With regret I am giving up chasing due to possible VDSL

Did you miss a trick there?
Could you have got them to disconnect it at the far end, then you could’ve got yourself an end fed antenna a decent height off the ground?

1 Like

Nice one!

Actually they didn’t even climb the poles. They removed it from my house, cut it short and taped the cut end to the intermediate pole at about head height. I wouldn’t be surprised if it still had dial tone on it, albeit with no service.

Martyn

That would depend whether or not they redeployed the line card at the exchange end. But probably not as they must have boxes of unused ones from customers who migrated to FTTP.

OpenReach and ZZooMM were apparently having a race to fit fibre here. All underground until the distribution pole - then overhead, joining all the existing copper. ZZooMM do not seem to have had enough subscribers - we get a letter about monthly suggesting that we are missing out. Our fibre to the cabinet seems quite fast enough BUT:-
Most of the time 80m above 3.52 MHz is s9 noise. I prepared to investigate and did not even leave the house as the wire through the front porch was apparently responsible :unamused:

My battery charger is s9 over the 40m band and something wipes the whole of 20m from time to time. Not inconvenient enough to be worth investigating yet but not tamed at all by the twin aerial device.
Rod

2 Likes

Possibly. However, my gut feeling is that it’s simply cheaper to use the existing poles and string the fibre overhead, especially as we’re at the end of the line…

Same here. Looks a bit like they’re digging trenches to bury fibre only where they absolutely have to, and stringing fibre between existing poles where they can. The next road over has more buried fibre than the one I’m on, but it also has a fair bit of overhead electricity cabling, which probably makes working on the telephone poles a little trickier…

Havn’t had anything from GigaClear in quite a while.

RF noise here is a whole lot lower than it used to be when I lived south east of London. It helps that my antennas are as far from the houses around here as I could get them. I think it also helps that I’m quite a way from the *DSL cabinet, though *DSL will only sync at about 30 down and 6.5 up as a result of the line length. Back in the south east, the cabinet was on the street no more than 20 yards from my house, and the *DSL interference there was pretty grim.

3 Likes

Hi Rod,
That seems to be the FTTC “Fibre to the cabinet” option that we’ve had here in the village for the last eight years or so. Luckily here all copper telephone cables have been underground for the last thirty years or more. We were supposed to have FTTH (Fibre to the Home) 2-3 years ago but COVID messed that up and we are still waiting - I “ought” to get it by April on the latest prediction. At the moment I have a Hybrid modem with LTE (4G) and ADSL. It all went VOIP on that system about 4 years ago.
So even with VDSL for the run from the road to houses, I’ve been lucky here, that the underground cables have not raised the noise floor.
73 Ed.

2 Likes

You’re no doubt joking although it’s a nice idea.

On my road the overhead AC mains cables run just above the telephone cables on the same poles. I understand that Power Line Communications (PLC) digital data is sent through the mains and the coupling between the two sets of cables must be very high, leading to awful RFI on HF.

1 Like

A few years ago I sorted out a few noisy power supplies in the house. For a while I didn’t operate from home much and then started to try chasing but found it incredibly difficult due to the noise levels. Then I discovered that the printer in the office/shack was responsible for a lot of the noise. I must have bought it after originally checking for noise sources in the house. So it’s well worth checking - someone else in the house might have got a new phone charger or similar that’s really noisy. Or perhaps a device has just started making noise.

I don’t think the noise here is too bad, but I generally only chase on 20m as the noise is higher on other bands. We have Virgin fibre and Openreach lines are underground so VDSL isn’t too bad. The neighbours have had solar panels fitted but they don’t appear to be noisy. One future project is to try a receive antenna down the garden to see if it helps. But my main operating is as a SOTA activator where the noise is usually so low I’m not sure if the receiver is working!

1 Like

I measured the (high) background noise on all bands 160m to 6m in my outside shack. Then I cut the AC power to the entire house and did the measurements again with the FT857 powered by battery. No change to the readings. So, my household devices and circuits weren’t to blame.

I walked around the house, the street and near my neighbours’ houses listening to a Sony MW/SW radio tuned to a blank AM-mode MW frequency, and the noise peaked standing under the overhead power & telephone lines and went up dramatically standing next to the telegraph pole fronting my property.

After suffering a continuous 4s cyclic clicking sound on 6m I drove round the village then out into rural countryside and into the next village listening to my FT817 on 6m SSB with 6m whip on car roof. Weird noises heard anywhere near houses or overhead cables but completely quiet away from both.

1 Like

Electric fence?

Hah! The nearest one is at least 500m away (as the crow flies) and is rarely on (even when the cows are there). In any case, I read that the pulse repetition rate is normally about 1s. I also read, In normal operation, where the system is properly earthed, an electric fence should not cause interference to television or radio reception.

1 Like