Christmas Quiz 2011

In reply to OK1HAG:

well there already is one smaller ambiguity (question #14)

If we had been asked to give the references, yes.

Marek - not necessarily, as it is the name of the summit that is the answer, the reference is not required.

Martyn - indeed it would. But it wasn’t included, and I’m quite certain that each question has only one possible correct answer.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

People are getting close to finishing so…

Should I wait for confirmation that we have all of them correct (e-mail sent last night) or post the answers here?

Carolyn

In reply to M1EYP:

Martyn - indeed it would. But it wasn’t included, and I’m quite
certain that each question has only one possible correct answer.

I agree. (I have sent you all 20 answers by Email).

I believe there is only one pair in the UK that is ambiguous under your encoding, which would have been an interesting quiz question in itself were the cat not already out of the bag.

In reply to G3CWI:
I have also sent the list of 20 - so pipped to the post, d’oh

Andrew,
G4AFI

In reply to G3CWI:

Yes, some of us were expecting an easy week at work leading to a long Christmas shutdown. Unfortunately my employer’s overseas customers don’t have the same party ethic as we do in the UK and I’m expected to actually achieve something this week.

I’d appreciate it if we don’t post the answer in this thread but a separate one. That way I can ignore it till I’ve had a pop at it myself.

Andy
MM0FMF

2011 Christmas Quiz honour roll

1=) Helen M0YHB, Carolyn G6WRW, Martyn M1MAJ, Marek OK1HAG - 20
5) Andrew G4AFI - 16
6) Richard G3CWI - 6
7) Mario DC7CCC - 1
8=) Brian M6OXO, Jimmy M3EYP, Paul M0TVU, Brian G8ADD, Stewart G0LGS - 0

Jimmy’s A Level maths certificates arrived today (maths A*, further maths A) - but yet still the penny hasn’t dropped with the quiz!!!

I agree with Andy - no posting of solutions yet please. I am still getting a fair bit of mail from people who say they are still working on it.

73 Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

For me, Marek’s acheivement is especially noteworthy. It is one thing to sort a code out with summits you are personally familiar with but to do it from overseas seems especially worthy of praise.

It does perhaps suggest the the universal language is mathematics.

Well done Marek!

Richard
G3CWI

Well I have looked at the list and some suggestions in this thread as to what some parts of the answer might be and I don’t have the faintest clue on how the magic code was derived or how to unravel it.

Stewart G0LGS

I just wondered if there would be any summits I know from our G/LD hiking trip 5 years ago, that’s why I solved all 20. Unfortunately I wasn’t licensed at that time yet so I just found some Charlie G0PZO’s sotacaches :slight_smile:

73 Marek

In reply to M1EYP:
Is that 16/20 from my most recent PM to you? If so I need to have another look and sort my stupid errors.

Andrew,
G4AFI

In reply to G4AFI:

Yes Andrew - your mistakes were only little ones and should be easily rectified.

Latest:

2011 Christmas Quiz honour roll

1=) Helen M0YHB, Carolyn G6WRW, Martyn M1MAJ, Marek OK1HAG, Jimmy M3EYP, Andrew G4AFI - 20
7) Richard G3CWI - 6
8) Mario DC7CCC - 1

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Sent you another PM Tom to hopefully correct my 4 silly errors !

Cheers,
Andrew G4AFI

In reply to M1EYP:

Good to see Jimmy on the list at last. I always felt he was a prime candidate to be first to crack the code given his talent for maths. I suppose it demonstrates that in code breaking many factors come into play; some less obvious than others.

Richard
G3CWI

Time for some answers Tom?

73 es HNY

Richard
G3CWI

Not heard yet from some of the people who wanted more time to work on it without having it spoiled by answers. In any case, it will be more convenient to put the solutions on from home, so expect them nearer to 2012.

Merry Christmas,

Tom M(I)1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Publish them Tom, but do it in a different thread to this. That way people still doing the quiz wont stumble on the results in the this thread. Of course, that will need some self-control not to cheat by looking elsewhere. But it would be a deliberate action then, not accidental.

Andy
MM0FMF

For those (like me) that don’t have a clue on what the code is some sort of explanation of that too please !!

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:
Still time to have a go Stewart. Make yourself a list of prime numbers starting at 2 and continue until you have 26 of them, one prime number representing a letter of the alphabet. Then for each code you need to factorise into a set of prime numbers. There are tools on the Internet to help with this. Substitute each prime number for its letter. Now you have a set of jumbled letters which you have to sort into a summit name.

Happy Chtistmas,
Andrew G4AFI