Expanded list of operator names for VK port-a-log

The Android logging app VK port-a-log developed by Peter VK3ZPF (VK port-a-log | VK3ZPF Ham Radio Blog) is being used by a steadily increasing number of SOTA activators. When you initially install the app, it creates a new file that will contain operator names associated with callsigns. At first, however, this file is empty. Given that I “occasionally” do some activations, I have over time built up a names file with 7421 callsigns and first names. During a hectic pileup, I find it extremely useful when the app suggests a first name after I enter a callsign. In cases when the app does not suggest a name, that means that I am either working with the call of a new SOTA participant or else I have made an error in entering the callsign. Because the latter case is more likely to occur, I take another close listen to the pileup. In this way, I have been able to significantly reduce the number of error in picking up callsigns.

My names file, using parentheses, might also provide a nickname or shortened name or even a special description (“unknown OM”). In the latter case, I have not yet been able to find a name for the operator in the Buckmaster database, in qrz.com, QRZ.CQ, Google or information provided by the Telecom authorities in the associated country.

Manuel HB9DQM has removed “funny” control characters from my names file and uploaded it to the HB9SOTA website; from the home page, go to the menu items SOTA → TECHNIK UND SOFTWARE → Software (https://hb9sota.ch/sota/technik/). We invite you all to download and install the file. On your Android device, using a file manager such as ES File Explorer Pro, first go to the VKportalog folder, then proceed to the “names” folder where you replace the existing names.csv file with the one you have downloaded from the HB9SOTA website.

If you would like to add a name, please note that you can enter it into VK port-a-log only during a QSO. Further, new names are not arranged alphabetically but rather are simply appended at the name of the names.csv file. Because of an as-yet not addressed shortcoming in the app, once you have saved a QSO, it is no longer possible to enter a name. A practical workaround is to mark a missing name during a QSO with a question mark in the Names field on the input screen, and afterwards replace it in names.csv with the actual name using a text editor.

Bruno HB9CBR has field tested the new names.csv file. Despite this, if you should uncover any errors, I kindly ask you to report them to me at juerg.regli@swissonline.ch. I wish you success in using my names file for VK port-a-log.

73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

5 Likes

Namensliste für VK port-a-log
Die Loggingsoftware VK port-a-log von VK3ZPF (VK port-a-log | VK3ZPF Ham Radio Blog) wird von immer mehr SOTA-Aktivierern benutzt. Wenn man die Software, welche ausschliesslich auf Android läuft, neu installiert, enthält das Programm eine Namensdatei, welche names.csv genannt wird. Sie enthält rund 1’000 Namen von Amateurfunkern aus VK und ZL. Da ich «gelegentlich» Berge aktiviere, ist bei mir eine Namensdatei von 7’421 Rufzeichen und Vornamen zustande gekommen. In einem hektischen CW-Pile-up finde ich es äusserst wertvoll, wenn mir die Software nach Eingabe eines Rufzeichens einen Namensvorschlag zeigt. Wenn ich keinen solchen erhalte, handelt es sich beim Call um ein neues SOTA-Mitglied oder um einen Morsefehler. Da Letzteres wahrscheinlicher ist, höre ich im Pile-up noch einmal genau hin. So gelingt es mir, die Anzahl der Morsefehler deutlich zu reduzieren.

Die Datei enthält in Klammern auch Nick- oder Kurznamen oder Bezeichnungen wie (unkown om). In diesen Fällen habe ich weder in den Datenbanken von Buckmaster, qrz.com, QRZ.CQ, Google oder länderspezifischen Fernmeldebehörden den Namen gefunden.

Manuel, HB9DQM hat meine Namensdatei von «lustigen» Steuerzeichen befreit und auf HB9SOTA unter der Rubrik «Technik und Software» Technik und Software – HB9SOTA hochgeladen. Dort steht sie euch für den Download zur Verfügung. Mit dem Dateimanager ES File Explorer Pro ersetzt ihr die Datei names.csv im Unterordner «names» des VKportalog-Ordners durch die neue, von der HB9SOTA-Website heruntergeladene names.csv.

Wenn ihr neue Namen einfügen wollt, könnt ihr diese nur während eines QSOs in VK port-a-log eintippen. Die neuen Namen werden nicht alphabetisch eingeordnet, sondern befinden sich am Schluss der Datei names.csv. Wegen eines noch nicht behobenen Programmierfehlers kann man nach dem Abspeichern eines QSOs leider keine Namenseinträge vornehmen. Eleganter ist es, fehlende Namen während eines QSOs mit einem Fragezeichen im Namensfeld zu markieren und anschliessend mit einem Editor die Operatornamen in der Namensdatei zu ergänzen.

Bruno, HB9CBR hat die neue names.csv getestet. Wenn ihr trotzdem Fehler entdeckt, wäre ich froh, wenn ihr mir diese bitte an juerg.regli@swissonline.ch melden würdet. Ich wünsche euch viel Erfolg mit meiner Namensdatei für VK port-a-log.
73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

2 Likes

Vielen Dank, schon heruntergeladen! Ein Anreiz mehr, jetzt doch von Papier auf VK Port-a-Log umzusteigen…

73, Sylvia

. . . kann ich nur empfehlen, Sylvia – nach einer ersten etwas hektischen Aktivierung mit Lampenfieber habe ich mich ganz schnell an den neuen Komfort gewöhnt. Jürg kann dir das zeigen.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

The initial installation of VK port-a-log will install a names.csv file with over 1000 call signs and names, mostly VK and ZL hams. Any new operators worked will have the names appended to this file.

When the names.csv file is replaced, as suggested, any names not contained in the new file will be lost.

To prevent this occurring I’d suggest copying the existing and new names.csv files into Excel, removing any dupes and then saving a single file as names.csv. Then replace the file on the Android device.

I’ve added ‘Import names.csv’ function to the list of features for a future version.

A name can be added after the QSO is saved by tapping on the QSO in the log list and, using the QSO edit function, add the name in the names field. This will then add the name to the names.csv file.

I have, however, just noticed that if one edits a name using the QSO edit function the app doesn’t save the new name to the names.csv file. I have added this to the bug list for the next release.

Peter VK3ZPF

2 Likes