Where have all the telescopic poles gone?

Beware of travelling with a pole in your rucksack as hand luggage. I did it twice until a friend was forced to put his into the hold unguarded as security felt it could have been used as a weapon on board. Now I always take a 20/23 kgs hold suitcase with fishing pole and walking poles in that, having said that I tend to go on longer tours than I did some years ago.

73 Phil G4OBK / OK8CDX

1 Like

Mine is always in the checkin luggage. Just arrived near HB/BE-104 (or is 102) but there is a significant rainstorm right now which is interupting activating ! :cloud_with_rain: :frowning:

1 Like

Oh sh… hope you managed it I must check the spots

1 Like

Gladstonbury?

1 Like

I lost the rubber bung for my 4m Spirit-of-Air Windsock pole when using the pole as a machete to slash my way through head-high wet stinging nettles on my way up a GM/SS summit (as one does!).

I cut and painted a champagne cork as a replacement which has worked well for several years now.

7 Likes

I had the same problem - most of the poles now are carbon fibre (expensive) and telescope by pulling them through and twisting to lock them, which is great for a carp pole but not so good if you put a compression load on them as they tend to collapse.

Have a search for ‘Put over pole’. These are the older design and are far more able to hold a wire in the air over a prolonged period. They are also cheaper!

1 Like