Whats the point?

In reply to M0LMP:

Is it groundhog day today?

How about a summit to summit award ?

Exists already, don’t you know about it?

how about using the p100 rule to allow more of the lower summits to be used

Two soundings have been taken of G-association chasers/activations. Not many people expressed an opinion but the majority view was to keep the status quo.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0LMP:

Lee, I thank you for the constructive comments, but must warn you that your comments about the LD-001 activation are now well across the line of what I deem acceptable. The targets of your derogatory comments are not in a position to read and reply to your criticisms, so there is absolutely no justification for harping on about it in such terms. You will now wait until your criticisms can be answered by the activators.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
OK, thats me told !!! I thought I left school 27 yrs ago…

One of the schemes most prolific if not the most prolific activator has already aired his view in the first few posts of this thread.

As instucted I will now shut mi gob as we say here up North

Lee
PS sorry Brian theres was one other suggestion, why not let a summit be activated more than once but less than thrice in a calendar year ?? Just another one for the pot

OK, I’m back. Some thoughts about this week’s activations.

First of all, I don’t recall any major campaign of self-publicity ahead of these activations. I simply posted my estimated/intended activities on SOTAwatch - nothing else. Secondly, yes, indeed, it was a family outing (no surprise there).

OK, to the activations themselves:

The first three days were based on a circular walk featured in the March 2008 edition of Trail magazine. I think the total length was about 35 miles, and the total ascent - well lots! The SOTA Beam was carried for this walk, but only as back-up, in case of not making the necessary contacts. The Trail walk did not allow for lengthy stops on each Marilyn summit - of which there were six en route (High Street LD-011, Stony Cove Pike LD-018, Red Screes LD-017, Fairfield LD-008, St Sunday Crag LD-010 and Place Fell LD-027) - so the idea was to activate all using our handhelds and SOTA Beams rucksack special antenna. This was achieved as follows, all 2m FM:

LD-011: 8 contacts
LD-018: 11 contacts
LD-017: 19 contacts
LD-007: 9 contacts
LD-010: 9 contacts
LD-027: 9 contacts

We completed the walk before 5pm on the Thursday, so after visiting a chippy in Penrith, we did a ‘bonus’ evening activation of Hallin Fell LD-043:

LD-043: 11 contacts - 7 on 80CW, 1 on 80SSB, 3 on 2FM

The fourth day was Scafell Pike LD-001. Suffice to say, Jimmy and I were a little tired after the 3-day Trail walk, so progress was not exactly rapid. We were on summit just before 1pm, and stayed until just after 2pm. It was a hot sunny glorious afternoon, and the summit, and all routes to and from were absolutely heaving.

Due to our fatigue from the previous three days, I made the decision to lighten our rucksacks. I retained the weight of the water, food and warm/waterproof clothing (which many on the mountain clearly did NOT have), but ditched the FT-817, microphone, CW paddle, HF aerial, fishing pole and SOTA Beam. The kit we retained was each of our Yaesu handhelds and the SOTA Beams RSS antenna. Some might say selfish; I say sensible.

LD-001: 24 contacts, all 2m FM

Despite the otherwise excellent weather, a fierce wind was blasting into the summit from the south. Thus Jimmy and I huddled into a small area on the north side of the large stone structure on the summit. I was well aware of the fact that I was therefore considerably screened to the south, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying a non-stop pile up for 50 minutes. I realise that the number of QSOs may seem rather low therefore, but I was not in the mood for contest style operating. I had a nice chat with everyone who called. For the last ten minutes, I decided to “brave it” in the full face of the wind, and relocated to the south side of the summit cairn. Mike GW0DSP kindly relayed this information on-air to other chasers, and via SOTAwatch. I then proceeded to work several stations who I had heard calling previously, but who hadn’t heard me when I replied. At 1302z, 2.02pm, the frequency was empty and silent for the first time in over an hour. I called again to make sure, silence reigned, and Jimmy and I set off on our long descent back to Seathwaite.

Today’s results were as follows:

LD-054: 10 contacts (6 on 80CW, 4 on 80SSB)
LD-035: 8 contacts (all 2m FM, followed by hasty retreat to escape midges)
LD-050: 12 contacts (5 on 2CW, 7 on 2FM)

Of those I alerted, I didn’t do LD-047. I did end up doing two for which I hadn’t alerted: LD-043 and LD-054. I was monitoring SOTAwatch and listening to requests from other amateurs in each activation. That is why, just to give two examples, I went to the south aspect from LD-001 to work GW1LDY (and several others as it turned out), and why I knew to turn the beam east for G4OWG on 2m CW from LD-050 earlier today. I noted that all my LD activations this week were either self-spotted, chaser-spotted or both.

So, to conclude, that’s what I did, and why. I hope not everyone is offended.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M0LMP:

PS sorry Brian theres was one other suggestion, why not let a summit be
activated more than once but less than thrice in a calendar year ?? Just
another one for the pot

Summits worth more than two points can already be activated more than once and less than thrice in a year. Are you suggesting that one point hills could be done twice a year?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0LMP:
Reports of our demise greatly exaggerated, missed just two weekends in the last couple of years(wx and health). Always carry 2m beam and usually manage over 50 qso’s.
Catch you later maybe.
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks, Tom. This should close the matter. I hope this doesn’t sully the memory of what sounds like a most enjoyable trip.

Brian G8ADD

Certainly not Brian. A 35 mile circular walk taking in 6 SOTA summits - and numerous other LD highlights as well (Kidsty Pike, Thornthwaite Crag, the C2C route from Patterdale) - with my son? And followed by England’s highest summit, a couple more uniques and Jimmy getting to the stage where his LD activator uniques record matches mine? No, it would be impossible to sully the memory and satisfaction of that.

Cheers,

Tom

Looks to be a nice trip Tom, I envy you. Congrats to Jimmy for his achievment on catching up with his dad for uniques activated.

As far as this whole topic is concerned we have a saying in Belgium: “the best fisherman are on the seafront”:

Some people should think twice before criticising others if they don’t know all the facts.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:

“the best fisherman are on the seafront”

I like that one, Peter!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Personally I prefer Carp fishing on the lakeside, the seafront can be full of nosey OAP’s dribbling ice cream all over themselves, well thats how it is up here in the North West.

Andy,
Why not let the sub 2pts be activated more than once ? it just gives us lazy ones more chance to get out again = more SOTA traffic = more interest = more participants !!

To All
2m FM used to be the backbone of SOTA, nearly all activations were on 2m, and antennae were the key to success, again I mention the SOTA beam, because it was and still is a cracking antenna, the SOTA RSS or rucksack special is not a patch on it, not long ago Ian 2E0EDX was operating Pendle Hill SP 005, just less than 1 mile from my house line of sight and he was giving 4 x 3, his mate next to him on a VX7 and ducky was 5 x 9 !! he checked and checked everything was ok and no problems reported with the antenna system, so it was deemed as a waste of time, a view shared by two other RSS owners that I know about.

Rob and Audrey,
There was no hinting of your demise Rob, and your efforts are nothing short of monumental, you are the true ambassador of SOTA, your name was in the list as one of the prolific activators and Audreys should have been in the list of prolific cake bakers !! HI, But glad you told us the kit you always take includes a beam antenna !

Thanks for the essay Tom, most interesting read and I am sure you are feeling the pinch now Jimmy is on your heels in all aspects of the phrase.

My point still stands though, if you do a 001 or any 8/10 pointer and you are operating 2m then a beam is THE antenna to use and a 1/2 wave minimum requirement surely ? Hey look maybe its me, but I would prefer to give as many chasers a chance of the 10pts and to do this the best antenna system I could carry would be taken up the hill.
I have just had a QSO with an activator on a summit, not a major one, but a reasonable one in the Dales and his opening comment apart from good morning, was “Hey Lee I am with you on the thread on the reflector !! is boils my blood when such effort is made to scale a big 'un and a crap antenna is used” he was using a 2m 5 ele beam ??!! Fantastic !!!

A lot of activators take time, expense, and effort to give us chasers the opportunity to enjoy amateur radio schemes like SOTA, for that I thank them unconditionally, but would just ask if some of them would take a look at the antenna they are going to use and ask themselves is this the best I could take given the whole circumstance of the activation. In my eyes the true spirit of SOTA is for all activators to give great opportunity to as many chasers as possible, given constraints of the summit, to work them and dish out points !!

End of my input on this thread, as its not going to change some people, but I hope it makes them think possibly a little more, thats all.

regards
Lee

In reply to M0LMP:

I think you’ve possibly just blown that commission deal Lee!

We were on summit for an hour, made 24 contacts into North Wales, Scotland, Yorkshire and Lancashire. Does anyone else really have a problem with that?

Lee, your activator log indicates that you have never made 24 or more contacts from a summit. When you did Scafell Pike, you made 6 QSOs. I wasn’t one of them, but no way would I question your equipment, planning or choice of operating style.

In my “essay” above, I have explained the reasons for my choice of equipment carried on the major days of my expedition. Please accept that these choices were made on the basis of safety and thorough planning. Radio comes a distant second to safety when planning an expedition, although we still seemed to have made plenty of QSOs!

Your input might change me Lee. I think I will concentrate more on 2m CW. It is a much more efficient mode, and where you might not be able to receive my 2m FM signal, I suspect you would have a much better chance of hearing my 2m CW. I had a very enjoyable activation on 2CW from LD-050 yesterday, so I guess that is the way forward.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M0LMP:

My point still stands though, if you do a 001 or any 8/10 pointer and
you are operating 2m then a beam is THE antenna to use and a 1/2 wave
minimum requirement surely ? Hey look maybe its me, but I would prefer
to give as many chasers a chance of the 10pts and to do this the best
antenna system I could carry would be taken up the hill.

Hate to be pedantic Lee (not like me is it ? :slight_smile: ) but the RSS is a half wave.
Having said that I note its now discontinued. I have one but not used it on a summit yet so can’t comment on its effectiveness, preferring a G4KKI collapsible slim jim which goes entirely inside rucksack.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1INK:Me aswell

In reply to 2E0NHM:

…you worked me on LD-001 Nigel!

1224z, 59/56 145.450MHz FM

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:Hi Tom yes i did work you, i don’t mean you with this summit i main in general not having a dig at you.
Regards Nigel

In reply to G4OWG:

Hi Roger

Glad you’re hanging on in there!

On Snowdon on 23rd Feb this year I used an RSS halfwave antenna and FT60, did 34 2m FM QSO’s in 50 minutes, including a very welcome one with Mick 'HJD. No sign of M0LMP in the log though, so I must have been doing something wrong.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

No sign of M0LMP in the log though, so I must have been doing something wrong.<

Sorry Paul I find your reply to be not just infantile but a pathetic jibe, and I expected a much more adult comment from you.

I am not one that sits in the shack all day, for example take this afternoon I was sans radio and antenna but at the summit of Pen-y-Ghent as a walker (my first love) and I do hear from my gang that I missed another LD-001 !!! oh dear ! wonder what antenna he was using, wonder if I would have worked him, come to think of it could I have worked Tom from the summit of LD-001 if he had been using a SOTABEAM ? no we will not know until its tried again, maybe next thursday all being well we can experiment, as I am in the LD’s for a weeks walking and plan to do LD-001 n the thursday, then it is 3 days of a music festival in Eskdale, then a few more summits. I will be taking my radio’s and a 1/2 wave but will I use them on every trip dunno, but if I do take my radio to the summit it will be including the 1/2 wave and or SOTABEAM.

Roger the RSS is a half wave I know, but more of a dummy load given its performance, and that comment is based on 4 people I know that have them and openly admit they are not very good, could also be the reason they are now discontinued. However the KKI Jpole is a great antenna, use that it is definately a performer !!!

Oh and Tom, my 6 QSO’s on LD-001 were under extremely adverse conditions as already explained, so the radio was passed to Mick 2E0HJD so he could qualify the hill then we made off, so not sure on the relevance of you mentioning it, but glad you had fantastic weather for you summit bag and sure you enjoyed the soup once back at the car… and hopefully we can work 2m CW in the very near future I will check the next three months of alerts and try and earmark one for working you.

Cheers and regards

Lee

In reply to thread:

Guys, this topic should now be put to bed. It is getting unedifying again, so stop now before somebody goes too far.

All further comments will be erased.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to All:

Dear all, the following is with sincerety;

I owe Tom (EYP) an apology, as well as everyone else who has been reading this thread.

Firstly to Tom, in my blind rage it seems you have been my sole and only target for criticism, this was not intentional, but at first it was ! if that makes sense, however as the thread progressed I tried in vain to keep pointing out that my point was solely aimed at all those that trapse up a massive summit and dont take a decent antenna, this point I stand by and hope some will appreciate my stand point. In this instance Tom was the catalyst for me making my comments, but as the thread went on a number of other comments spurned me to add to my point and Tom appearing to be the brunt, again this was not the case, I just never got chance to segregate the two. Tom has emailed me off reflector and I am goignt to reply very soon after I finish this.

When I type a message I type as I say the words in my head, much as everyone else does I presume and because of this sometimes the words typed are misconstrued. Tom has taken it personally about the “man in a chimp suit” comment, to make it clear to you all it was in my mind as “The coming of Kong” ie a great spectacle that you must see tan tan taaaaaaaaaa, but when you entered the show it was just a man in a chimp suit and not a 30ft gorilla as billed !! hope this misconstruance is now put to bed. If I wanted to make a derogitory and insulting statement or call him a name I would do it to his face or directly by email !!

To everyone else,

I stand by my comments, when someone has a pop I will pop back with the same force, if I have upset anyone then its a shame but I cannot and will not change my views or opinions to suit, I am a straight talkin’ northern lad and you will always know where you stand with me, make no mistake about that.

To all those who have emailed me directly, thanks for your support !! all I wanted was to make people think about the type and performance of the antenna you take/use if you are putting in a lot of effort to scale a “big 'un” if one person rethinks his approach to portable antennas because of this then I am happy and hopefully a few extra chasers will be too !!

I am leaving it at that, cheers all, g’nite

Lee
MØLMP