What?

I have noticed a few Eu stations recently signing with 44, which until a few months ago I had never heard, despite having been licensed in 1988 and listening since 1981. The original meaning is ‘Answer promptly by wire’. I assume they mean PSE QSL but I am not sure and I don’t seem to be able to find anything on-line or listed in either the ARRL or RSGB handbooks I own.

73 GW7AAV 30

Hi Steve

This is a greeting sent by stations activating / chasing for the WFF Awards from national parks etc which sometimes are on summits. Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors are included. I believe it is an alternative to 73. If you go to the WFF website and put your callsign into the log search you will find you have worked several of the WFF activators including me.

http://www.ew4dx.org/WFFsearch.html

44s to you!

Phil

In reply to GW7AAV:
Stephen
It represents the signature of the WFF Program (World Fauna and Flora) and signifies the four elements, Earth, Water, Air and Fire and usually replaces 73 as a sign off.
73 David/G4CMQ

In reply to GW7AAV:
It’s just a HYPE!!!

In reply to GW7AAV:

I think it’s the price of their awards in Euros.

In reply to GW7AAV:
A few stations I’ve had QSOs with in the past have signed 73 & 44. I’ve always assumed that the ‘44’ bit was ‘Good Luck’. Until your message, I didn’t realise the original meaning of ‘Answer promptly by wire’.

Jonathan
MR6HBS

In reply to G4OBK:

his is a greeting sent by stations activating / chasing for the WFF Awards

Maybe SOTA activators/chasers could adopt 99 which in some tongue in cheek lists stands for ‘Get Lost’ although in our case it would mean ‘Don’t Get Lost’ of course ;0) or ‘Have an ice cream when you get down’.

99 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to M6HBS:

QRP-ers often send 72 instead of 73.

FOC-ers send 161, which is 73 + 88.

German stations send 55, which I have always understood to mean “Good Luck”.

But WACRAL Members send 501. What is the meaning of that? I have never found out.

Walt (GR3NYY)

In reply to GW7AAV:

Maybe SOTA activators/chasers could adopt 99 which in some tongue in
cheek lists stands for ‘Get Lost’ although in our case it would mean
‘Don’t Get Lost’ of course ;0) or ‘Have an ice cream when you get
down’.

Tee hee! I always send “GL” at the end of each SOTA QSO. I hope people don’t think it means “Get Lost!”

:slight_smile:

Walt (GR3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Have you run across Google yet?

http://www.wacral.org/Meaning_of_501.htm

In reply to G3CWI:

Have you run across Google yet?

http://www.wacral.org/Meaning_of_501.htm

I Googled for 501 and it told me it was the name of a popular version of Levis jeans!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I visited the bithplace of Mr Levi - nowt to do with him, but to patronise the 2 wonderful beer gardens there.

In reply to GW7AAV, G3NYY and G3CWI:

Maybe SOTA activators/chasers could adopt 99… ‘Have an ice cream when you get down’.

The WACRAL page explains that 99’s aren’t just an ice cream with a calorie stick stuffed into it! Besides, who could be so fortunate as to find an ice cream van waiting for them at their parking spot?

73 es 501, Gerald G4OIG
WACRAL member

501! and there was me thinking numerology conflicts with Biblical teachings.

99 meaning ‘good health’ could be ‘have a beer when you get down’ as ‘your good health’ is interchangeable with cheers, so it could be appropriate.

Besides, who could be so fortunate as to find an ice cream van waiting for them at their parking spot?

It happens sometimes, if you plan it right or you could just buy a plug in freezer for the car.

A friend of mine had some Levi 501s when we were teenagers, but like myself could not handle the button fly so his mum replaced the buttons with eyelets and a shoelace. That worked well until in a pub toilet one day he got the lace knotted and he was desperate. None of us would help him out so he came back to the bar. Picture the scene as his girl friend knelt on the floor trying to unpick the knot and the reaction of people entering the pub. He was glowing red and never wore those jeans ever again. So 501 would not be a good greeting for me as it would just make me think about those Levi’s and start laughing.

Steve

In reply to GW7AAV:

So 501 would not be a good greeting for me as it would just make me think about those Levi’s and start laughing.

Must remember that - I’ll say the greeting just as I pass it back to you - given enough time to let you recall the event! :wink:

Besides, who could be so fortunate as to find an ice cream van waiting for them at their parking spot? - It happens sometimes…

Obviously it’s those Mr Softie summits you activate Steve. I couldn’t even get one to appear on St Boniface Down (G/SE-008) the week before last… and wasn’t it hot! :frowning:

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Obviously it’s those Mr Softie summits you activate Steve. I couldn’t
even get one to appear on St Boniface Down (G/SE-008) the week before
last… and wasn’t it hot! :frowning:

The most expensive ‘99’ ice cream I have ever had the misfortune to buy was sold to me from an ice-cream van on G/SC-008 last summer. Worse even than London prices! Never again!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walter
here are some more:

33 - greeting from (X)YL´s to (X)YL´s
77 - greeting of DIG (Diploma Interests Group) members
how about 7UP - sometimes used in split-operations,
but also possible for a drink-QRX of the dear SOTA-activator :wink:

Happy 1st of May
DL4FDM,HB9CSA

In reply to DL4FDM:
55 is best of luck F.Y.I.

In reply to G4OIG:
Perhaps SOTA activators/chasers could adopt ‘Legs’ 11 to send. Perhaps to convey the spirit of SOTA in walking to the summit or signifying a pair of walking poles!

73 & 11

Jonathan
MR6HBS

In reply to G3NYY and MR6HBS:

Well that’s a double whammy Walt - no significant calories lost on the ascent of that summit, yet plenty gained with the ‘99’. No doubt you’ll be telling us your fitness rating has gone down! :slight_smile:

I like your idea of ‘11’ Jonathan. Presumably never to be used from “drive on” summits.

73, Gerald G4OIG