Who modified my log?

I noticed today that there are three entries in my Chaser log that I did not upload. They are not S2S. The station I worked and the summit are correct. They do not correspond with my actual contacts for time or mode. The station worked (VK3CAT/p) has not uploaded his log as of the time I looked at the logs…

So how could this have happened?

I did spot the station but these are not the times or modes in the log. I had used Sotlas and other maps to examine the summit.

Could I have unknowingly uploaded phantom contacts via a map?

Am I having some Senior Moments?

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Ron, the database experts will find it easier to sort out your problem if you can tell them the actual entries that they need to look at.

1 Like

There could be many valid reasons Ron. User error, senior moment etc. But the first thing you can do is go and change your SSO password.

I looked at your account and did you mean to set it to use Italian? Secondly the only sessions active are for an Australian IP address.

To change your password, got to Sotawatch and click your user name top right.then click update account. On the next page there is a list of options on the left one of which is Password. Click at and update your password. Don’t forget to click save. Once you have done this there is a back to sotawatch in white on black at the top of the screen. Click that. Oh, and don’t forget you have a new password!

1 Like

I think I might know the answer! And I think I’m surprised that my MT colleagues above haven’t worked it out… :smiley:

On the Spots display, you will see three icons to the immediate right of the summit reference. The first of these is “Log spot” - essentially a shortcut for logging chases for the most active chasers - you know, the “professional” chasers that are in the shack all day with SOTAwatch running … :wink:

Maybe you clicked that without realising that what it does is submit a chaser entry to the your own chaser log on the Database? Or maybe you were hovering around SOTAwatch and inadvertently clicked it without realising? It might explain the mode thing, as the form is prefilled with the mode spotted at that time. It might explain the time thing, as the form is prefilled with the time you clicked, not necessarily the time of any QSO that did or indeed didn’t take place!

Solved?

5 Likes

You have to click Submit on the subsequent Log Chase dialogue so that would be a very senior moment.

1 Like

If you think there is a chance there has been a security breach, you change passwords first and analyse second. I’m generally of the opinion it was inadvertent user actions but password change first.

3 Likes

…if you knew what it did. But perhaps not if you thought it was spotting, as opposed to logging to your own DB account.

1 Like

Seems clear to me.

Nothing is clear until Ron comes back tells us who, if any of us at all, has cracked the case.

1 Like

I’m logged on but I see only one icon (log spot). Do I need to upgrade to SOTAwatchDeluxe? [and how much is it?]

2 Likes

No, Tom needs to downgrade from Admin status! There are extra buttons that allow Admins to edit existing spots or delete them completely. You should just the single logging button.

3 Likes

You might get an invite to FE for saying that :wink:

1 Like

I already have an account on FE.

2 Likes

You will see three icons against your own spots.

1 Like

Hi Tom and all.
Tom, I think you get the nearest to Kitty prize. Thanks.

On my phone display after spotting the little icons were close together and partly obscured. I did inadvertently key in 14.319 instead of 14.310. It seems that in attempting to edit the spot I have unintentionally logged a contact. I could not get the edit to stick, apparently because I was logging not editing. Must have taken 4 attempts.

Now I know about the logging function “fat finger trap” I’ll turn my phone sideways and try to magnify the image so its easier for me to fix errors.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Ron
VK3AFW
Edit. I hadn’t realised that I could log from SOTAwatch. Handy for some, dangerous for fat fingered fogies.

4 Likes