Whitfell G/LD-032 Qualified on 23cm FM

Many thanks all who tried today, I’m sorry to have missed G6GVI,G6GEY and G6OXW, maybe my radio has a G6 filter :wink:

We decided to make a change from the advertised Blackcombe and opted for Whitfell instead, as Chris (M0KPW) is still getting over his cold.

Unfortunately the battery in the tracker failed after 600m of travel. I had not charged it, but I thought it was fine as it’s lasted for many hours previously, something I’ll have to keep and eye on for possible future replacement.

It was an enjoyable, although wet walk as usual(good old Sealskin socks) to the summit, about 70mins of ascent. When we got to the top, there was scattered mist, but that soon cleared and we were left with lovely sunshine, although a stiff breeze, I used the cairn to provide respite from that. Many thanks to the ancients that are buried under there for the use.

Spookily, I was messaged by Dave G0IVA just as my hand touched the trig point, so I had a quick brew and worked him on the rubber duckie aerial easily. I was up there a bit earlier than I had predicted so things were a bit slow initially and I thought I might not make the four required QSO’s, but I need not have worried as this was easily done with a total of eight stations in the log.

G0IVA 5/7 x 2

G4BLH/M 3/1 x 2

G4CLE 5/9 5/6

G4NOY 5/5 x 2

M8GYO 5/3 x 2

G8ZLU

G8CPZ 5/6 x 2

G0LLU 5/3 4/1

Equipment was just 1 watt from the Alinco Handie and the 12 elements from the back end of a Tonna beam, hand held.

Many thanks all for making it a successful activation, I see that I last qualified this summit in 21 with six QSO’s, so nice to beat that.

The Alinco worked well with the battery pack modification from Ross G6GVI using Lipo’s, I’ve just put it back on charge and it’s still 82% full, nice to be able to keep and older radio alive.

Nick G0HIK

9 Likes