WW7D / WU7H Wrong Ref Today

Sorry chasers, but we started our activation with the wrong ref!

If you logged us on W7W/CW-106 Today (28th JAN 2023) that was incorrect. We were on W7W/CW-074. The name of the summit is ‘Loser Ridge’ which I guess makes us a couple of losers!

As a consolation, here is a photo from our activation. Thanks and 73!

8 Likes

Were both of you sending the wrong one? How did you discover it before shut down? What steps do you have for the rest of us to avoid doing the same?

Elliott, K6EL

1 Like

Thanks for posting the correction. Based on the picture, I dont think anybody that goes to the trouble to do an activation in those conditions is a loser. Thanks for the activation and the correction. Easy to fix.

Joe
WB7VTY

3 Likes

Hi El, yes we were both sending the wrong ref for the first 15 mins of our activation. We were planning to do CW-106 as our 2nd summit and got them mixed up. One of us realized it when looking at a phone app. We decided to skip CW-106 for our 2nd summit and did CW-080 instead so as not to add to the confusion.

How to avoid: double check those refs! I usually write the ref in my logbook before I leave for the hike, but in this instance I did not follow my own procedure. I didn’t have any cell service and so I never opened up SOTA Goat, which would have shown me where I was.

Thanks for the S2S yesterday!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the chases Joe - always to pleasure to QSO with you!

1 Like

Wrong references happen from time to time.
Its nice to see I am not the only one that kneels while activating in the snow.

Malen
VE6VID

4 Likes

Hi Josh, I caught it on your spot correction and fixed my log. TNX QSO es hope to catch you both again soon!

73 de Jonathan “JB”

2 Likes

Hey, Gents.
Nice try at “snowing” us, hi!
Sh, er, stuff happens while trying to keep one’s brain warm in winter.
Great to work you both.
72, David N6AN

2 Likes

Hi Josh,
Great picture! You and DJ look like WA mountain men :grinning:. I used to live in the greater Seattle area back in the late 90’s. I loved the Cascades. Good to see you’re getting snow…here in Colorado we are having a good snow year so far. It’s 9 deg F at my home QTH as I write this. Good luck to both of you and thanks for all the SOTA contacts through the years OM!

73, Brad
WA6MM

2 Likes

The summit I logged was little muffin W7W/CW-080 straight from your Spot. I will fix my end not often I make U.S. ops. Seems to be confusion on this post as well so is it CW-074 or CW-080
vk5cz …

2 Likes

You have it right - CW-080 was our 2nd summit. The problem was with our first summit.

Thanks for the DX QSO!

3 Likes

Tnx fer 2x s2s!

Logged to database with corrected reference.

Fun pic!

Drew
n7da

2 Likes

Not to make you feel bad (I have had the wrong reference myself) but one of the great things about the SOTA Goat app, at least on iOS, is that it doesn’t require cell service - just update the database before you go.

EDIT: obviously it does require cell service for live spots but the summit database is stored on the phone, so it can tell you what summit you are on or if you are in the activation zone (with some margin of error)

2 Likes

Yep, I’m well aware of that. I thought I had the correct ref and since I had no data service there was no reason to mess with my phone. =)

3 Likes

Nice to S2S with both of you.

My CW head copy needs work so that I understand you are telling me to standby for WW7D :slight_smile:

VE7ESE

2 Likes