Christmas Quiz 2011

Hmmm, sense of dejavu there…

In reply to M1EYP:

Cracked it. PM on Facebook with 1)-5) and 7). After that I got bored with the maths.

I can now confirm that G3CWI is the 2nd to crack the code and decipher the mystery SOTA summits. However, for his contempt in using the words “bored” and “maths” in the same sentence, not to mention the implied disrespect of this nation’s proud mathematical heritage, I am considering disqualifying him.

Merry Christmas.

Tom M1EYP

Still only two people that have worked out the “cipher key”, and no-one that has given me a full set of 20 correct answers. Several people have worked out why a certain number is related to a certain letter - but don’t seem to be able to develop that as far as cracking the code.

At least the quiz might make it as far as the December the twentysomethings for a change!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

It’s not really a proper code though, is it? It’s not unambiguously reversible, unless you already know that the plaintext comes from a restricted set.

Does that mean you’ve found the 20 SOTA summits then?

In reply to M1EYP:

Does that mean you’ve found the 20 SOTA summits then?

I haven’t had time, but I think I know how.

Don’t be so down on yourself Brian. Your answers put you in equal 3rd place!

2011 Christmas Quiz honour roll

1. Richard G3CWI - 3
  2. Helen M0YHB - 1
  3. Brian M6OXO, Martyn M1MAJ, Jimmy M3EYP, Paul M0TVU, Brian G8ADD, Andrew G4AFI - 0

:frowning:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Actually I haven’t looked at it since Saturday afternoon, Tom, what with the climbing club Xmas dinner, shopping and pre-Xmas family visits QRM!

Incidentally, it isn’t a quiz, its a puzzle!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Eh, I don’t know, it’s not a proper code, it’s not a proper quiz etc, I’ll have to start a pedants’ corner list like I did on a previous Christmas Quiz sometime soon!

Anyway, I’m quite good at pedantry myself, so I’ve just looked up “quiz” in a few online dictionaries and thesauruses, and I’m confident and satisfied that this can be described as a quiz! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tom M1EYP

Hi Tom

have you seen my e-mail?

Carolyn

People who have cracked the code (or think they have) and are merely having trouble with the arithmetic might find that http://www.wolframalpha.com/ provides a useful tool.

In reply to M1EYP:

3? I gave you the answers for 1,2,3,4,5 and 7! I have no intention of doing more as it is akin to operating a sausage machine - but without the tasty sausages.

In reply to M1MAJ:
Cracked it

How do I send you the answer Tom

eg 1272155 97 361974 – inside a head

Andrew,
G4AFI

In reply to G3CWI:

without the tasty sausages

“tasty sausages on a summit” sounds like something you should consider cooking over the festive season Richard. Something to do when you are out with the Tom the Soup Dragon and his offspring.

Andy
MM0FMF

I look forward to you operating your sausage machine on a festive joint activation Richard. A serving of tasty soup can be provided in exchange again.

OK, revised table…

2011 Christmas Quiz honour roll

1. Richard G3CWI - 6
  2. Helen M0YHB - 1
  3. Brian M6OXO, Martyn M1MAJ, Jimmy M3EYP, Paul M0TVU, Brian G8ADD, Andrew G4AFI - 0

Carolyn - if you sent it to my home address after 11pm last night, then no, I’ve not seen it yet.

Andrew - to my home email, which is good on QRZ.com

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Sent a PM to your email address Tom

Andrew, G4AFI

In reply to M1EYP:

Yes it was and you might as well ignor the second e-mail that was sent just after as people are getting closer

Carolyn

It’s a good thing that G/LD-027 was not included in this quiz, as the answer would then be ambiguous.

In reply to M1MAJ:

It’s a good thing that G/LD-027 was not included in this quiz, as the
answer would then be ambiguous.

well there already is one smaller ambiguity (question #14)

73 Marek OK1HAG