Are the bands also dead in Europe?

Not hearing a single signal on 20M, SOTA or QRO.

Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

A few weak stations here on twenty: According to Spaceweather.com the planetary K-index is storming at 5 - 6, the solar wind isn’t particularly fast at 426.5 k/s but has a high proton density at 15.6 per cm3. Bottom line, you have aurora as far south as the Great Lakes right now.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Have you guys been able to work the SOTA stations that have activated on HF today?

In reply to N1EU:

I worked F6ENO/P on 14.045 MHz at 10:08 UTC. Weak but workable.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to N1EU:

The F2 Critical frquency is only 4.3MHz at presnt in the UK. 60m & 40m are currently not useable for NVIS. I can hear several stations in EU on 40m & 20m but conditions are very much depressed from usual.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to N1EU:

The spots would suggest some contacts being worked. When I saw your 1st message I had a tune about and could here a single weak RTTY station on 20m. It’s dead now for me. An “is my radio working?” beacon I use is DDK9 on 10.1018MHz. It should be S9+++ right now but it’s just there in the background. There are a few weak CW signals on 40m, ON6QO? was the loudest but no S-meter reading but is fading now :frowning:

Just as well it was raining hard when I woke up, with more rain predicted I decided to go back to bed. Just as well, a 14km wet walk and no radio would be a nightmare!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to N1EU:

So far I’ve worked OE5HFM and 5MOM on OE/NO-119 and LA8BCA on LA/OL-215 but it is a struggle with weak signals, deep QSB and the neighbours watching Le Mans on a plasma TV! :frowning:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It is true; last week I activated three summits in OE and I posted each time an alert, but I could only make poor 1-3 QSO´s on each summit. All these stations give no feedback in the database… But it was fun!

Bert
DJ0MEW

10 + 15 m “dead”, no takers today.

73, 44 de
Joerg, DO1DJJ
/p this week in the Black Forest…

In reply to N1EU:

More or less normal activation today in the EU time zone. 2 QSOs on the 17 m band, 18 on 20 m (first time spotted here by CT1BQH, thanks) and 9 on 40 m. HA7UG tried but could not copy me on 30 m due to local QRN. The prediction from NOAA for today was possible R1 blockouts, which is not yet so strong. The scale is up to R5.

Thanks to G3WPF for spotting too.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to N1EU:

yesterday Saturday, during our activation of EA2/NV-068 I felt as well having less activity than usual.
Although I did some qso’s as far as Russia, I didn’t have any pile up on 20 CW and I kept cq’ing with long spaces in between.

I missed a lot of the frequent EU chasers (G, D, HA,…) and signals were not great too.

Ignacio

In reply to EA2BD:
all the band are dead 20m open today 40 open on monday

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:

10m bouncing here with sporadic E mainly to Southern Eu (S5 etc).

In reply to G1INK:
10m may be bouncing there with sporadic E but 10m is dead

20M seemed fairly good around sunrise this morning - worked GB10SOTA and OE3KAB.

Barry N1EU

In reply to MW6GWR:

Is the antenna plugged in? I find this often helps!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
yes it is thanks Andy

In reply to MW6GWR:
I just look the band that dead are 50. 28. 24. 10. 3.5. 1.8 all modes and 145. but this is always dead

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:

Well there’s Es on 4m/6m/10m as we speak according to the cluster. GMs are working DL on 10m Es. SFI is 118 and K=1 doesn’t sound wonderful nor terrible.

Bet if you went on 4m/6m/10m and started calling CQ someone would comeback.

G->HA on 6m just popped up and a G1 working 15m mobile into Italy.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
well all are dead only 20m 17m is open now???
oh and we don’t have a radio that will do 4m

not to say that my dad injoyed sporadic f on 50 mhz with one stations in the USA I was out at the time :frowning: and confirmed by LOTW

Ricky