World Heritage - Slate and SOTA

Tirwedd Llechi Gogledd Orllewin Cymru / The Slate Landscape of Northwest Wales

Yesterday it was announced that the bid for assigning World Heritage status to slate quarrying areas of Eryri / Snowdonia was successful. This means that the area is acknowledged as an important cultural landscape. In the 19th century these quarries “roofed the world”.

Here is the official Web site:

https://www.llechi.cymru/

Of course I mention it here because you can enjoy the heritage whilst also enjoying a SOTA activation or two. Here’s their map, but with the SOTAs added:

Base map ©Crown copyright 2021 Ordnance Survey. Media 018/21

You’ll note a lot of linear features, which are of course the pioneering railways, serving to export slate from the quarries, such as the Ffestiniog (GW/NW-016 and GW/NW-025 - cross over the remains of Rhosydd and Cwmorthin quarries and more besides) and, to the south, the Talyllyn serving Bryn-Eglwys quarry (GW/NW-033 and GW/NW-036).

Two of my favourites are actually the Prince of Wales and Gorseddau quarries. These sit either side of Moel Hebog (GW/NW-014) towards, respectively, GW/NW-024 and GW/NW-045.

Among the many good video presentations for the heritage bid is this one for that area:

If you’ve activated in GW/NW you’ve likely tripped over bits of heritage already. I hope the new status will improve access, aid interpretation and help preserve the artefacts. They are so full of history – the industry, its effect on the rural landscape, the people, especially the workers at the command of the aristocratic owners.

18 Likes

I admire the satire of UNESCO…remove Liverpool’s status, and replace with a series of spoil heaps. :grinning:

1 Like

Their mission is to preserve heritage. There is loads of development on the Liverpool waterfront and if you look at photos showing changes over the past 20 years you can see that the UNESCO committee have a point.

Maybe Liverpool Council stopped sending the brown envelopes to the UNESCO committee ?

1 Like