Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Winter Hill G/SP-010 Gate

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there is new locked gate at the start of the road up to Winter Hill. You cannot now drive up to the cattle grid parking area.
It’s a tedious slog now ! There is a security camera at the gate.

3 Likes

This is a good reason why the over 75s should not pay a TV license fee. The BBC has reduced it failities for the over 75s. Previously as you got older and could not walk to the summit you could drive to BBC sites for a nice hill top view and eat your sandwiches in the car plus a bit of radio.

Andrew G4VFL (under 75 with no TV so has no personal axe to grind)

3 Likes

No such thing as BBC transmitter sites. They were sold off a long time back, over 25 years IIRC so it’s nothing to do with the BBC any more. Complain to Arqiva.

2 Likes

Fire risk is the reason you cannot drive up, disposable instant barbecues are the main concern.
They pose a high risk of setting the moors on fire.

1 Like

In terms of HF radio, Winter Hill has a poor take-off…Too flat at the top. Even during the good HF conditions, I never managed more than 8 VK contacts during an activation off Winter Hill.

Having said this, a couple years ago, I worked 4 ZL’s during an early morning activation of this summit. One on 40m ssb and three on 20m ssb.

I reckon you’re far better off saving your energy and taking an easy 15 minute walk up the nearby G/SP-017 Billinge Hill. Amazing little summit.

YYY

1 Like

Barbecues ?