40m poor today?

Is it just me or is 40m down a lot today? The normally strong HB9s and F stations have been very difficult copy on 40m where as Moise F5IUZ was a FB 579 on 30m.
I think I will do a few checks on my feeders and antennas just in case.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike

I find 40m to be just a fraction down on normal conditions here on the North Yorkshire coast. However there is very short skip today with UK stations 599 plus on both 40m and 30m.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:

I think you have hit the nail on the head Roy, it’s the short skip length that is the problem, you are a steady 599 when calling sota stations but I’m struggling with the EU lads.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

Space wx looks ok and there is no magnetic storm going on. So the propagation should be ok.

I made first QSO with ATS3B to Hamburg on 30 m with reports 559/559 and powers 100W/5W from OH/Kuopio. Just finished the filter boards yesterday. New rig so difficult to say anything about propagation. I have not checked the loop antenna since last summer, but it is still hanging up from the tree.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike

I can normally copy the EU stations very well on short skip here, but today they have all been very poor and Jurg was unreadable. I do have an S8 noise level so that might be part of the problem. All in all 40m has been well down here and had to rely on 30m instead.

73’s
David/G4CMQ

In reply to G4CMQ:

Thanks for that Dave, you appear to have identical conditions to me.

73 Mike