Battery Woes G/SP-004

Arrived at the Shining Tor trig point early, hoping to get a couple os S2S on the zoo that is the 20m band. Seemed to take an age to get everything set up, however, after faffing about for half an hour, got X-300 collinear and the 6m fishing pole assembled. Then went looking for the S2s on 20m and found nowt. Spotted my self on 20m and found Karen 2E0XYL and 9A7W.

While I was transmitting, I noticed the voltage drop on the 20Ah SLAB, was a bit more than usual. Anyway, QSY’d to 2m SSB and made 13 quick contacts. Then QSY’d to 2m FM and and plodded on through the morning watching the voltage drop even further than normal. I really wanted to try some HF before the battery went into free fall so QSY’d to 17m through 10m. Eventually found PY7RP calling CQ on the 12m band and was beaten to the punch by a French and a German station.

The Brazillian station came back to me on my third attempt and asked if I was having trouble with my power supply as my audio was poor? I tried to explain, but with the battery down to about 9V with a load, it wasn’t too easy.

I then went back to 2m FM and conected the Wouxun handie to the collinear and finished off the activation.

The total…2 contacts on 10m, 1 contact on 12m, 13 contacts on 2m SSB and 133 contacts on 2m FM making 149 contacts on the day. Included were an amazing 14 summit to summits. Even more surprising, the QSO with PY7RP, was the first ever contact on the 12m band from Shining Tor, SOTAs second most popular summit.

As to why the battery went down so quickly, well it’s a mystery to me…possibly the charger gone QRT, I’ll check.

Thanks to everyone who contacted me today, making it a most enjoyable activation.

Mike 2E0YYY

You have my sympathy about the battery Mike. I lugged a SLAB up Pendle once to use in a backpackers contest only to have it completely die on me after about 30 minutes - I was “not amused”…

Keith G8HXE.

Mike,

9V is a lower voltage than a SLAB should ever be discharged, so I suspect that you may have one or more damaged cells.

See Lead–acid battery - Wikipedia

Thanks for the S2S from G/CE-001 yesterday (I was using just a VX-5 and its rubber duck).

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Mike,

9V is a lower voltage than a SLAB should ever be discharged, so I
suspect that you may have one or more damaged cells.

Looks like a damaged cell, probably happened when rucksack fell off the chair with a big thud, when I was packing the battery last week :frowning:

Thanks for the S2S from G/CE-001 yesterday (I was using just a VX-5
and its rubber duck).

You’re welcome.

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

My VX-8 battery died on Buckden Pike yesterday (23 Apr) whilst talking to G4 UXH on 433 M/cs. Apologies. Had to resort to the VX-110.

It was a poor day as no dragons to slay nor fair maidens to rescue from the dragons dens. Maybe next year.

It was also quite unusual as the bogs were almost dry but of course Nell found the muck as we came up from Walden Head. Of course one cannot stroll up this hill without paying homage to N2848 and the brave Polish aircrew.

In reply to G6DDQ:

My father was in a Wellington crash in 1943. Managed to win himself a George Medal for saving a number of trapped crew. I keep it here in the shack next to a box of N connectors.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Wow 133 contacts on 2fm, that’s pretty impressive mike. I can only dream of numbers like that!!

Adrian
Mm0tai

In reply to MM0TAI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Wow 133 contacts on 2fm, that’s pretty impressive mike. I can only
dream of numbers like that!!

Thanks Adrian. However, we do have the distinct advantage of densly populated areas here in the West Midlands and North West. Also in that number were lots of /M and /P stations.

Even from the higher summits in GM, I’ve read reports of difficulties on VHF and this must be very frustrating?

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike

Not sure where you got your SLABs from but long ago I discovered that it was only worth buying new SLABs from a reputable supplier. They then need to be looked after properly. SLABs on the secondhand market are usually there for a reason.

Anyway SLABs are so “last year” these days.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Yeah ive learned the hard way!! I think the best ive had up here on 2fm is about 15ish…but often much less. But when i was down on g/ce-001 earlier in the year there was loads of stations to work (well it was vhf fun day).

Looking for an s2s sometime :slight_smile:

Adrian

In reply to G3CWI:
SLABs on the secondhand market

are usually there for a reason.

Slabs are used to back-up alarms and emergency lights etc and are changed once a year whether they need it or not: I used to get a regular supply from the Uni I used to work at!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8HXE:

You have my sympathy about the battery Mike. I lugged a SLAB up Pendle
once to use in a backpackers contest only to have it completely die on
me after about 30 minutes - I was “not amused”…

Tell me about it, Keith… Using a handy from a summit just isn’t quite the same as having a mic in your hand.

Thanks for the contact yesterday …what a glorious day. It was as busy as Piccadilly Circus up there. Funnily enough, a Ranger appeared and talked to a couple about smoking up there. He took a long look at me and the antennas bungeed to the finger post, nodded and went on his way.

Mike 2E0YYY