Es on 10m with 27 QSOs and on 6m with 7 QSOs including EA8EY. My 7 AH LiFePo battery ran at 50 watts RF out for 2.25 hours before it was expired. I won’t be returning to LiPOs again! Fuller report to follow after the holiday is finished.
Pic of what I thought was Le Cornate but which later proved to be IL Monte 755m.