Another foolish question

Hi Addicts!

I uploaded my HA/KM-019 activation log of 30 May 2010 yesterday but astonishingly only 44 QSOs appeared out of the 45 QSO established. Comparing the logs I found that I made an error in QSO with DF5WA, as i typed the reference for HA/KM019 instead of HA/KM-019. :frowning:
Of course I have already corrected it in my WinEQF log but did not want to convert into .ADi than into .CSV. Therefore I decided to enter it manually, thus I entered into menu point Database / Submit log / Submit activator entry. Astonishingly the program rejected my attempt telling that I have already claimed points for this activation…

Haw… I did not want to claim any non-justified extra points but I did not want to deprive Berthold from his well deserved 2 points. I can not believe that the one and only solution for correction were deleting the entire activation log and reload the twice converted log again. What is to be done? What did I do wrong? (Of course in addition to blewing the activated reference in the original entry, that was my fault…)

73: Jóska, HA5CW

In reply to HA5CW:

Download your activator log from the database.

Delete all the other activations in the downloaded CSV so you have a CSV file for just the one activation.

Edit the activation to add the missing entry.

Delete that activation on the SOTA database.

Then upload the modified CSV.

Hope that helps.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

Thanks Steve!

Exactly this is the solution I wanted to avoid…

By the way steps 1 & 2 of your solution are needless since I have on my computer the .CSV file of my activation that I uploaded, so it takes merely a mouse click to edit it.

In reply to HA5CW:

It would be nice to have a simple edit facility to add/alter or delete a single erroneous entry. The odd typo always creeps in, a zero for an oh or something.

In reply to GW7AAV:

Yes, Stephen, exactly this was my point…

In reply to HA5CW:
Hi Joska,
TNX for today’s QSO from my first danish activation at OZ/OZ-001.
But: what is so hard on correcting the typo in your own csv file, deleting the activation in the database and uploading the corrected csv? Matter of one minute.
I did it this way numerous times. I guess at least two out of my ten uploads have to be cleaned of typos after the initial upload.
73 and cu from the next OZ summits.
Ruda OK2QA

In reply to OK2QA:

Ahoj Ruda!

Of course, it can be done. (Perhaps you know the German saying “Warum einfach machen, wann Mann auch kompliziert machen könn?!” = Why to make it simple if you can do it complicated as well?!) Of course, I could delete all of the uploaded 44 QSOs of my activation one by one, edit my .CSV and import this time all the 45 QSOs I established. Tastes are different — said the milkman and he kissed the cow! :-))) My (an probably our most common) characteristic feature is lazyness. Useless, time wasting, boring activities can ake very much!

But let’s prefere practical considerations and forget about emotions.

I assume that nobody goes for an activator trip and establish a single QSO and enters it in this menu point. Furthermore I bet that he who makes at least 2 QSOs, will use the Import activatot TSV/CSV menu point instead! I can not believe that anybody would use this function for entering an entire activation log! Why to enter own callsign, date, activated summit fererence, etc. information per easch and every QSO if it can be avoided?

But if so, that what else could the roll of menu point Database / Submit log / Submit activaror entry be as adding the corrected or accinedtally skipped QSO data? Otherwise this menu point were practically of no use! Do you agree?

73: Joska, HA5CW
P.s. Thanks for your providing me my 1st OZ summit! :slight_smile:

In reply to HA5CW:

When you need to provide same service to thousands of users at the same time, the interface becomes less user friendly compared to your home log software that you use alone. It is also question of limited computer and human resources as far as I can see it. Maybe some new features (bugs) could be introduced, but I can understand also the more conservative approach of restricted functionality from single user point of view.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Dear Jaakko!

Yes, you hit the nail on the head! We need to share and save the limited resources of the server provided to our community.

Deleting 44 records containing correct information takes 44 processing units. Appending them again takes additional 44 units. Please consider: at the sacrifice of 88 processor unit, nothing has changed !!! Appending the one and only NEW QSO record takes one more unit. (At least this one is not wasting of resources!)

My above considerations are nothing but simple housewife’s mathematics and suggestion on program planning based on simple sense !!! Or… khmmm… how shall I put it without hurting people, doing voluntary activity for our community? User friendly programming is one issue and wasting server processing capacity is quite another one! Due to lack of careful program planning I am forced to use 44 + 44 + 1 = 89 units instead of 1.

Sorry, but this is my 2 cents…

In reply to HA5CW:

… I bet that he who makes at least 2 QSOs, will use the Import activatot TSV/CSV menu point instead! I can not believe that anybody would use this function for entering an entire activation log! Why to enter own callsign, date, activated summit fererence, etc. information per easch and every QSO if it can be avoided?

Hi Joska,

Well I’m sorry to say that I must be the one sad person to enter my logs through the menu system. My logs on the activation are hand written and I use an Excel file to record my log at home rather than a specific logging programme. Unfortunately this does not translate into a .csv file that is compatible with the database csv import without a lot of work, so I find it quicker to use the menu system and that is for an average activation of around 18 QSOs.

The requirement for an editable system for the log enties on the database has been on the wish list for some time now. I suspect that had it been an easy task, Gary would have dealt with it long ago.

73, Gerald

Why to enter own callsign, date, activated summit fererence, etc. information per easch and every QSO if it can be avoided?

Using the menu system does not require you to do this.

I use the menu system to enter all my activation logs, often with more than 20 QSOs, and sometimes over 50. The date, reference, own callsign etc is only entered once at the beginning, also the band and mode only needs be entered once for a run of QSOs on the same band/mode combination.

The only thing that must be entered every time, is the time of the QSO, and the callsign of the station worked. I find it very quick. (I also find it very quick and simple to correct an error in my log afterwards).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to HA5CW:

… I bet that he who makes at least 2 QSOs, will use the
Import activatot TSV/CSV menu point instead! I can not believe that
anybody would use this function for entering an entire activation log!
Why to enter own callsign, date, activated summit fererence, etc.
information per easch and every QSO if it can be avoided?

Hi Joska,

I do not use computer logging at home. All my logs are written by hand on paper log books. Therefore I do not have any .csv files to upload to the database. I always upload my SOTA logs manually, line by line, into the database. It does not take long, and you only have to enter your own callsign once.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to HA5CW:

I entered my 24,921 contacts via the menu system without any drama. I can`t see how a csv file is any quicker as you still have to type the chaser c/s & the time. I admit a post edit facility would be useful, in fact I did ask for the facility some years ago and was answered with a firm "no"
73 from a very wet Buxton.

In reply to G1INK:

I too find the menu system very efficient and user friendly. One feature I find useful is that you do not have to stick rigidly to time order. I sometimes find that (particularly on 60m!) you call a station back and he does not respond, by which time his call is already written in the log. No problem, when you eventually do make contact (providing you haven’t changed mode or band) just put the revised time on the original entry. You can still log all the QSO’s in written order but the system sorts them into time order.

One “feature” of the database I do find disconcerting is that it does not necessarily record your activations on a particular day in time order, even if entered in time order! So that prized 100th activation might be recorded as no. 101 in the database…

73 de Paul G4MD

(wishing he could be generating a few more logs to enter…)

I just realised that in my activation log of Moel Famau NW-044 on 16 May 2010, I did not note the summit reference of one of my S2S contacts in the ‘Notes’ field. (Rhys GW4RWR/P on Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012). In my activator log, I always like to enter the summit reference of the station worked if it is a S2S. I made 71 QSOs in this activation!

I logged onto the Database and looked at my Activator log. I clicked ‘Save to file’ at the bottom. I then edited the Excel file when it opened, to leave just the NW-044 activation, and added in the summit ref for GW4RWR/P. I then saved it as a CSV file.

On the database, I delete my NW-044 activation from 16 May, then did an Import Activator CSV for the edited version just created. It all worked, and took a total of between 2 and 3 minutes to complete. It certainly didn’t involve deleting QSOs one by one!

Hope this helps.

Tom M1EYP