Y Garn, NW-037

This is one that has been on my hit list for a while but I have never quite managed to get round to it. The forecast was good for Sunday so I set off with my daughter (Mai-Ling) at the unbelievably early time of 06:25.

First stop was the Lymm Truckstop for a big fried breakfast before setting off on the trip across Wales. A detour had to be taken when we found that the toll road at Penmaenpool was closed but we were still at the parking place by 09:35.

I didn’t fancy the routes written about by others and decided to investigate an alternative by parking at Ty’n-y-Coed (SH689202) - where there is easy parking off the road. From there we walked along paths and tracks to the edge of a felled forest at SH694216. We went up via the felled forest but later discovered a path along the western side of the forest (wall to be crossed at SH695221 - stepping stones in place). From there it’s an easy undulating walk to the summit. Pleasant.

A breeze required us to seek some shelter in the lee of the cairn but nevertheless we had a pleasant time. 9 contacts on 5MHz including 3 s2s contacts. My daughter, who is used to me being on CW, was quite interested in the contacts.

The walk back was uneventful and the drive back was broken only with a big fried tea at the excellent cafe in Bala - full of overweight middle-aged bikers. I felt quite at home!

This was the first major SOTA outing for the new car. I was pleased with over 70MPG and interested in the trip computer that shows cumulative journey cost. Thus I know that we spent significantly more money on food than on petrol.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

70mpg? Shouldn’t be allowed. Currently getting 32.5mpg and petrol is between 120.9 to 130.9p a litre!

Andy, MM0FMF/A
Isle of Raasay

In reply to G3CWI:

This was the first major SOTA outing for the new car. I was pleased
with over 70MPG and interested in the trip computer that shows
cumulative journey cost. Thus I know that we spent significantly more
money on food than on petrol.

What is your new car, Richard? I get only 41 mpg from the BMW and a meagre 28 mpg from the Landy! I’m looking to get something much more economical to replace the Beamer when I next change cars.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

70mpg… I wish… as I think about the 5L V8 Range Rover that I am just about to buy. I will be lucky to get 18mpg with the wind behind me gong downhill…

But I work on the same theory as Clarkson, the more it drinks the more fun it is…

Go job I have a company car to play with as well

Steve

PS Thanks for the parts Richard, my 3 ele is back up to spec…

In reply to G3NYY:

Walt

For cheaper SOTA activating just get one of these:
http://www.ukobd.co.uk/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&category_id=2&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=49&gclid=COq2s_Sl5aACFRUslAodHA1BHQ&vmcchk=1

Subscribe to this:

Use tips from this:

Use this to find fuel:

I would be surprised if you could not get a 20% reduction in fuel costs. You will reduce your environmental impact too.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Thanks for the info, Richard. The on-board computer in my BMW already gives all the information that is offered by the Scangauge.

The other references are useful. It seems to boils down to: “Get a smaller car”! Maybe a Citroen 2CV ?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel makes the most difference to fuel economy.

Incidentally, the 2CV was not particularly fuel-efficient compared to modern cars so don’t go that way.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel makes the most difference to fuel economy.

Presumably this fixes the steering wheel straight ahead so you take the “as the crow flies” route to your destination regardless of whether there are any roads :wink:

And I don’t believe you’ve actually told Walt what your new economic steed is Richard.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel makes the most
difference to fuel economy.

April Fool’s day was yesterday, Richard!
:wink:

Presumably this fixes the steering wheel straight ahead so you take
the “as the crow flies” route to your destination regardless
of whether there are any roads :wink:

I think he is referring to the nut on the driver’s seat, Gerald!

And I don’t believe you’ve actually told Walt what your new economic
steed is Richard.

No, he hasn’t. I’m still waiting with baited breath.

Walt (G3NYY)