Wow I'm Amazed

I’m sorry fror putting this on but I have just had a sota contact namely AC3B Jim in USA I can’t believe it.
Thanks ever so much for the 57 report Jim and Best 73s

6 Likes

Congrats!!
Tell us about your setup, band and summit…
73!

Well I was chasing from home Roberto where I have the yaesu FT991A with 140 foot end fed long wire with a 49:1 balun about 15 feet in the air and running 10 watts so nothing special bu7t I do seem to get out well from this location.

best 73s

3 Likes

Indeed you do.
I also chased him with my 3 elements yagi on 20m up 15m above the ground and 100W PEP, but he only gave me a 22 report…
Congrats for the DX chase!

Guru

1 Like

Allen @2E0AGB congrat’s
I’ve a question about your EFHW antenna, what is the orientation of the wire ? May be east west !
73 Éric

Well done, I have been chasing SOTA since 2016, and have yet to hear / work anything outside of Europe !!

Hi Eric… Sorry I couldn’t tell you mate. I would think it’s north west direction though as because the garden is a communal one I have it fastened between washing line posts ( with extension poles on ) from the house to a distant one, but thinking about where the cities are etc. I would think it is north west.

Well done Guru was that today round about the 13:30 mark ? was on 20metres for me and I don’t usually do well on that band.

Best 73 mate

My chase took place about 50 minutes earlier than the time you mention.
imagen
It seemed to me like he wasn’t having a clear copy at that time, because I was copying him well but he only gave me a 22 and I needed 2 or 3 repeats until he managed to copy my callsign. At the same time, there was EA1DHB calling Jim, but he wasn’t apparently able to pull his callsign out of the noise.

Guru

Lucky [edit without further notice by an MT member]! :+1: I could not even hear his signal in the noise on the vertical at my /a QTH in DM/TH.

Ahoi
Pom

Well done Allen, I’ve not managed any DX chasing from home, but just in the process of upgrading my station; so fingers crossed. Love the picture of your bike on QRZ and also envious of the antenna mast pictured :grin:

Allen nice goal. your efhw works fine and your qth has a good take off. I never chased a transatlantic sota even in QRO.

I couldn’t hear anything at all from Jim here in EA8, l did however hear one of his chasers saying he lived 20 miles from Dallas. This year has been my most disappointing as far as propagation is concerned from EA8 :cry::cry::cry:

Hi Pom,
A bit more “luck” for me this afternoon-evening.
imagen

Verticals pick up so much noise that result pretty useless to hear weak signals in urban environments.

What you may see as “luck” is the result of:

• purchase of a house in a small village in 1997.
  • setting up of a 5 elements tribander yagi in a tower 15m a.g.l. in 2013.
  • after having left that house in 2016 to live in a rental appartment in the city, setting up a remote station in 2018 to be able to keep using the antennas and radios in the low noise environment of the small village from the rental appartment. Actually, from anywhere as long as there’s an internet wifi available.

Investments, when well made, do pay off…

Guru

1 Like

Thanks Andy alas due to ill health I no longer have the love of my life (bike) and emley moor mast is only 2 miles across from me , but if only they would allow me to put a beam on top ofr it…oh what joy lol

1 Like

Well done, Allen. Also thanks for the rather less impressive contact with me on GW/MW-009 around noon today.
Rod

Thanks Rod you know I am so sorry for our contact being so short this time as you usually really boom through to me no matter where you are but today alas it was so noisy…All the best to your lass mate as I really wanted to say hi to her too.

73 mate

I felt the same way, Pom I didn’t hear anything from him on my qrm free summit. But for that CS7AMX on his two activations
73 Chris

Time will come, Chris, when we’ll be able again to have qso TH <> NS on 40 m. :partying_face:
Didn’t hear anything from you yesterday.

Ahoi
Pom

Hi Pom, during some activations from Griesberg and Hammersteinshöhe I was able to hear my SSB signal on the 10m band well via the WEBSDR of the Wasserkuppe. There were no special conditions.

Maybe we should try 10m.

73 Chris