World's highest SOTA: Aconcagua LUM/PH-001 by LU9MZO on 10/01/2022

Let me post this latest news I’ve just got by email and from Facebook.
The original article in Spanish by Carlos Almirón LU7DSY:

10th OF JANUARY 2022, A DAY IN THE HISTORY OF SOTA ARGENTINA: DIEGO LIZARRAGA LU9MZO REACHED ACONCAGUA’S SUMMIT TAKING 1000 METERS FURTHER HIS OWN RECORD ON HF.
HE OPERATED ONE HOUR AND A HALF FROM THE SUMMIT AT 6961 METERS A.S.L.
DIEGO’S FIRST PHOTO RIGHT AFTER COMPLETING THE ASCENT.

→ 10 DE ENERO 2022 DIA HISTORICO PARA SOTA ARGENTINA: DIEGO LIZARRAGA LU9MZO HIZO CUMBRE EN EL ACONCAGUA
SUPERANDO EN MIL METROS SU REGISTRO MUNDIAL EN HF.
OPERÓ UNA HORA Y MEDIA DESDE LA CIMA DE 6961 MSNM
LA PRIMERA FOTO DE DIEGO TRAS CONCRETAR EL ASCENSO

Diego Lizarraga LU9MZO made history. At 13h00 LU (16h00 utc) of Monday 10th, he reached America’s colossus summit, Mt. Aconcagua (6961 m high) (the scoop photo shows him at the summit in this historic moment)
→ Diego Lizarraga LU9MZO hizo historia. A las 13.00 LU (16.00 UTC) del lunes 10 de enero alcanzó la cima del coloso de América, el cerro Aconcagua de 6961 metros de altura (la foto primicia lo muestra en la cima en ese histórico momento).

Diego operated from the summit with his callsign LU9MZO/M on HF 7.200 MHz 40m SSB, on VHF 146.520 MHz and UHF 432.500 MHz, using an inverted vee dipole with a 5.5m long telescopic fishing rod and a Xiegu X1M rig, which was a gift from his mentor José Moharraui LU5MDT and used for the first time in Aconcagua at 5W with a Lithium battery. He also used H.H. for VHF and UHF.
→ Diego operó desde la cumbre con su licencia LU9MZO/M en HF en SSB en la banda de 40 metros en 7,200 MHz, en 146,520 MHz en VHF y en 432,500 en UHF, utilizando una antena dipolo V invertida con un mástil de caña de pescar de 5,5 metros y rig Xiegu X1M, regalo de su padrino de radio José Moharraui LU5MDT, que estrenó en el Aconcagua, con batería de litio de 5 w, y handys para VHF y UHF.

He beat his own SOTA height World record by 1012 m, which he had since Sunday, November 21st, 2021, when he beat his own record operating HF and VHF from the summit of Cerro Plata (5949m a.s.l.)
→ Superó su propio record mundial de altura del programa SOTA en 1012 metros, que había conseguido el domingo 21 de noviembre de 2021, cuando batió su propia marca operando en HF y VHF desde la cumbre del Cerro Plata de 5949 msnm.

Since Noon LU (15h00 utc), a numerous group of colleagues remained QAP from several parts of the Argentina and neighbouring countries, mainly on 40m band SSB, awaiting Diego’s voice calling from the very top of America.
–>Desde el mediodía LU, (15 UTC), un nutrido grupo de colegas estuvo QAP desde gran parte de la Argentina y países limítrofes, principalmente en la banda de 40 metros fonía, esperando la voz de Diego llamando desde lo más alto de América.

At 13h07 LU (16h07 utc) SUMMIIIIIT was heard, it was Diego, excited with his “mochiSOTA” SOTApack ready as portable station to start calling on 7.200 MHz. Enthusiastic Chilean colleagues from The Andes activations group CB2R responded immediately.
→ A las 13.07 LU (16:07 UTC) se escuchó CUMBREEEEE, era Diego emocionado con su mochisota ya preparada como estación de campaña para comenzar a llamar en 7200 MHz. Entusiastas colegas chilenos del grupo de activaciones CB2R de Los Andes respondieron de inmediato.

One of the very first contacts from Argentina, at 16h12 utc was Horacio Bollati LU1MHC, with whom he holds a special affection, since he was his instructor at the Cuyo Radio Club when he had his training to become ham radio.
–>Uno de los primeros contactos desde Argentina, a las 16.12 UTC fue con Horacio Bollati LU1MHC, quien fue su instrtuctor en el Cuyo Radio Club cuando hizo el curso de ingreso a la radioafición, y por quien guarda un especial aprecio.

It also was emotional the QSO with Alejandro Weber LU1MAW, the Argentina Mendoza SOTA Association Manager, who in the previous days was an essential radial support with all the WX news.
–>También fue emotivo el QSO con Alejandro Weber LU1MAW, el representante de SOTA Argentina Mendoza, quien en los días previos fue el soporte radial con todas las novedades meteorológicas.

A pileup gathered rapidly while Diego recorded with his phone all the QSOs, the only possible way to log at the summit.
–>Rápidamente se formó un pile up mientras Diego grababa en su celular todos los contactos, única manera posible de llevar el log desde la cumbre.

Stations from Córdoba, Santiago del Estero, Santa Fe, Buenos Aires, San Luis, San Juan, Mendoza and Chile among others were heard. We will see the full log of this historical activation within the next hours.
–>Se escucharon estaciones de Córdoba, Santiago del Estero, Santa Fe, Buenos Aires, San Luis, San Juan Mendoza y Chile entre otras. El log completo de la histórica activación lo vamos a conocer en las próximas horas.

At one point he operated calling simultaneously on HF and VHF, extending the activity over 90 minutes, time at which he decided then to start descent leaving his name written on SOTA’s history.
–>En un momento operó llamando en simultaneo en HF y VHF, prolongando la actividad durante 90 minutos, cuando decidió, dada la hora, iniciar el descenso, dejando su nombre en la historia de SOTA.

Without getting to steam up this great moment, unfortunately there were people with license, to whom we can’t even call colleagues, without the minimal basic knowledge and skills to behave in a pile up.
–>Sin llegar e empañar este gran acontecimiento, lamentablemente hubo personas con licencia, que no podemos llamar colegas, sin la mínima preparación para manejarse dentro de un pile up.

They weren’t copying Diego but they were responding 5-9 and others fully out of place with political comments generating discussions on the frequency. The formers should learn first and the latters dedicate themselves to other things.
–>No escuchaban a Diego y respondían con 5-9, y otros desubicados con comentarios políticos, generando discusiones sobre la misma frecuencia. Unos deberían aprender primero y los otros dedicarse a otra cosa.

<====================================================>

Note from the reporter and translator for this Reflector (EA2IF): Mi deepest congratulation to Diego LU9MZO. Also my gratefulness to Alejandro LU1MAW for the help and support provided to Diego. Thanks also to Carlos Almirón LU7DSY for his report and to Emiliano LW6EGE for having sent it to me.
–>Nota del informador y traductor para este Reflector (EA2IF): Mi más profunda enhorabuena a Diego LU9MZO. También mi agradecimiento a Alejandro LU1MAW por la ayuda y soporte proporcionadas a Diego. Gracias también a Carlos Almirón LU7DSY por su relato y a Emiliano LW6EGE por hacérmelo llegar.

Guru

38 Likes

… simply amazing! I wonder how it feels to play radio at such an altitude for so long :crazy_face:

73, Roman

one thing is for sure, the SOTA score (10p) is in this case not adequate to the sacrifice of the operator … full respect. leszek

5 Likes

El 30 de Diciembre de 2021 estuve chateando con Diego y en ese momento me pasó el plan del ascenso. El plan original superaba los 12 días para hacer cumbre, él lo logró en 8 días!!!
A esto hay que sumarle (si observan su log se darán cuenta) que en los 3 meses previos a esta activación, Diego hizo 5 activaciones por arriba de los 4000 y 5000 metros. Simplemente un fuera de serie!

Sorry deleted

Enhorabuena a Diego por este gran logro y sin duda único en la historia de Sota. ¡Todo lo mejor para el camino hacia el valle y buena suerte!
Pablo, DL6FBK

Realmente IMPRESIONANTE !!. Enhorabuena por el logro y por el hito que supone esta activación. Y más siendo en HF!!. Mi más cordial felicitación.
Antonio, EA4MY

Congratulations to Diego! But as it is something impossible for the most of us, should be given speciale points for these cases like this one. 2,000m=10 points, 4,000m=20 points, 6,000m=30 points e.c.t. I believe it is very fair and spuare.

With respect
73, Christos.

2 Likes

Dear Diego,

Chapeu bas !!!
This is very significant achievement.
You are hero !!!

I personally have very good memories connected with this summit:

1. in January 2017 my son Paul reached the summit of Aconcagua (with no radio activity)

2. in February 2019 SOTA SP member Tom SQ9FVE activated Aconcagua for the first time ever

I am very proud and congratulate all activators of this the highest SOTA summit, I will keep fingers crossed for all of you and chapeau bas in advance to all of you !!!

73, Jarek

8 Likes

The English translation plus a final note from me are now available on the original post.
Enjoy!

Guru

7 Likes

Felicitaciones Diego!! Sin duda quedaras en la historia de SOTA.
Buen descenso, muchas gracias por llevar la radio a lo mas alto de América.
73 de LW5EKD / EA4HFK

Big congrats to Diego. This is indeed an amazing feat. And staying one and a half hour on the summit at that elevation, to satisfy all the chasers, it really speaks of the character. Hats off!

73, Csaba

Amazing achievement, Diego LU9MZO! Congrats! 73 de Rumen LZ2AF