Activation of Gaichtspitze, OE/TI-469

Many thanks to all chasers who worked me at the summit of Gaichtspitze, OE/TI-469. It took me 2.5h and some 900m of ascent to reach the summit through still considerable amounts of snow.

In case anyone else would like to activate this one, hurry up, it will become invalid on April 1st 2011!

A pity, because it is one of the few summits in this range of altitudes here which can be ascended during winter/early spring without major avalanche risk. Farewell Gaichtspitze, I enjoyed every minute!

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to DL4CW:

Hallo Bernhard,

ich habe schon gehört das in OE viele Gipfel wegfallen sollen.
Was ist der Grund? P100 oder P150?

VG Jörg
DG0JMB

In reply to DG0JMB:

Hallo Jörg,

P150 wenn ich das richtig sehe, es besteht also noch Hoffnung, dass der Berg eines Tages zurückkehrt.

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to DL4CW:

dann werden ja auch on OE richtig viele Gipfel wegfallen.
In DM/SX oder DM/TH haben wir das ja schon vor 2 Jahren durch.

Aber bei vielen Gipfeln war das auch gerechtfertigt.

Aber allein in SX hatten wir fast 500 Gipfel. Jetzt nur noch was über 100.
Echt schade … damit hat auch das Hobby extrem nachgelassen. Zumindest das SOTA-Hobby.

Viel Spass weiterhin und vieleicht auch mal in SSB (CW ist leider nicht meine Sprache :-))))

LG Jörg
DG0JMB

In reply to DG0JMB:

Aber allein in SX hatten wir fast 500 Gipfel. Jetzt nur noch was über
100. Echt schade … damit hat auch das Hobby extrem nachgelassen.
Zumindest das SOTA-Hobby.

Nun ja, ich kann mir schon vorstellen, dass man als Aktivierer auch gerne mal einen neuen Berg “in die Luft” bringt, und wenn die Auswahl kleiner wird, dann wird das schon schwieriger. Schade auch, wenn der jeweilige “Hausberg” nicht zählt. Aber 100 Berge (oder 40, wenn ich die Anzahl aus der Gipfelliste nehme) wollen auch erst einmal abgeklappert sein … Außerdem gibt es doch noch den Sächsischen Bergwettbewerb?

Eine kleinere Anzahl von zu aktivierenden “Objekten” ist aber auch auf jeden Fall leichter zu beherrschen, denkt mal an IOTA. Da wertet man mit gutem Grund auch nicht jeden kleinen Felsen vor der Küste. Allein in DM gibt es fast 1000 SOTA-Gipfel - fast so viele wie IOTA-Referenzen in der ganzen Welt! Trotzdem gibt es bei IOTA-Aktivierungen noch lange Schlangen, obwohl das Programm schon viel länger läuft als SOTA :wink:

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to M0CEF:

Hallo Jan-Martin,

klar! Da hast du schon recht. Aber man ist halt verwöhnt. Viele Berge in deiner Umgebung = Viel Spass.

Jetzt sind es nur noch wenige Gipfel. Man muss dann sehr weit fahren um andere Gipfel zu erreichen. Da reicht oft die Zeit oder auch das Geld nicht.
Und das ist schade. Damit reduziert sich die Teilnahme am SOTA.

Klar, es gibt auch den sächsischen Bergwettbewerb. Das ist aber für mich persönlich nicht so die Herausforderung.

Schau mal was passiert ist, nachdem in DM die Gipfel reduziert worden sind:

Echt schade. Früher konnte ich auf 2m noch Betrieb machen. Heute brauch ich das Handy nicht mal mehr mitzunehmen. Es gibt keine Cheaser mehr hier.

Aber genug gejammert! Es macht immernoch Spass und ich mach weiter.

Danke für dein Feedback.

Viele Grüße Jörg
DG0JMB

In reply to DG0JMB:

Im neuen FUNKAMATEUR steht auch schon nix mehr über SOTA, nur SBW. Das interessiert allerdings in weiten Teilen der Republik keinen Menschen …

73, Mario

In reply to DC7CCC:

Hallo Mario,

seh ich auch so. Außerdem steht das unter der Rubrik: SOTA.
Versteh ich auch nicht wirklich.Könnte man doch einen extra Absatz machen.

LG Jörg
DG0JMB

In reply to DC7CCC:

Im neuen FUNKAMATEUR steht auch schon nix mehr über SOTA, nur SBW. Das
interessiert allerdings in weiten Teilen der Republik keinen Menschen

Daß in der aktuellen Ausgabe der Funkamateur die SOTA-Spalte zugunsten des SBW rausgefallen ist, liegt wohl am 30-jährigen Jübliäum des SBW. Zugegeben für alle Nicht-Sachsen (mich eingeschlossen) ist die Teilnahme wenig praktikabel. Aber ein Blick über den Tellerrand kann auch mal nicht schaden. Nebenbei: Der Autor des Artikels, Uli DL2LTO, ist Mitglied im Management-Team SOTA-DM.

Wo ich Mario uneingeschränkt zustimmen kann: Die kompromißlose Durchsetzung von P100 (gottseidank nicht P150!) hat SOTA-DM/DL irreparablen Schaden zugefügt. Das ist allerdings schon 2009 passiert, sieht man auch deutlich an seiner Grafik. Wollen wir mal hoffen, daß es in OE nicht genauso läuft.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:
Hallo Michael!
Im jahre 2010 habe ich in Tirol 11 Gipfel aktiviert - davon wurden 7 gestrichen. Bei einem bin ich einverstanden, da steigt man am seefelder Jöchl aus der Gondel und spannt die Antenne auf. Aber wenn man schon einmal 2 Stunden aufzusteigen hat, dann ist die Streichung absoluter Blödsinn. Damit es keine Gipfelinflation gibt, könnte die Regel dahingehend geändert werden, dass eben horizontal zum nächsten Gipfel 2 km oder sonst eine Entfernung einzuhalten ist.
Die Regeln passen in den Alpen überhaupt nicht, es gibt doch 10 km und längere Bergketten, da ist so eine Kette um die 2000m hoch und da gibts auf die ganze Länge keinen SOTA Gipfel wegen der dummen starren Regel. Obwohl eine Besteigung einer kleinen Spitze darin einige Stunden Weges braucht.

Grüße auch an Jörg!

Holger OE7HPI

In reply to OE7HPI:

Holger, “der dummen starren regel” (for English readers, I think that translates best as “the stupid rigid rule”) works very well on summits both higher and lower than the alps, a local topographical accident is no reason to abandon it, and a rule that can be ignored for reasons of local convenience is no rule at all, it is anarchy.

Brian G8ADD

http://geordierussell.instone.net/Jukebox/Img/S/Sex%20Pistols%20-%20Flogging%20A%20Dead%20Horse.jpg

Edit: It wasn’t my intention to trigger a new, obsolete discussion, sorry abt that.

In reply to G8ADD:
Dear Brian,
at least in DM/BM the stupid rigid rule, as you translated Holger correctly, does not work well at all. In DM/BM challenging summits were cancelled but gently hills nearby are accepted. It is difficult to understand why DM/BM-027 with 1266 m height is not accepted but DM/BM-257 with 602 m in a distance of 28 km is. Strictly sticking to the prominence rule resulted in a dramatic loss of SOTA activity in DM in 2009. Now two years later the same thing seems to be happening to OE. I had a short look at OE/OO and saw many 10 points summits are discarded and the newly added are maximum 6 points.
So here again, the prominence rule makes summits less attractive and challenging to activators.
I wonder if this is really intended. I fully understand Bernhard, Mario and Holger and hope OE does not share the fate of DM.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:

Michael, one of the problems that they have been dealing with in OE was that a number of the summits listed did not exist, if plotted on a map some were in lakes, on the bed of rivers, on or below cols and even outside the borders of the country - in one case by hundreds of kilometres! In tracking down these non-summits and misplaced summits some previously unrecorded summits were found, so it was not all loss, but you surely agree that whatever rule is adopted, the list should be clean.

The important thing to remember about prominence, Michael, is that it has absolutely nothing to do with distance. Two P100 summits could be no more than a few hundred metres apart, such as adjacent auguilles in the Alps, or they could be tens of kilometres apart. Look at the summits in southern England, for instance, in DC, SC and SE, most of these summits are the culmination of large plateaux, and bear in mind that G uses P150 and accepts the disadvantage that this gives in the less mountainous areas. Indeed P100 was granted to Germany to “sweeten the pill” after so many non-summits had to be removed. No other country with so many summits has been allowed P100, this lower prominence is usually reserved for countries like PA so that they can participate in the program. This makes it possible in Germany to put together strings of high scoring summits with less effort than in most countries, which itself has caused complaints…understandably so.

One of the ideas behind prominence is that it makes summits more challenging, not “less attractive and challenging” as you suggest. Any mountain area is full of little bumps, minor summits on a ridge leading to a major summit that have received a name but on the ground are barely noticable. If as you seem to suggest, we were to abandon the prominence rule and make all these minor summits count for SOTA, then the ascent to each summit would become small and SOTA points would be devalued. I have to travel many kilometres to my nearest SOTA summit, but I know that when I get there it will be a real summit!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Dear Brian1
Excuse my bad english. Last year I have found the error when the summits of Tyrol where shown in adventureradio in Italy or Germany. It was a Problem from our official survey-office. All summits were really summits, but at the transfer of datas from paper to the computer the Girls who maked this have maked the errors, perhaps some years ago.
If you are one time in Innsbruck/Tyrol, I show you the mountains around and you must find out what are SOTA summits! You will be surprised! Only 1 Summits of all over 2000 m Mountains is a SOTA summit
Holger
OE7HPI

In reply to OE7HPI:

Hi, Holger, yes many errors have shown up in several Associations that arise from official lists, and with hundreds of summits to check getting them all sorted out takes time!

I am not sure what you are referring to in the Innsbruck area, there are 675 summits listed in the Tyrol and quite possibly more will be found in time, but questions about summits in any given area should be directed to the AM rather than the MT. The MT can assist and advise an AM but we have a whole planet to deal with so cannot be expected to look at every summit! :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,
just another statement from one of the inspired but rare activators here in OE7 Tyrol.
Holger is right. It is a shame what our regional manager reported to the OE assoziation manager in order to rework the summit list according to the P-150 rule. Nearly all garbage and not worth to see the real point of any sense.
The former old list was OK but this new one, that’s a bit much.

John OE7PHI

In reply to OE7PHI:

Hi, John, again I am not sure about what you are referring to, but if you think valid summits have been omitted you should list them with documentation proving their prominence and submit them to your AM. You might find the LANDSERF facility will speed up the work.

Brian G8ADD