Hand Warmers

Has anyone seen the hand warmers at Aldi.They work by some chemical reaction with a saline solution by bending a metal plate.They warm up very quickly and are supposed to work for 1000 times at £1.45p they must be worth a go All the best Geoff.G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:
I use hand warmers to keep my NiMH batteries warm when activating in cold weather.

Mads

In reply to G6MZX:
They work very well i have a pair, for the price you wont get anything better. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

I bought some up recently. Slightly more expensive than that Aldi price but not much. Mine are Gelert brand. They work but these don’t get that hot nor do they stay hot for long. I had one of these sometime back that was significantly better both in temperature and time though it could be my memory that’s playing tricks.

I’ll set one off tonight and see how hot it gets and how long it stays hot. It’ll be interesting to see how well these work. Though I suspect they all come from the same place in BV-land.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6MZX:

I had a few from Aldi, they went in the bin after a few times faffing round to recharge them. Much easier to put your hands in your pockets.

In reply to G1INK:

Steve

I also bought some a few years ago. I still have mine but I only used them once. In really cold weather they cool down in a few minutes and I decided that it was more effective to carry a flask of coffee. Like you I find them a pain to recharge (and a hugely inefficient use of energy).

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

It sounds like your experience is the same as mine Richard. I’ll offer them to Sarah next time she accompanies me. In a pocket, out of the wind, they may stay warm longer and take the edge off the cold she always complains about when waiting for me to finish faffing about.

Recharging I thought was easy… I placed the spent warmer inside one of the kid’s old wash-mitts and popped that into a pan of boiling water. That keeps the plastic from touching the pan.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

’ In a pocket, out of the wind, they may stay warm longer and take the edge off the cold’

This is also a valid point before they are activated.
Because there is a more or less constant temperature rise from the chemical reaction, the higher the starting temperature the higher the final temperature.
So better to keep them in your pocket rather than in the rucksack.

Ron,GW4EVX

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi!

Look at my video. In the middle of them you can see my hand-warmer in action. :wink:

The price was by Eur 2,50

73 de Chris OE5HCE

In reply to OE5HCE:

Hello Christian,

Again a nice video and warm hands.
CU Nxt

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

You know when you are on winter points when the thrid sip of coffee is noticably cooler than the first.

Tandy sold some electrically AAA heated gloves for a time which work ok and you can get wastcoats based on the same principle. Since we all carry batteries anyway…