What's the hardest 1 pointer?

Wow. Amazed - and impressed - to discover that it’s been activated twice. Respect to @KB1WDW and @NM5S

2 Likes

Not to mention the lengths the government goes to to discourage SOTA activators from even getting there.
CEoTTK%202

3 Likes

That SOTA reference is G/DC-006, G/DC-007 is Watch Croft.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

In Belgium it is without doubt SOTA Summits .

Having stood on top of Conachair long before SOTA was “a twinkle in daddies eye”, I have to agree that in the UK Stack Lee and Stack Armin take the biscuit for me. Depending on the difficulty definition Saxa Vord GM SI 157, our most northerly SOTA was a hard one pointer for me. 3 days travel, 240 miles by road, overnight car ferry, 60 miles by road including 2 car ferries and finally the ever present security issues.
Regards
David G0EVV

Yeah it’s a bit steep that one! But it’s a piece of cake compared to many one pointers in G and GW!

There are a few difficult one pointers in the Shetland Islands involving long walks but well worth the effort for the stunning landscape, very friendly locals and very low traffic on excellent roads! I found GM/SI-213 White Grunafirth to be the most difficult of the ones I activated because I decided to go to the trig point.
Nick

The summit when you make an ascent and get no contacts. Or is it three contacts and the fourth never materializes???

1 Like

@VK1AD @VK1DA couple of ours would be in there

I’d nominate the western most VK2 one. Its never been done. I looked at how to get there and then started trying to find a pilot who could land on an outback track…

John VK2YW would have assessed if for feasibility, I think. He hasn’t done it so I guess it’s pretty tough.

1 Like

Summit of Low Fell last Wednesday

Bill 2IFR May be your option then. I’ve landed a plane on a rough strip but he’s painted towns red with planes.

1 Like

Devils Tower does make Low Fell or Swinside look rather trivial - but I don’t remember either as a problem anyway.
Rod

It seems to be the place where bearded white haired activators roam…Low Fell 30th January 2011. :smile:

The hardest one point summits are the one’s that you cannot get permission to activate, because even if you do a clandestine activation, under the rules it won’t count!

2 Likes

Well, don’t know a one point summit really hard in YO, but very close in YU it can be found YU/CS-033, a two point dead volcano that really make my day somewhere in August this year, thanks to Aca YU1CA.

Link to the story of the activation (Google translate)

2 Likes

Drove past Stac Pollaidh last week on route to Sgurr An Fhidhleir, car park for it was packed for it, it’s on the to do list sometime

Adrian
MM0TAI

In my post above - from several years ago - I don’t think I would now nominate any of the hills I mentioned! They all seem a lot easier when you’re not dragging a reluctant 5 year old up them!

What would I go for now in this category?

Gamallt from Abergonolwyn was tough - but easier from the other side.

Alisa Craig

Lingmoor Fell

…are ones which spring to mind.

Back on the road now for a few days to mop up some easy one-pointers between gigs!

It just goes to show how subjective this topic is! I’ve done Lingmoor Fell twice, the first time I went up by Side Pike and followed the tottering wall to the summit, the second time I followed the path by the gully that leads down to Bleatarn House. Both ways seemed easy to me. Another route goes up from near the south side of the Blea Tarn car park but it looked a bit unpleasant to me so I raised my hat to it and walked up the road to the second route!