Wrong ref GM/CS-030 today - MM6BWA

MM6BWA/P Sorry everyone (well, about 6 people and many of them are not apparently SOTA chasers,) I managed to give out the wrong reference for a very long time. I was not CS-050 but a bit higher on
GM/CS-030 Carn a Gheoidh (you can see why I wasn’t attempting the name of the summit!}. My apologies for the error caused by my poor handwriting - and perhaps lack of oxygen to the brain as I was at 975m - the first Munro for many many years. I think my comments that I was West of Glenshee was probably a clue to where I was but the correct reference would have been helpful. Thanks to those who alerted me to the problem. More comments will appear on the GM SI-land Mull and Pitlochry - 2m fm?? thread in due course. Just a quick comment that any 2m fm contacts are hard work in this part of the world and after 30+ mins of trying I never did get my 4th 70cm contact from today’s summit but we enjoyed the flowers but not the walk up The Cairnwell in the drizzle and rain we had for 3 hrs despite the super forecast - but this is Scotland!
73 Viki M6BW

3 Likes

Roughly Carn a Yowee (as in wow-ee) I understand :grinning:. Sorry you didn’t get the 4th 70cm contact but you were being clearly heard 50 miles away in central Scotland. Good effort. Many more Munros to come for you, I hope. 73 Mike

1 Like

Now that I think about it, I heard you say 050. However, I was in so much distress due to my working conditions it didn’t register at the time. My log is accurate though. I was using VK Port-a-log and when I clicked on your spot, it pre-populated the logging page with your correct information.

Well done for getting up there!

3 Likes

Nice to work you, Rod (& Fraser) today on my 1st GM activation. A pity 70cm didn’t work for you- a few crackles heard by me on 433.450/475, that’s all. I had my roll-up Slim Jim at 5m high, but no good. I agree that 2m seems to be a bit of a desert up here, with the great majority of QSOs on hf.
I had 3 incomplete QSOs, 2 /M @ Aviemore & Dunrobin & a GM4 who could barely hear me, so no point today, but at least my activation is now in the database. 73 John

3 Likes

That’s my experience. I’ve only easily qualified the higher ES summits on 2m and that’s when there’s a path to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Weekends are better.

Thanks for persevering with me today John. I’d actually moved as close to the transmitter tower as possible, downslope from its base, with a building in the way and a wire fence between me and the tower. I still had the antenna up the pole though. After I worked you I dropped it until its base was touching the ground. Only then could I hear Viki.

Every day is a school day!

2 Likes

Good stuff, Fraser. Sorry to hear your QRM problems. Thanks again for the S2S & I hope we will speak again sometime, perhaps via hf.
73 John

1 Like

The correct pronounciation can be heard on the Walkhighlands website. Its a difficult one for Sassanachs like me, the gh is sort of aspirated and the e actually sounds before the o so it is nearer to Hyeowee. I remember reading somewhere a Gaelic scholar said that “Gaelic is an easy language to learn, it sounds just like it is spelled!” :astonished:

1 Like

PS-talk about ‘every day a school day’-I was halfway back down the hill when I remembered that I hadn’t spotted myself! I was too busy setting up & chasing you & Viki & I forgot.
Memo to self-if possible, Spot on arrival & before setting up, even if it’s a general ‘qrv in 5 mins’ sort of thing, so at least potential chasers know I’m just about to call.

2 Likes

M6BWA Sorry to hear about your mast problems today Fraser. I wondered why you didn’t reply when I answered your call and asked for a s2s. I should have guessed as that has been a very common problem for me as I use a VX7 and they are notorious - and there are many more masts in the areas I usually work. M0JLA made me a 2m helical filter which worked well but was a bit bulky so I was delighted when Sotabeams came up with a very small 2m filter which I now carry all the time as it is so light. I had to use it on Mt Blair GM/ES-035 the other day as I was directly under the mast and I still got only 4 2m contacts (but that is like winning the pools round here!). The 5 (yes FIVE) 70cm were made with the filter removed of course but interference is now heard quite commonly on this band nowadays. I await the production of A 70cm filter! Thanks for making the effort to have a s2s - and for solving the problem.
Viki MBWA

2 Likes

Hi Mike - sorry we kdidn’t have a qso today. That nasty 4-letter word w-o-r-k gets in the way sometimes! Or used to in my case! Hopefully we’ll speak one day.
73 John.

2 Likes

@G0MHF Was a shame not to be able to work you yesterday, John. It was frustrating for me being over the hill (in the geographical sense only… :rofl:) with no take-off to the north-east. Hope you had a good trip though. Haste ye back for more GM activations soon. 73 Mike

2 Likes

It was certainly a challenge for me when I studied it many years ago. Some rules are easy, such as “BH” being pronounced “V” but the Gaelic word “air” (roughly meaning “on”) is pronounced “ith” in some places and “irr” in others. Therefore, a native speaker knows instantly where you or your teacher came from, with historical inter-island rivalry soon coming to the fore!!! And there are only 22 letters in the alphabet! It’s grand when spoken properly, though, so full marks to anyone using the likes of WalkHighlands to give it a go when on our GM summits :smiley:

1 Like

Except when it isn’t?

For example, the Dubhs Ridge on Skye. I’ve heard dubbs and duvvs but isn’t it just duu?

Good point. Aspects of the grammar depend on where the letters occur in a word or sentence. I never really mastered the language so it’s advisable for me to stay silent and be thought an idiot than to open my mouth and remove all doubt……. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s all right, I’ve operated in Switzerland many times so I don’t know why I have started giving my call as HB/M0FMF/P instead of HB9/M0FMF/P :frowning:

1 Like

We used to say “doing the dubhs” (sounding “doing the doos”) but I think we got that from the SMC climbing guidebook, 1969 edition. Frankly, on paper Gaelic is infuriating, but it sounds lovely.

1 Like

Thanks Mike! Home tomorrow sadly, but an enjoyable 2 weeks west of Aberdeen has been had.

1 Like

They are available but at about double the cost of the Sotabeams 2M one

1 Like