Chaser Question

The first VK chaser to make a G contact was Paul VK5PAS, when we worked from G/SP-004 Shining Tor on 22nd May.

However, we made a previous contact on 1st December 2011 when I activated GW/NW-044 Moel Famau.

This was before the VK Association was running.

Can Paul log our December Moel Famau contact?

TIA

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

I do not think that the location of the chaser matters.

He made a valid contact with you on GW/NW-044 and the fact that he does not have a “home” association does not come into it. There are LY and ES chasers in the data-base.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:
It doesn’t matter, and indeed Paul VK5PAS is waiting on his own home association VK5 to happen sometime late this year or perhaps early next. I can say that there are some juicy SOTA summits that have been identified there, so it will be a little bit of watch this space.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:
Speaking of spaces to watch, watch this one:

I have checked all of these summits for 150m prominence using Geoscience Australia data. VK5CZ is building up the summit spreadsheet, doing UTM conversions and will work on the ARM for VK5. I look forward to the opportunity to activate some of these in the not too distant future.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to G4SSH and VK3WAM

Thanks Roy and Wayne.

I think you’ve answered Pauls question.

My concern was that the Database may try to chuck his chaser claim out, as the contact was made before the VK Association was up and running.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The first VK chaser to make a G contact was Paul VK5PAS, when we
worked from G/SP-004 Shining Tor on 22nd May.

If only that was true Mike but sadly not

Tom M1EYP made the 1st G-VK with VK2BJ on 12th March 2011 and the first ever VK chase was made by John GW4BVE with Mike, VK3KMA on 20th April 2004.

However, as stated, the chaser doesn’t have to be registered as a chaser for it to count. Of course, if there is no chaser log then you wont get a star on the chaser log.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

The first VK chaser to make a G contact was Paul VK5PAS, when we
worked from G/SP-004 Shining Tor on 22nd May.

If only that was true Mike but sadly not

Tom M1EYP made the 1st G-VK with VK2BJ on 12th March 2011 and the
first ever VK chase was made by John GW4BVE with Mike, VK3KMA on 20th
April 2004.

It’s comforting to know that in 25 years time, should very rare DXCCs such as St. Pierre & Miquelon, Malawi or North Mariana Islands ever decide join SOTA, I can claim to be the first to have worked them as an activator (unless someone else has already worked them from here in the UK of course?) even though these SOTA associations never even exisited at the time.

Mike
2E0YYY

Indeed Mike. As Andy says, an association need not exist to have a valid contact with any DXCC, and for the person you worked to register and claim the QSO as a chaser.

OTOH, it certainly does need to exist in order to work an activator in that DXCC, which is why international S2S contacts are rather good fun. I’m pretty sure I had the 2nd ever GW to HB S2S (because G3CWI who was joint activating with me at the time - Arenig Fawr GW/NW-011 - got the first IIRC).

I may have the first GI to G S2S (Agnew’s Hill GI/AH-005 to Black Combe G/LD-030) with Alan M1EYO in 2003, but I’m not sure.

Perhaps Andy can churn out a grid with all the associations, with the date, summit refs and activators entered into each cell corresponding to the first S2S QSO between those two associations. A very quick and easy job I would have thought…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Sad to say they are not all that rare Mike. None of them are in the “most wanted top 100”. http://www.dxpub.com/dx_news.html

Nice DX though!

Richard
G3CWI

PS Chesterfield is No. 48 so maybe you need to head East a bit for the real pile-ups!

In reply to G3CWI:

Sad to say they are not all that rare Mike. None of them are in the
“most wanted top 100”. http://www.dxpub.com/dx_news.html

Maybe so, but my guess would be these would be rare SOTA contacts.

Bonaire appears on the list, I managed to work that from Gt.Orme last year.

I’d be somewhat surpised if all four (PJ4 7Q FP KH0) have previously appeared in the SOTA Database.

Nice DX though!

Cheers Richard.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I worked FP/G3TXF from an LD some year ago (2006). Pretty certain that I have not worked the others from a Summit (and that I have never worked KH0). 7Q is quite a common DX QSO on CW but whether anyone has worked it from a SOTA is another matter.

There are well over 1,400,000 SOTA QSOs in the database so there is likely to be a lot of unsung DX.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I worked ZL1TM from G/WB-020 on 19/3/2011
and
V85SS on 29/6/2011 from G/SE-001
and
PJ4LS on 25/6/2011 from G/WB-012

but none of them is registered in the database as a chaser.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’d be somewhat surpised if all four (PJ4 7Q FP KH0)

I’m surprised that 7Q is so wanted, I worked it on 6m SSB years ago. Easy contact especially as the world was calling. Got him on the 2nd call through the expert application of good luck! FT690, bodged up ex-CB amp that gave about 11W o/p into an HB9CV.

The first contact for those DX locations were claimed by:

25th Jun 2011 G3NYY/P<>PJ4LS 14MHz CW
26th Apr 2004 GW0VMW<>7Q7MM 28MHz SSB
25th Sep 2006 G3CWI<>FP/G3TXF 10MHz CW

KH0 is the only one not yet worked.

Just bimbling through the contacts shows there’s tons of exotic stuff logged. I think I might have to add a page showing all the countries logged, when they worked and who by.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’d be somewhat surpised if all four (PJ4 7Q FP KH0)

I’m surprised that 7Q is so wanted, I worked it on 6m SSB years ago.
Easy contact especially as the world was calling. Got him on the 2nd
call through the expert application of good luck! FT690, bodged up
ex-CB amp that gave about 11W o/p into an HB9CV.

The first contact for those DX locations were claimed by:

25th Jun 2011 G3NYY/P<>PJ4LS 14MHz CW
26th Apr 2004 GW0VMW<>7Q7MM 28MHz SSB
25th Sep 2006 G3CWI<>FP/G3TXF 10MHz CW

KH0 is the only one not yet worked.

Worked him from Gt.Orme too.

Just bimbling through the contacts shows there’s tons of exotic stuff
logged. I think I might have to add a page showing all the countries
logged, when they worked and who by.

That would be a very interesting and useful page indeed, Andy.

I totally agree with your semtiments about the luck element when working DX, especially from summits. It most certainly helps if you have plenty of it :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

And, of course, if you want to be the first to do something it’s probably not best starting after everyone else has been doing it for a while!

:slight_smile:

The DX worked page with options to sort by DX call, number of times DXCC worked sounds quite intriguing. I’ll put it on the list after Korean support and Barry’s easy awards checker.

Andy
MM0FMF