Wire on the rocks

Some time ago I thought about a good summit antenna for 80 m. For good results with 5 W and SSB it should be a full size half wave dipole. But how to bring it high enough up over ground on a summit without a tree or a tower and without long poles?
I remembered a thread (or two?) about a situation with the antenna on the rocky ground by accident and nonetheless good reports.
My decision was to make a test on Munt Pers HB/GR-049 during my Holidays 2021.

Starting in the morning by car and crossing …

… Julier Pass I came to the place …

… in front of Bernina group.

The first ropeway this morning brought me 850 m up to …

… Diavolezza, Munt Pers straight ahead.

Then it was a short hike over about 2 km and 200 m ascend.

on the way up, a hiker in opposite direction

looking down on Boval hut, 700 m lower

the summit

I used a thin and isolated wire (yellow on the rocks).

The connection to the tuner ZM-4 was made via two CMC (aka currant balun) in series. (A single CMC was not good enough for 80 m). By the way, a good place to “store” smaller parts for eternity.

Start calling 8:30 UTC I made 3 QSO in SSB on 80 m (IW3 S2S, HB9, DL). After CQ for a while I switched to 40 m. Now the antenna was Lambda long. The Tuner ZM-4 is good for a wide range of impedances. 8 contacts on 40 m in SSB and 7 contacts in CW, fine.

In the end, …

… using the 6 m vertical, 10 QSO on 20 m SSB made the day.

The dipole was usable on 80 m and better on 40 m. It was a test.

73, Ludwig

18 Likes

I know the operator manual for the British army clansman 320 radio includes this option for its dipole operation. It’s not the optimum option but it does recommends a 1m height over a rock.

3 Likes

I used a short (3m) handheld pole with my roll up 2m J-pole on yesterday’s activation. Struggling to stop the wind blowing my logbook away whilst holding the 2m FM HT and pencil several strong stations came back to my CQ. Then I realised the j-pole / pole was still lying on the ground. I’m amazed it worked at all. Must be that highly conductive heather we have around here.

5 Likes

Great Photos… Be Safe climbing and Best 73,
Ronny KG7A

1 Like