ZS SOTA Spring day

ZS SOTA Spring day

The Spring ZS SOTA Day will be held on Monday 25 September (a public holiday) and this is a fun day out in nature and not a competition. Each participant will receive a Spring Day certificate whether you activated or chased those activating summits.

For activators, it is fun to see if you can make summit-to-summit (S2S) contacts with other activators and how many chasers you can get in your log.

Please consider posting your activation times, so that chasers and other activators will know that you are activating a summit and at what time they must listen out for you.

If you are not on the SOTA/POTA WhatsApp group and wish to be added, please send a WhatsApp message to Sid on mobile 082 461 3279.

Please join the fun of activating a summit or chasing those who venture out.

Let’s play radio and have fun

6 Likes

…preferably by posting alerts on SOTAwatch, please, especially if you’re going to be using HF bands. :wink:

3 Likes

Alerts have been posted,

Hopefully we will have many Dx contacts

4 Likes

Hope everyone had an enjoyable day. Zip from South Africa here but managed two SOTA stations, one English (FT4) and one Swiss(CW).

Had my problems spotting due to fat fingers and dodgy phone signal in the shack.

Even with the high sun spot numbers propagation to Africa was patchy today.

2 Likes

Excellent ZS Sota Spring Day and congratulations for this initiative!
Despite unfavorable solar spot number, SOTA ZS Ham radio were there.
Great !
73 Chris F4WBN

2 Likes

I placed myself on DM/BW-018 to finally have my first ZS contact… unfortunately without success.
ZS6WAR was temporarily in CW S7 - but didn’t hear me. 2 other ZS stations could only be heard faintly. I could only guess something about the stations on the summits.

I found that there were very few spots. I would be interested to know if there was an S2S.

Otherwise the whole world was represented on 10m. I heard ZL2, YC, JA, CX, PY with good signs - I had chasers from LU and USA… the S2S on 20m with @VA2YZX on VE2/ES-016 made my day.

73 Armin

4 Likes

Hi Armin,
I’m sure I never contacted a Sota ZS or V5 station in CW. Today still all Sota ZS stations were in SSB, which is often less “easy” if we can say…
73 Chris

2 Likes

That’s interesting to know…

I also called CQ in SSB… and also had a contact to LU in SSB…

At least I was broadcasting today with 30 watts !!! :innocent: :rofl:

73 Armin

2 Likes

Yes I heard 1 or 2 times LW2DO on the side of the antenna that called the ZS stations in Sota but he was not lucky. The current propagation is not favorable to SSB contacts…this should encourage OMs to practice telegraphy a minimum, but…
73 Chris

3 Likes

It might be worth investigating propagation paths in a bit more detail. There may be opportunities like the Australia-Europe long-path one that could be used to improve chances of successful DX chases.

2 Likes

In daylight hours it looks like bands below 15 metres aren’t much good for DX from ZS to this corner of the UK at the moment…

Thanks to all the chases and activators for a fabulous day

3 Likes

@DL6GCA Armin, our S2S made my day too, i had exceptional signal from EU, usually on my QCX i only get NA, and of course F4WBN. I only work on 3 watts, so i am glad it worked out. This was a nice day here in southern VE2. TU again, 73

3 Likes

Thank you Chris, also great to get you in the log

Hi everyone, sorry for only replying now, time seems to fly, the weather did not play with on the day, and two activations were cancelled.

Here are the activators reports … enjoy.

2 Likes