EA8 SOTA DXPedition

Thanks Ed, sorry to hear that, I understand how frustrating it is to have limited antenna opportunities, that’s why I become an activator :wink:

You should speak to DL8DXL about his antenna setup, I’m not sure what he’s using but he caught me on all 3 activations on Thursday.

Cheers, James M0JCQ

Hi James,
I have received a tri-bander mini beam for Christmas, so when I can get that up in the air, things will be different. Problem is the 100-110Km/hr winds outside at the moment! If things calm down, I might get it installed next week.

Good luck with your upcoming activations and take care.

73 Ed.

That sounds like just the thing!

I’m QRV from 3 summits today so keep an eye out, you never know conditions might be better today :wink:

1 Like

Will be listening for ya :wink:

karl

I will be listening too. Ed

1 Like

Thank you James!
I am so very happy that we managed the contact on LA-004 this afternoon! I saw the spot saying that you were packing up for the day after not being able to hear you on 10m, then you sent a spot saying that you were on 20m and delaying the third summit until tomorrow.

There was QRM from a station close to your frequency but after we made the contact you came up an S-point or so, so I could continue listening. Hey hey, the piece of wet string works!

Now I need to work even harder to catch you on another summit so that I have the required two contacts from EA8, for it to count as another association and new continent (Africa) for me for the Mountain Hunter award. Hopefully get you on 20m again tomorrow.

Here’s hoping for another contact 73 and thanks again - Ed DD5LP.

Also happy to make two EA8 Sota today on 10m this morning and 15m late in afternoon.

Did you hear you on LA-004 this afternoon on 10m but so low in the radio but could hear plenty trans-pond chasers making the trip to you.

Bring on tomorrow

Thanks again
Karl

Hi Karl, Hi James,

I can hardly believe it but I managed a contact ON TEN METRES with James this afternoon on EA8/LA-011. My wet string antenna works even worse on 10m than on 20 but James heard me - Thankyou! I have been trying to get contacts into a third continent for over 4 months now and here we did it in two days!

Thanks for activating so many peaks in what is classified as the Africa continent James. Hope you are having fun, you’re certainly providing great opportunities for us chasers.

Vy 73 Ed DD5LP.

1 Like

Afternoon ED.
Yep good to work james again this afternoon on 10m
You mention the wet bit of string, is yours the size of a G5RV (102ft)
( 30+M) as like wise here and only running 10w as well.

More EA8 sotas tomorrow, one believe from what james mentioned today

Karl

Hi Karl,
Antenna is a 40m full wavelength horizontal loop at 7m AGL. Trouble is it’s more of a triangle than a loop or square and part of it runs over the house here. It’s a matter of, that’s all the garden I have. In Australia it fitted perfectly into the rear garden as an 11m x 11m square and did not have to go over any part of the house.

Running a bit more power than you (300W) but even so at the signal level I was getting James, buried in my noise, I didn’t expect him to come back to me, but he did - Thanks again James.

73 Ed DD5LP.

Glad I managed the contact Ed & Karl! The summit today was a strange old place, unlike anything I’ve seen on earth before. I had to walk over a lava field for 1.5-2 hours (each way) to get to it, pretty tough going. I was operating from the ridge of a volcano overlooking the Martian landscape surrounding the summit.

To be honest the signals from the both of you were the same in strength, buried a bit but quite readable none the less! As I’m sure you know it pays to call a bit later after the activation has been spotted, during the initial pileup it’s hard to pick out the weaker signals and mostly calls for QRZ are met by solid wall of noise, but certainly after this if I can hear you I’ll try my best to work you :wink:

I finished activating all the (possible) summits on Lanzarote today. Tomorrow I head for the island of La Palma where I plan to activate 3 ten pointers between Tuesday & Thursday…

Tue 13th EA8/LP-001 Roque de Los Muchachos
Wed 14th EA8/LP-002 Deseadas
Thu 15th EA8/LP-003 Pico Bejenado

Hope to work you again for some more points :wink:

Cheers,
James M0JCQ

Hi James,
I hope you took some photos today of that landscape - being so different from a normal summit, it would be nice to have a photo of it as one of the photos displayed while accessing the SOTA Logging Database web pages.

I hope you are enjoying your trip outside of the SOTA activations. Good luck for the activations on La Palma. I’ll be listening. I might even have my new beam up by Thursday (depends on whether the high winds here die down in the interim).

Ok on the comment to wait until the hub-hub has died down before calling - as it turned out your signal came up later on - earlier when all others were calling, you were so weak that I couldn’t tell what you were saying, just that something was there.

I will be activating an 8 or 10 pointer (depending which is accessible) here on Friday (perhaps I’ll even do both if the weather improves) but that’s too late for your La Palma activations otherwise it would have been nice to try for an S2S however I’ll only be running 5w, so might not be possible in any case.

73 Ed DD5LP.

Roll on Tuesday.
Sometimes One can catch you at the start and yet again as you say once it dies down get in there as One does.

One may not put out much of a signal with 10w to you but all maters to one is one is heard.

Look forward to Tues - Thursday.
Once again thanks for keeping us informed.

But mostly looking forwards to the pictures on your return

Karl

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34876007@N00/5584343917/

View from LA-010 with uncharacteristic cloudy sky.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the one :smile: When I get a good internet connection I’ll upload pictures/videos and reports… I just need a good internet connection first :wink:

I’m waiting in the departures lounge for a flight to Tenerife and then the onwards connecting flight to La Palma. The LiFePo made it through security again :smiley:

Cheers,
James M0JCQ

2 Likes

Hi James,
My activation day has changed from Friday because of the weather forecast here, so I plan to be activating DM/BW-078 Römerstein (10 pts) around 1100 UTC and DM/BW-484 Bussen (8 pts) around 1500 UTC tomorrow, Wednesday. Perhaps we might manage a S2S to EA8/LP-002 Deseadas from one of my summits. As I said before on 17m and up, I can only run 5W (25w on 40m and 15w on 20m when I put my small amp on but it only covers 40, 30 & 20m).

73 Ed.

Hi Ed,

I plan to be activating DM/BW-078 Römerstein (10 pts) around 1100 UTC and DM/BW-484 Bussen (8 pts) around 1500 UTC

Fantastic stuff, a S2S would be great. Depending on conditions I will be on Deseadas from 12pm onwards. I will start the activation on 10m probably and then 15m and possibly 17m.

Will you have a data connection to see my spots? I don’t have roaming data on, just a regular cellular connection.

Otherwise I’m sure the chasers will be able to tell us what the other one is doing :smile:

Also if you call in and make it clear its S2S then the chasers usually let the other activator know and give you priority. 5w should be fine, I should be back up to QRO of 10w tomorrow (today my activation of EA8/LP-001 Roque de Los Muchachos will be using just 1w due to power limits on summit).

I’ll listen out for you Ed, in all reality you may well be a stronger signal from up on a summit with a clear takeoff using just 5w :wink:

Cheers,
James M0JCQ

1W wow
10% of my power of 10w

Karl

10W to 1W is only a drop of just over one and a half S points.

Hi James,
Listened for you today from my home QTH. I could hear nothing on 10m or 20m and on 15m there was another QSO going on your advertised frequency (that’s the problem with a non-directional antenna here).

OK for tomorrow. I don’t know if I will have cell connection at either of my summits, however I do have a dual-sim phone on two major networks here, so normally if one doesn’t work the other will (but not always). So hopefully I will see your spots. I presume you are sending them via SMS?

I’ll try to stick around at DM/BW-078 until 1200 UTC but I also have over an hours drive (plus walk to car times plus pull down and set up time) to get to my second summit DM/BW-484. I’ll be there from UTC 1500 but I guess you’ll have left Deseadas by then, so I’ll try to stretch out the first activation as much as possible. In fact I’ll move my start time out by 30mins aswell as rain is forecast, so I don’t want to be waiting in the rain for longer than I need to.

73 Ed.