Winter Bonus

Hi,

A quick question: What is the start date of the winter bonus period?

Thanks,

Rick M1RAL

Hi Rick,

The winter bonus period start date is 1st December 2011.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Due to the effects of climate change I vote we move it to July & August ;0)

In reply to M3EYP:

The winter bonus period start date is 1st December 2011.

Not in VP8!

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GW7AAV:

Due to the effects of climate change I vote we move it to July &
August ;0)

With a second day of mild misty mizzle and more of it forecast, and me with a place booked in the Oread MC hut at Rhyd Ddu for the weekend, I vote for it to start in November! Snow and ice merely puts me into my element, it takes real resolution for me to head out up the hill in wet clag!

Brian G8ADD

And if I’m correct the Winter Bonus would run through until sometime in March?

Im reply to M1RAL:

Drop me an email Rick, would be nice to play out and I owe you a mountain or two.

73 Chris M0RSF

Winter bonus dates are individual to each association, and can be found in the Association Reference Manuals via http://www.sota.org.uk

For many European associations, including G, GW, GD, GM and GI, the dates are indeed 1st December through 15th March.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Thanks Jimmy!

In reply to M0RSF:
Sounds good Chris. Hope you’re well!

In reply to M1EYP:
“1 November to 29 February inclusive”.
Thats just wrong because the winter lasts to may in northern Finland… even the rivers are still frozen in may.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

“1 November to 29 February inclusive”.
Thats just wrong because the winter lasts to may in northern
Finland… even the rivers are still frozen in may.

Hi Jani,

That is my fault. Since we have so long winter there I thought that we could use the sun light instead of temperature as a criteria for the winter bonus season. From March 1st the days become longer very fast north of the arctic circle. November and December without snow are also quite dark months. This year the weather in Finland is still quite mild even if we are already in the winter bonus season.

Last New Year weekend I did two activations around Yllas. There was only one hour difference between the local sun rise and set times. The day light period was about 4 hours however. But of course you know these better since you live there while I am only visiting the area.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

…Since we have so long winter there I thought that we
could use the sun light instead of temperature as a criteria for the
winter bonus season. From March 1st the days become longer very fast
north of the arctic circle. November and December without snow are
also quite dark months. This year the weather in Finland is still
quite mild even if we are already in the winter bonus season…

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Yes it’s actually quite hard to decide the winter months, the winter is about 5 months long looking at the temperatures.

Jani OH9FZU