Yorkshire 3 Peaks 1st September

HI All

I will be attempting the Yorkshire 3 peaks tomorrow, Thursday 1st Sept. The 24 mile walk has to be completed in 12 hours which is the main priority, and I will also hopefully qualify all three summits, Pen-y-ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough. I will be travelling light - just with a 2m handheld (5 watts) and quarter wave whip. I can only allow 10 minutes operating time per summit and will ask Roy G4SSH to post me on SOTAWatch 10 minutes before I arrive. Please keep the contacts as short as possible as I will need the time for the walk, which I am doing with my non-ham friend Geoff.

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Good luck, Phil.
I am off to North Wales today, may speak to you from Snowdon S2S!

73 Peter TJE+

In reply to G4OBK:

Good luck, Phil.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:
Thank’s Richard.

For Peter - I will have the radio on in between summits so will listen out for you.

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:
Hi Phil,

Will listen out for you from home if not in the Lakes as car now fixed and ready to go good luck and hope the wx is ok for you.

73s
G0VWP

In reply to G4OBK:
Good luck Phil, I will monitor the spots around your alerted times & try to catch you on at least one summit.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G4OBK:

Good luck on the Three Peaks Phil. I purposefully will not give you a call on the grounds that I don’t want to hold you up!

Richard
G3CWI

To All:

An update for those following Phil & Geoff’s progress:

Congratulations Phil & Geoff for completing the Yorkshire three peaks challenge, & Phil for successfully activating all three summits for SOTA :slight_smile:

They completed the 24 mile round trip including the summits of G/NP-010 Pen-y-ghent, G/NP-004 Whernside & G/NP-005 Ingleborough in a time of 9 hours 47 minutes. That is pretty good going by any standard, but including successful SOTA activations of all three summits, it is superb!

The weather today was sunny, with light cloud & a little breeze, which Phil commented on as being perfect. The only downside was that Geoff may have torn some ligaments in his knee during the descent from Ingleborough, if that is the case, my best wishes for a speedy return to full health Geoff.

Those of you familiar with these hills will appreciate that an ascent of Ingleborough from the Hill Inn is a strenuous climb at the best of times, but to leave that climb until after you have already climbed Pen-y-ghent & Whernside takes some committment.

Far from being hurried activations, as all chasers that called Phil did keep it brief, I am not aware of anyone being left wanting to work him through lack of time. Spotting from Roy G4SSH & Mike G4BLH was I’m sure you will agree, invaluable.

Rob, G0HRT was also out in the Northern pennine’s today, & I know that he was hoping for Summit to Summit contacts with Phil from the summits he was activating. I know for certain that he achieved S2S’s for the first two summits, but I’m not sure about the third as Phil was a good 30 minutes ahead of schedule by that point.

Did you manage all three Rob?

Today, I did my chasing from my motorcycle, on what is for me the busiest day of the month, with time off not an option. My own challenge was to work Phil on all three summits, which I did manage to do, although Phil’s early arrival on Ingleborough nearly caught me out.

Thanks to Roy G4SSH & Mike G4BLH for spotting / assistance.

But a huge thank you, & very deserved congratulations, to Phil G4OBK & Geoff (Non-licensed) for completing the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge!

They are now enjoying a good night’s rest in Settle.

Thanks & best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Many Congratulations to both Phil & Geoff on not only successfully completing the challenge but on a great time as well.

I was sneaking looks at SOTA spots throughout the day from work and so I knew you were ahead of schedule. I’m glad you got some good weather, just about perfect for walking - it looks like you got the best day of the week!

Very well done indeed!

Karen

In reply to 2E0XYL:
Well done chaps, I did it last year to raise money for our local school, as part of a group. Also managed to activate all three summits on the way. Crossing the moor on the way to Ingleborough with ‘The Wall’ in front of you is daunting! But i was ahead of a team of supposedly very fit Royal Signals guys, and there was NO way i was letting a bunch of siggies beat an old infanteer!

Sadly due to being on an endurance walk myself, sans wireless, i couldnt work you. Although i’ll sympathise with your chaps ligaments, as i battled tendonitis for 12miles!

In reply to G0VOF:

Well done Phil & Geoff and thanks for the 1 Contact Phil, pity we missed you on the others, having seen the Spot times afterwards we weren’t quite on the first and between summits on the last. We probably only missed each other by a matter of minutes.

Colin (& Liz).

In reply to G4OBK:
Fantastic achievement! 3 Peaks National Challenge next?
Congratulations to you and Geoff.

Nick G4OOE

In reply to G4OOE:

I was fortunate enough to work Phil on all three summits from my motorcycle. For the first & third summits I was truly /m but for Whernside I had nipped out in my lunchbreak to some convenient high ground. I used my video camera to record our QSO for logging later, so for anyone interested here is that video.

It shows my QSO with Phil on Whernside & also my QSO with Rob G0HRT/P on Cracoe fell. My motorcycle setup is a little basic, but it works :wink:

Thanks & 73,

Mark G0VOF

Firstly, thanks to Mark G0VOF for providing the SOTA reflector with a brief and timely report of our walk over Pen-y-ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough last Thursday. Much appreciated Mark.

We couldn’t have had a better day for the Yorkshire 3 peaks than we had last Thursday. My friend Geoff and I left Pickering at 5.15am for Horton in Ribblesdale. We took the slightly longer 90 mile route via the A170/A61/A59/A65/B6479 through Settle and were parked in the village layby at SD 811720(free parking) before 7.30am. It is worth mentioning that the public toilets in Horton are open very early in the morning but at that time have not been supplied with toilet paper. We always carry our own!

Horton to Pen-y-ghent NP-010 2.4 miles

To be eligible to join the Yorkshire 3 Peaks club administered by the Pen-y-ghent cafe, the walk needs to be completed in less than 12 hours, so after posting our log card through the door of the cafe we departed at 7.43am for Pen-y-ghent NP-010 less than 2.5 miles away. We were on the summit in less than an hour with my first CQ on 2m FM providing a surprise summit to summit contact with Rob G0HRT/P on NP-029 Sharp Haw. Further contacts with Mike G4BLH, Geoff G4CPA, Mark G0VOF/M on his motorbike, Colin G4UXH, Mike GW0DSP, Roger G4OWG and Allan G4PF were quickly completed. All operators were brief and I was very grateful for that. I was travelling light with just the VX-170 handheld, food and water. I usually carry the G3CWI Rucksack Special vertical which has served me well for five years providing almost 2000 contacts from summits. However with time being short, I decided to go for simplicity - albeit with lesser efficiency and so I used a quarter wave Diamond RH771 whip attached to the radio.

Pen-y-ghent NP-010 to Whernside NP-004 11.5 miles

This next section was the longest at 11.5 miles. Although Whernside is the highest of the 3 Yorkshire Peaks it is the easiest to climb, although it is a long old slog on the path which takes you around the north side of the mountain. Our intention was to follow the gpx track which I had downloaded from the Harold Street website, however in a few places the Yorkshire Dales National Park advises walkers with signage to keep to the main paths and we respected this. As we came down off Pen-y-ghent NP-010 we therefore stuck to the Pennine Way down to Tarn Bar at SD 823743 passing west of Hull Pot to join the path again at Todber Moss SD 824751. This is the boggy section of the walk and in several places on Todber and Black Dubb Moss we had to track around deep bogs. The footpath according to the marks left in places ran to more than 100m wide as walkers had previously tried to find the driest route across leaving their marks in the mud. We emerged at the end of it to rejoin the Pennine Way at SD 810761 unscathed, me having been down to my boot tops at one stage but just escaping with dry feet. The two young ladies we spoke to at the start (Bryony and Jess) must have struggled to get through here in their training shoes! We left the Pennine Way at Nether Lodge and joined the B6479 Gauber Road which took us to Ribblehead. We had not stopped since leaving Pen-y-ghent and were delighted to find the tea van parked at the junction with the B6255. The feisty lady who runs this provided us with a refreshing brew of tea and after a bite to eat we were off towards the viaduct with Whernside in our sights.

Approaching the top of Whernside I heard Colin 2E0XSD calling CQ from the Wainwright Summit of Brandreth - brilliant - a new one for me. We had a chat and that led me into the activation zone. I also worked Liz M6EPW on Brandreth for our first ever contact. Liz is newly licenced and came into ham radio mainly because she enjoys fell walking and operating from summits. The summit was busy but there is plenty of room. There must have been around 20 people behind the wall having their packed lunches. I took over the frequency from Colin (thanks Colin) and made quick contacts with Rob G0HRT/P S2S who had now arrived on Cracoe Fell NP-032, Colin G4UXH, Mark G0VOF/M, (who filmed the entire operation for youtube from his motorbike near Blackburn - thank’s Mark:)

Rob G4RQJ, Peter M6ANX and Mike GW0DSP. This was our lunch time stop as well so we stayed a little longer and enjoyed the sunshine.

Whernside NP-004 to Ingleborough NP-005 5.2 miles

The path off Whernside to Bruntscar has been much improved since I was last here in 2008. The steep section off the summit was becoming seriously eroded and dangerous so 100s of tons of rocks and gravel have now been put down with the path being stepped out in places. It’s less easy on the knees but safer. We were soon passing the Hill Inn on the B6255 Ingleton Road taking the footpath through the wall straight after the Hill Inn at SD 743430 77660. This is not marked as a path on my 2005 1:25000 map. We crossed the Ingleborough Nature Reserve and the enormous pot hole of Braithwaite Wife Cave at SD 743762. I had never been this way before and the size of this hole amazed me. Ingleborough from this side is a formidable climb and I was feeling it, however we reached the summit of NP-005 80 minutes after leaving the B road. Fewer contacts were made from here. With Mike G4BLH, Mark G0VOF/P, Mike GW0DSP, Roger G4OWG, Nigel 2E0NHM (Welcome back to SOTA!) and Brian G4ZRP being logged.

Ingleborough NP-005 to Horton 4.8 miles

With all 3 summits activated it was now just a matter of getting back to the Pen-y-ghent cafe. We knew it closed at 5.30pm however there is an arrangement where it is possible to obtain a logged in time when you arrive if they are already closed. The route back is straightforward once you are off the top of Ingleborough. You go via Sulber Nick avoiding the path turning off to Clapham but at this point we hit a problem. My friend Geoff jarred his left knee badly and we suspected a torn tendon. A brief rest, some Ibuprofen, Paracetamol and the use of a second walking pole and a slower pace meant he was able to continue and by the time we reached the Pen-y-ghent cafe at exactly 5.30pm in time to get a cup of tea. By then the pain had eased thanks to the tablets. We had completed the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in well under the time allowed and were very happy!

Distance walked: 24.1 miles
Ascent: 5225 ft
Time spent walking: 8 hours 42 minutes
Time stopped: 1 hour 7 minutes
Average walking speed: 2.8 mph
Overall average speed: 2.5 mph
Number of SOTA contacts made: 22 (NP-010 8 NP-004 8 NP-005 6)

Breakdown of Times:

Cafe to Pen-y-ghent = 57 minutes
NP-010 activation = 11 minutes
Pen-y-ghent to Whernside = 4 hours (12 minute rest stop at Ribblehead for tea)
NP-004 activation /lunch = 22 minutes
Whernside to Ingleborough = 2 hours 14 minutes
NP-005 activation = 13 minutes
Ingleborough to Horton Cafe = 1 hour 49 minutes

Although Karen 2E0XYL was working and we did not make a contact thank you Karen for informing me that the cafe was closed on Tuesdays, which was the day we originally intended to walk. If we had we could not have authenticated the challenge. Thursday was also far better weather wise, it was perfect for walking with good visibility. Thanks to Roy G4SSH and Mike G4BLH also for support with DAS and spotting and anyone else who spotted me. Lastly to the chasers for their brevity in the exchange of signal reports. Thank you to all for their best wishes.

73 Phil G4OBK

In reply to G4OBK:

Top stuff Phil. I watched progress on Sotawatch envious of your freedom whilst I sat in the office earning a daily crust. 24miles out in the nice weather or implementing updates to a SATA disk controller IC? I know which I’d rather be doing!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OBK:

Good job Phil, enjoyed the write up, brought back a few memories, quite amazingly your walking times for each leg matched mine to within a few minutes, so you sure weren’t hanging around.
Iain, MM3WJZ

Cheers Ian and Andy!

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:
May I add my many congratulations Phil and Geoff on achieving the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge and a SOTA activation of each summit to boot. It was great to work you on the first two S2S and I was only sorry I could not keep up with your fine pace for the third S2S from Rombald’s Moor. I did complete my activation on the TR-9130 after staying too long to enjoy Cracoe Fell.

What a great day it was all round and very well done to you on your achievement. You have my respect!
Best 73
Rob H G0HRT

In reply to G0HRT:
Hi Rob

Well done on doing those three in the day. I didn’t know you had crammed a third summit in with Rombald’s Moor.

Cracoe Fell on its own is a good walk and I’m can’t blame you for staying up there for a while - it’s a very pleasant summit.

73 Phil