Which SOTA ref is "F/TK-076"?

As announced by F8BBL?

73 Norby

In reply to LX1NO:
Perhaps it should be TK/TK-076 Norby? But I can’t find a reference to Corsica either :-(.
Can someone please explain?

Roger G4OWG

Corsica did commence initial work on a new association some time ago, but nothing has been heard for a long while now. So, at present, TK is not a SOTA association. I have no idea where the reference number comes from!

The SOTA Management Team would welcome further interest/progress from TK.

Tom M1EYP

So, it’s nothing but a good joke:

Sat 20:32 TK/F8BBL/P/QRP on F/TK-076 7,032 cw
in 12h … from Capo Rosso CORSICA Isl Eu-014 see you (Posted by F8BBL )

In reply to LX1NO:

So, it’s nothing but a good joke:

It’s also an abuse of the “spots” system. Announcement of future activity should be an “alert”.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks! That’s the way how a lot of OPs spam the spot system … like on DX-Cluster.

In reply to M1MAJ:

I agree.

(Dons Moderator hat)

In future any spot appearing that should be an alert will be deleted.

I suspect he was trailing his coat trying to provoke a bit of action on the Corsican front.

Brian G8ADD

There is a justifiable case for using the Spots to notify of future activity. The case I am thinking of, is where you are away from home and updating your plans, or when the activity is imminent.

For instance, if I’m on holiday, and I want to convey “actually the 2nd summit today will be…” via my mobile, then I would have thought the Spots was the best way of doing that. Certainly, when I make a last minute decision at 6.15am that I am going to do The Cloud SP-015 before work, then the Spots is a much more effective way of informing people than the Alerts, with such short notice. Of course, if I know the night before, then it goes on the Alerts.

So was this TK thing just an IOTA activity then, or is F8BBL on a summit that would become a SOTA if/when Corsica has an association? I think he did use the Alerts in the first case, and the spot of “QRV in 12 hrs” was probably sent via his 'phone from his holiday location. Hardly crime of the century!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to M1MAJ:

I agree.

(Dons Moderator hat)

In future any spot appearing that should be an alert will be deleted.

Brian G8ADD

We will hold you to that Brian, no matter who the offender is, stand by your words and don’t you forget;-) and NO exceptions or favouritism.

In reply to M1EYP:

There is NO excuse whatsoever to use the spots for alerts, whether on holiday or otherwise. If you can access the spots page, then you can access the alerts page, alternatively you can self spot on the spots page as soon as you are ready to start your activation. There is no need for “qrv in X hours” on the spots. A couple of ops self spot, setting up now, qrv in 5 mins and I see no problem in that.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1EYP:
Just back from holidays, I can give you some explanations.

Last february, I wrote TK ARM, in French and English (I sent a post to the reflector ‘TK is on the way’ and many friends were happy for their next holidays).

BUT :

• Corsica is a DXCC
  • Corsica needs a ‘TK’ association. French Associatation cannot manage ‘TK’ summits…
  • It’s a pity, because Corsica hams want to be ‘french’… and we, french, wants it too…

Well, I tried to find some TK ham to stand up a TK association… unforunatly, nobody wants to do the job, and it is their right.

I suggest that French association will manage TK summits ! but I cannot make this decision.

About Laurent F8BBL, I think that he believed that TK was an ‘official’ association (I sent him the TK ARM few months ago). As said Tom, it is a pity, but not a crime! and if Laurent climbed the summit, I find it better than laying on the Corsica beach… hum…not very sure abt these last words…

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to M1EYP:

There is NO excuse whatsoever to use the spots for alerts, whether on
holiday or otherwise.

As one who is guilty of using spots for alerts (ONLY when on holiday), are you implying that chasers do not need/appreciate a couple of hours warning that an activation (in my case, these days, hf ssb) is to occur? Not being very computer oriented (I am trying to be polite to avoid being moderated) I have tried and failed to use the internet access which my mobile phone is supposed to allow. If you are au fait with these things, perhaps I could drop in/meet you sometime for a lesson.

Perhaps a few chasers would like to give their views.

As spotlite is to seen as exclusively for spots, is there any chance that a similar facility could be made available for alerts?

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN.

In reply to M0DFA:

I repeat my answer given in another thread:

“What about Summits on the Air instead of Summits on the Air ?”

73 Norby

In reply to M0DFA:

To be honest Dave I don’t have a problem with ANY person alerting via the spots page for an activation 12 hours in advance. It’s to the activator’s and chaser’s advantage.

My Idea of spots abuse is when someone spots “my mate at a castle” or “Mr. X, IOTA not sota” or any other non sota activity. The place for that stuff is the reflector.

Regards Mike GW0DSP

In reply to LX1NO: Thanks for suggestion, Norby. I’ve tried it on both my mobiles (T-mobile and Vodafone) and both come back with the same reply : ‘Gatekeeper error : failed to instantiate’ whatever that means.

As an only partialy converted computer Luddite, I sometimes feel the urge to throw the whole lot out of the window.

In the same thread that you refer to, I believe it was stated (no, I know full well, because I replied to it) that Spots with a long QRV would automatically be converted to Alerts. Has this now been dropped?

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to M0DFA:

To be honest Dave I don’t have a problem with ANY person alerting via
the spots page for an activation 12 hours in advance.

Mike, I am now totally confused, comparing you statement above with the statement you made in your reply to Tom on 20th July at 09:02.

At the risk of labouring the point and being threatened with moderation, just what is it to be, as your statements appear to me to be contradictory.

Regards, Dave

In reply to M0DFA:

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to M0DFA:

To be honest Dave I don’t have a problem with ANY person alerting
via
the spots page for an activation 12 hours in advance.

Mike, I am now totally confused, comparing you statement above with
the statement you made in your reply to Tom on 20th July at 09:02.

Dave, I can see why it would look confusing but I stand by my last statement as quoted above. I had a reason for my reply to Tom which only Brian G8ADD will understand because we exchanged emails. I will try and explain, but don’t really want to re-kindle this thread’s “debate”.

Brian G8ADD official forum moderator made a ruling that ANY alerts via spots with a time span of a couple of hours difference would be removed, see announcement thread. I emailed Brian and explained my opinion, that he would have to stick religously to his ruling or face cries of favouritism, that’s all I will reveal of our email exchanges which were private and between Brian and I.

The next thing that happened was what I feared the most, a spot from Tom or Jimmy while on their hols alerting 2 hours and 40 minutes ahead of shedule, it could have been anyone but it just happened to be them, so no inference to them other than it would lead to Brian’s non action.
I make it 100% perfectly clear that I had NO problem with that spot what ever under the circumstances, they were away from home enjoying a holiday, BUT and it was a big BUT in my opinion, Brian had failed to rule on his own ruling of just 2 days earlier and I feared the cries of “MT looking after their own”, or Brian getting verbal abuse. Brian may want to confirm I’m telling the truth or otherwise. I class Brian as a good friend, a very honest man and true to his word and I was offering him advice, the way I saw it, the rest is history.

The bottom line Dave, I am in favour of the spots page being used for SOTA alerts where circumstances come into play, it’s common sense, ie when you are away in your camper, Tom alerting before leaving school, alerts prior to a serious ascent etc just to mention a few. I AM agaist “Fred activating a castle” or “Bob for IOTA” on the SOTA spots though. I am not the bad guy that I sometimes get painted Dave, those who have met me or know me personally will vouch for that.

I hope that explain things.

Best regards
Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

hi all,

I Just come back from Corsica Islands holidays …
Don’t worry !!! the radio it’s just a game : SOTA, IOTA, DX, CONTEST etc etc it’s just an amusement.

I believed that TK was an ‘official’ association !
I really went on the top of the mountain and especially that I had fun!
Is this not the main thing ?
See you on the next summit.

73 Laurent TK/F8BBL/qrp/p

In reply to M0DFA:

Dave, I never tried this myself. It would simply get too expensive since I’m in roaming mode all the time and companies like to charge a lot.
The Gatekeeper message probably comes from something like a firewall or proxy server with some security settings (it’s a guess).

73 Norby