Zirbitzkogel (OE/ST-027) 2019

Perfect conditions today for a 10 pointer. I opted for the Zirbitzkogel OE/ST-027 as the forecasts suggested lighter winds at this location. I got up at 05:30, as it’s an hour and a half drive to the carpark at the Waldheimhütte, which sits at about 1600m asl. The way up to the Zirbitzkogel is dead easy and only about 700m height gain. I managed it in about 1 hour 15 mins and was soon drying off over a bowl of soup and a sausage. I always ask inside if I can operate from a table outside; there is a repeater in the winter room and they are very ham friendly at this hut. I was able to set up using the rails that go round the hut and sit right at one of the tables; perfect for a 10 pointer at over 2300m:

The sky cleared and the sun came out to warm us up nicely. It is about 31°C in Graz today, but it was still about 14°C up at 2300m. I regretted not having put in the additional effort of carrying up the paraglider today, conditions were perfect for flying back down to the car.

However, I did get a nice opening to Norway on 10m, something that would not have been possible with the MTR3b and flying gear. When the weather is good, the Zirbitzkogel is a really good 10 pointer to go for.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

6 Likes

Hi Matt,
many tnx for your nice, interesting activation report with the impressive photos.
I was lucky to hear you even under the actual difficult condx.

Have a good week and cuagn soon
Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM (HB9CSA)

There was about S3-4 local noise for me on 40m, but I didn’t hear any contesting, which some people complained of. Luckily, the KX2 filters did a good job; for me at least.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt