Gun Hill G/SP-013, GFF-014

Yesterday (Thursday) was a nice sunny day here with 14C. I had just realised that Id not activated anything in September & a quick check revealed Id not earned my point from Gun Hill yet this year. As the solar flux had exceeded 90 for only the 3rd or 4th time in the last 4 years, the idea was to play on 20m & try for some N America contacts.

After working Viktor HA5LV on HA/ND-008 at home, I threw the gear into the car & headed for Gun. Once set up I tried a few calls on my alerted freq on 20m, these went unanswered so I decided to self spot. As I was in the Peak Park I asked to be put in the cluster as GFF-014 as well (thanks G1NKI & others).

For the first 5 or 10 mins I worked a few SOTA chasers then all hell broke loose as the WFF clx spot filtered through. An eventful 71 minutes bagged 128 contacts in the log. I did manage 1 W1 & a VE9, there may have been other NA stations calling, however if they were they didn`t break the East Eu / Russian wall of noise. Interestingly Don G0RQL got his 5/5 signal through the wall due to recognising his voice - not bad for short skip.

Many thanks to all callers & the clx spots. Batteries on charge for Sunday (if wx is better than forecast).

In reply to G1INK:

The WX for Sunday looks possible but only if I drive up North East some distance. I might try something out Braemar way. Need another S2S with you Steve.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy - Ive booked my usual all-inclusive boozy break in GM/SS for the 2nd week in Feb, hope to grab a few more uniques as theyre getting few & far between now.
ttfn