EA8 SOTA DXPedition

cool

Makes one laugh when one contact stations running well ones only like 1% of there power .

Still jolly good going on James station of 1 watt he was doing very well

karl

It was tough going on 1w SSB today. I ended the activation after an hour with 19 QSO’s, which included two S2S with DO1DJJ/P and HB9AFI/P.

15m was a disaster, every time I thought a frequency was clear and spotted myself a QSO would appear out of the QSB or a QRO station would start calling CQ DX on top of me, I’ll be back up to 10w tomorrow.

Makes one laugh when one contact stations running well ones only like 1% of there power

I had a QSO with G0UIH on Saturday, I was using 100mw SSB and he was using 400w, he was using 4000 times more power than me, I was still 54-56 to him :wink:

Ah well you’ll be rocking with 1W when your CW is polished up James :smile:

…and well done on the milliwatting. 100mw versus 400w = 36db therefore I would imagine he was 59 plus 10 to 20db with you if you were 54-56 with him.

FWIW you chose the right time to be away from the Chilterns. Snow is forecast here tomorrow!

73 Marc G0AZS

Hi James,
Again - I think you did a great job today.
1w SSB was fine and I guess chasers will be pleased that you stayed on various frequencies for quite awhile to allow for propagation variations, excellent :sunglasses:
Night night
Mike

The XYL will be happy about that when she has to catch her train to work tomorrow :blush:

To be honest the summit I was on today had a little bit of ice and snow, at one point I tried to find a discreet place to “use the facilities”, then slipped on an ice patch and cut my hand on a sharp rock, there’s now my blood on my kit and some of the summit :wink:

1w SSB was fine and I guess chasers will be pleased that you stayed on various frequencies for quite awhile to allow for propagation variations

I tried the best I could, my biggest difficulty was a surprising lack of oxygen, getting up and down to adjust the antenna left me breathless as well as some QSOs. I guess I wasn’t acclimatised to the height. I’ve been much higher before in the Himalayas and only noticed altitude effects at 3,500m+ The XYL was perplexed as to why I kept needing to stop, that is until she hit 4,000m and realised why I was winging :wink:

A beer at 4,100m has quite an effect from memory :smiley:

Here are some of the photos from the activation of EA8/LP-001 Roque de Muchachos today, happy with the 10 points + 3 winter bonus. In the operating spot it was very pleasant, sheltered and sunny. On top of the summit the wind chill took it down to around 3 degrees…

Panorama from summit:

Spot the vertical to the bottom right:

The kit:

There’s loads more and video but that’s all I can upload with shaky internet :wink:

4 Likes

Just received storm warning for 80-90Km/hr winds on Römerstein, so may not be able to activate, Bussen still looks OK for later however. I’ll head out to Römerstein and make call when I get there. But there’s a chance I may not be able to activate.

Ed.

Is that it for the antenna

wow and 1w too

Lovely pics thanks again

Karl

Is that it for the antenna

wow and 1w too

Yes, the vertical is loaded and no taller than 1.5m which is great as most of the activations are done in strong winds, there’s no way today’s activation could have happened using 10m fishing mast and linked dipole, the wind on the summit was almost too strong to stand up on :smiley:

Thanks for the Summit to Summit today James. When I first saw your spot and switched to 10m, it was like you were on 2m from down the road, then the QSB kicked in and before I got through the pile-up to you, you were literally varying between 5-9 and 5-1! Of course when I got through you dropped in signal strength (as I guess I did too), so thanks for hanging in there and making the contact.

I will be posting reports on my two activations today on my blog at dd5lp.com in the next few days and linking to the articles from the SOTA summits data pages.

I didn’t have a 3 hour walk to either of these summits but the weather at Bussen was HORRIBLE and I got well and truly lost driving between Roemerstein and Bussen!

73 Ed.

Even more amazing.
What one was trying to tell you was, one was down stairs making the other half a cuppa and the radio was already set to freq and heard your dulcet tones breaking through. For here, for some unknown reason one,s noise levels on 10M are very low say compared to 40 and 20.

Will be listening for you again today

Karl

Well young man.

What plans a foot for the next one, one ponders with bated breath.

You caught me out today, had radio tuned to 10m and you popped up on 20.

So rather quickly re-tuning the radio and the ATU after finding you
Man, one timed that well just before the pile up started, also on 15 & 10mb your signal still being heard here.

Thanks again James, for your continued tour of the EA8 Sota,s

Karl

Unfortunately I heard nothing of you, just some of the chasers today James. Man I wish I had that beam up already! Still making slow progress on that project and pretty shattered today after yesterdays activations - I’m guessing you may be starting to feel tired after so many activations this week, although I’m sure you’re fitter than I am. Thanks for all the great activations in any case.

Ed.

I’m guessing you may be starting to feel tired after so many activations this week

Yes Ed, feeling the need for a rest now. Thanks again for the S2S yesterday I thought I had missed you as I was late getting to the summit and setting up, turned out to be a longer walk than I expected! Also had another two S2S contacts with S57MS/P and S56LXN/P, both on S5/KS-043. I think that could be the first ever EA8 to S5 S2S QSO.

Yes, I saw that 20m hadn’t been used on the only other previous activation so I thought I’d change that :wink: You were pretty quick of the mark still Karl, second caller after EA2LU.

I’ve activated all three summits on La Palma now for 39 points (incl. winter bonus) and will hop on a ferry tomorrow evening to take me across to Tenerife, where I will rest up until Sunday when I will activate EA8/TF-002 Guajara for 10 points.

105 QSO’s made in total today, iPad logging failed me for the 1st time when it got too hot and turned itself off, now I have 75 QSO’s to type up from paper :confused:

73s James EA8/M0JCQ/P

1 Like

EA8/LP-002 Deseadas

Some views during my ascent, when I arrived I sat inside a cloud and couldn’t see anything!

Thankfully found a rock to shelter behind on summit, the wind was almost too strong to stand in above the rock!

51 QSOs made and a rapid descent to more pleasant conditions :smile:

EA8/LP-003 Pico Bejendo
A few pictures from yesterdays activation :

Summit cairn to far left:

Operating view into the Caldera:

WX was much nicer on the summit and the cloud did not arrive until about 3pm, wind was barely noticeable so I stayed up on the summit for some time and activated on 20, 17, 15 & 10m. 105 QSOs made, 75 of which I will need to type up as the iPad used for logging overheated!

I have woken up with a cold so glad I don’t have any more activations until Sunday now :smile:

Cheers,
James EA8/M0JCQ/P

4 Likes

Good to catch you again on TF-002 on 10m

Looking forwards to next one once again like many of us

Karl

Hi Karl,

I think TF-002 might well be my last activation out here in EA8. I dropped by the cable car station for El Teide on my way back last night and the final summit path is currently closed due to ice & snow. Despite my permit they will not let me proceed to the summit if this is the case tomorrow.

I will drive up to the cable car station tomorrow on the off chance the path has been reopened but chances are it will remain closed for a couple of weeks (as is the normal case in winter). If I get up I’ll be QRV around 12:15pm on 28.360

Cheers,
James EA8/M0JCQ/P

Hello James,
Well done on the trip in any event. I heard a EA8/M0JC? this afternoon and thought it was you. Glad to know I was not in la la land and you were qrv but not on a summit. Noise was so bad so gave up.
I will listen out tomorrow in case the unlikely happens.
It will be interesting to read your report(s) of the trip.
I hope you have a 0 delay trip back.
Best wishes
Night night
Mike

Hi James,
Let me echo the thanks of others for you taking your holiday and making it into a SOTA Fest for all the chasers.
All operations were very impressive.
If you miss El Teide, it’s a shame but in the whole picture, you have activated so many summits. I would guess more than anyone else who has travelled to the Canary Islands before.

Once again thank you and have a good trip back home to “good ol’ Blighty”!

73 Ed DD5LP.

James, well done for your EA8 activations tour.
73 Angel