24 In 24 Challenge 2009

Does anyone know if this event is still on? It was mentioned in the Summitsbase news and was due to be this weekend I think. I was thinking of staying up late to work the team if they were active.

Richard
G3CWI

I was windering if I’d missed something, but having looked the July Summitsbase news said it was supposed to be from 0700 on 29th, the only WB I’ve heard today was Steve G7AAV/P on WB-008.

Perhaps they did not get any additional team members to join them.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:
Sounds like the drivers/chasers did’nt want to take part as they are not interested in sota any more, unless the activator’s thought b****r it. Why should i !!! Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

Maybe its worth asking the organisers before coming to conclusions

scott
2E0RCS

In reply to M3UUM:
Your right Scott, only one thing most of the organisers cant comment on here. And most members on here are not allowed on the other web-site, so it looks like we will never find out , unless Mr Brian can let up know. Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:
According to SummitsBase news it was cancelled due to lack of a volunteer driver.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M0SGB:

Coo - Mr Brian! Is that me?

I don’t often contribute to the “other place” as sooner or later whatever the thread I become subjected to a routine tirade about the supposed iniquities of the MT. Last time I looked there was no mention of the Challenge there.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Last time I looked there was no mention of the Challenge there.

The proposal to carry out the 24 in 24 Challenge 2009 was nothing to do with the “other place”. It was being organised by a group of individuals totally independently. Some people seem to be confused about that fact.

Roger is correct in that the challenge did not happen on account of the team being at least one driver short which would have significantly increased the risk factor. Health and safety was uppermost in the minds of all concerned. The actual summit activators were still up for the challenge, but in the absence of a response on the transport side, it was reluctantly decided not to go ahead. It was not announced as the arrangements were left open to the last minute in the hope that someone might come forward. Whether, in the face of rapidly rising fuel costs and the continuing trend towards un-employment, it will happen in 2010, who knows?

73 and thanks to those who were interested in the challenge.

Gerald

In reply to All:

Its not acceptable to swear on here, there are younger people using this facility, like me and Jimmy. I think it was Mike DSP that was banned for swearing, what will happen to M0SGB ?

Morgan
M3LMP
Enjoying my inset day off

Gerald,

Perhaps like me a few people assumed that because of the apparent lack of any last minute appeal for drivers or any indication to the contrary that the event was still intending to take place.

Stewart G0LGS